Has anyone not bought the current generation consoles yet?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikarmue

Reaction score
Topic.

I ask this because my friend keeps pressuring me to buy an Xbox One when I have told him before that I am wanting to build a gaming PC. Not to mention the fact that I already own games either in my Steam library or on my PS3 that I haven't even played through yet.

List your reason(s) why you have not bought a PS4, Xbox One, or Wii U yet if you haven't bought a current generation system.

I haven't yet but really need to because Batman Arkham Knight comes out on Tuesday. They are just so expensive though. Can't really afford to drop 450 on a gaming console.

The year the PS4 came out, I bought my kids a PS3. I have no desire to have the latest stupid console. The only reason I bought the PS3 is because I made a promise to my kids and to fulfill said promise, I kind of needed to. They also have a Wii, but I've heard the Wii basically sucks, so they won't be getting that.

I have the PS1, 2 and 3, the Wii, a computer and an Atari. That's more than enough.

I have bought practically every computer, console and handheld released between the early 80s and the last generation - most of them on release day - and all I've got for it is bent over and shafted by the various gaming companies. I've watched gaming degenerate to a lowest common denominator hobby where you're basically milked of every available penny with microtransactions, DLC, online fees, themes, avatars etc. They then have the gall to bombard you with advertisements at every turn too!

I promised myself at the end of the last generation that I would return to PC only gaming, and so far I have stuck to that. It's certainly been the right decision, because the only game I feel that I have missed out on since the Xbox One and PS4 were released is Bloodborne.

PC gaming is initially more expensive, but if you're a frequent gamer then you save in the long run and get to play most games with much better visuals, in a higher resolution and with a better frame rate. You also get loads of free mods, so that you can tailor the game to your own satisfaction.

I might end up with another console at some point in the future, but it's going to take one hell of an exclusive to make that happen.

No, I don't own the latest consoles for a few reasons. I can't afford them and the games that go with them and then if I can scrape the money together to get one I only have to remind myself that they will only be popular for a few more years until the new one gets pushed on us. The PS4 seems to look pretty good right now but when Sony introduces the PS5 this one is going to be subtly pushed to the background in favor of its younger and better looking sibling.

I vote for a universal console. Not everyone likes playing on PC (although it would be great if everything was available on there). And I find emulators rather annoying. So Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo - get your stuff together and make me a mega machine! :D

AmytheTemperamental said:
I vote for a universal console. Not everyone likes playing on PC (although it would be great if everything was available on there). And I find emulators rather annoying. So Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo - get your stuff together and make me a mega machine! :D

Most of the people that I have met that don't like playing games on PC are labouring under several misapprehensions. I usually hear things along the lines of:

"I can't use a controller"

Yes, you can, and you can choose whether you want it to be an Xbox One/Xbox360/PS3/PS4 controller or something entirely different.

"I like to play on the couch and my TV not a tiny monitor"

Well, your TV is just a giant monitor with a TV tuner anyway, so it's just as easy to connect a PC to that. Wireless pads, mice and keyboards will handle the rest. I'm typing this sat on a leather recliner in front of a large LED TV.

"PC games need constant patches and effort."

True... but then so do console games. Steam/Origin/uPlay will handle any patches for you in the same way a console does.

"PCs are too expensive"

This is kind of correct. You can spend a massive amount of money on a gaming rig, but it is possible to build one for not much more than the cost of a PS4 that will perform in a similar way and it can do so much more.

If you choose to spend a bit more for a better system then those costs can be recouped from much cheaper games. You can pre-order Arkham Knight Premium Edition for £24 - it's almost 3 times that price on the PS4 at the cheapest place I can find it. There are also no yearly fees to play online.

15 years ago, all of these would have been valid reasons, but these days, it's as simple as clicking play and that's pretty much it.

It would be nice if all the 'exclusives' came out on PC, but I can do without the ones that don't.

I stopped buying consoles around 2001 due to price and selection. There are enough games for me to enjoy on PC, something which I'll have for other purposes, anyway, and to even play games on console I have to spend hundreds of dollars first on something that I'll only use for video games. The most my PC needs to play modern games is an upgrade maybe every few years depending on what it is I want to play and on what settings.

Three hundred dollars is a lot of things other than an X-box. I was tempted to go PC only from the day my parents stopped buying video games for the kids, because even a DS was more than the cost of a concert with the few friends I had.

I was considering buying the new 1TB Xbox One but the cost is prohibitive. I find it difficult to justify buying something that has maybe a 10 to 20% graphics jump over the previous generation.

I'm PC guy, no console for me. Don't know, don't have the liking for them, maybe I like Keyboard-mouse combo more than controller. And best thing is I can upgrade my PC overtime.

I haven't jumped ship to the current generation of consoles yet although I intend to at some point as some of the games interest me. I've been waiting for there to be a decent selection of games to play but also, like others have said, cost is another issue. I still want to play my PS3 games too at the moment and can't do that on a new console. I'll probably get a PS4 in a year or two. Not sure about the wiiU yet, some of the games interest me but I wasn't happy with the wii so am a bit more cautious about getting Nintendo's next console.

I've inherited my brother's PS3 for the time being. I do love playing some PS3 games when I'm in the mood, but I have to say I prefer PC gaming on most occasions simply because it just feels much more convenient and versatile. As in I can game and do other things on my computer at the same time, if you know what I mean. Back to OP's question, I highly doubt I would invest in any new consoles for now not just because I can't afford one, but also because I would need a seriously good reason for it. In the meantime, I am content with what I have.

ladyforsaken said:
I've inherited my brother's PS3 for the time being. I do love playing some PS3 games when I'm in the mood, but I have to say I prefer PC gaming on most occasions simply because it just feels much more convenient and versatile. As in I can game and do other things on my computer at the same time, if you know what I mean. Back to OP's question, I highly doubt I would invest in any new consoles for now not just because I can't afford one, but also because I would need a seriously good reason for it. In the meantime, I am content with what I have.

I have two Ps3 games I can't play on my PS4. What's your address? :)

I'm always a console gamer - had a a PC gaming rig back in the late 90s (AMD K6 266mhz with 32mb RAM 8mb AGP and Voodoo 2 graphics accelerator, SB Live! soundcard) which was ace but after a few months I found myself struggling to run games and ended up being a business machine only while I got an Xbox.

I never buy current gen consoles though until they are a couple of years old, so they are half the price and a decent library of games behind them.

My reluctance to PC gaming is simply the initial up front cost. I have no issues building my own gaming PC from components but it's just the sheer price of the bits.

I did plan to get a PS4 at some point, but it's money really; I've always got better things to spend it on. Besides, I'm not a hardcore gamer and only like certain games.

No new consoles for me. Console gaming has become awfully boring lately. Don't see the point unless you can host a live multiplayer session.

I have plenty of games to occupy me on PS3 for now.

I don't want to blow my limited money on a PS4 because prettier graphics doesn't matter to me much. I hear it's also missing features that are on PS3. Also the online gaming is free on PS3 (with internet) but it's not on PS4 or XB1.

I always wait till they go down big time in price, it also gives them time to correct bugs,hardware and software issues, also all the games that came out now by then are much cheaper.

My xbox 360 I am still playing games on at the moment, so I am good.

Nah, I ponied up and got a PC with a decent GPU instead. The days of high quality console exclusives are over. Finally got to play classics like Planescape Torment (it's excellent).

Latest posts

Back