If you can choose

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zhara

Reaction score
If you can choose to be anything or anywhere , where would it be?
I would choose to be on a tropical island, sipping something cold:p

I'm already there, sipping something cold. :p Not all it's cracked up to be if you're a native. Life still happens in paradise. Unless you're a tourist on holiday, it's not all relaxation and fun.

But on the other hand, I would choose to fast forward a month and be back here once my holidays do truly begin. Hopefully with good news, so I can enjoy myself properly. Then I can be as much of a tourist as I want at home. Here's hoping and praying.

I would be living on the other side of the country close to my children and grandchildren. A lottery win would be the first necessity though.

I would have everything I have now except I would be living in a house with countryside around it so I didn't have to see other people if I wanted, but within 30 minutes drive to a big town or small city so I could still enjoy cinema and shopping etc.

I quite like where I live right now. Maybe I'd move into a house by one of the lakes, but those things cost a bloody fortune.

Those who are happy where they are I salute you... I must add tho im happy here aslong as it summer alltho the tropical paradise can be AWSOME.....coctail....sun...beach lol need I go on

I like warmth I cannot cope with winter, I think my system freezes lol. And there arent any antifreeze...but I know there are people that favor winter.

Rosebolt said:
Icelaaaaaaaand!!

If you want to stop off on the way there, you'll find that the Lake District looks very much like Iceland and it's usually either raining or freezing cold... probably both. :D

I'd be sitting across from my sister with a cuppa in my hand. Which sister? I don't care. Gimme a sista!

I would be in the tropical island too, haha. Silky white sand on the beach, palm trees everywhere and beautiful blue ocean. ^__^

I like Switzerland for skiing with my sister Millie. But I prefer being somewhere hot and sunny and on the beach. Ideally the southern parts of France though it's very expensive there. As for a cool long drink. Well, I was bad one day when grabbing a bottle of mega expensive Moselle. I got grounded one month for that and got shouted at by my Aunty Sara, so never did it again. But I paid her back for it.

Tropical island not for me. Tropical means snakes and spiders, creepy crawlies humidity and great big thunderstorms. Stuck on an island in a tropical storm will get your pants blown away. I like thunderstorms, but being safe inside the house with the windows closed.

Muri Beach in Rarotonga

That place holds a special place in my heart. 9/11 Happened just as I arrived there and I'll never forget being crammed into a tiny shack with dozens of others watching the horror unfold on tv. Somehow the beauty of the place took on an extra symbolic power, polarised against the bloodshed and me being thousands of miles from my family. We attended a church service for the victims, even though it was in Maori the power of the sermon was incredible. The locals put on a feast of bread and fruit for us to show that love and generosity would always defeat fear.

I'll never forget that place for the rest of my life and while I yearn to return, I fear that the lure of the tourist dollar means that there will be more hotels and it won't be the same idyllic nirvana that I remember.

Mrs Falcon said:
Tropical means snakes and spiders, creepy crawlies humidity and great big thunderstorms. Stuck on an island in a tropical storm will get your pants blown away. I like thunderstorms, but being safe inside the house with the windows closed.

As a tropical islander I'm going to try not to get too defensive. Haha :p but you're quite right about humidity. Most of the year I live in a desert climate. Which, as you can probably guess is rather dry. So when I go home, the contrast when I step off the plane is very palpable. And yes, there are bugs. Not Australia-type bugs, just regular non-murderous buggy bugs. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to disabuse you of your notion concerning everything else. We do have a monsoon season but it's generally clear skies. It's the tropics. The weather is kind of known for being sunny. Very sunny. Not desert-sunny. Usually just 25C or so. That's probably far too hot for some, but it's fine for us. And these days we have these things called fans and this other miracle they call air conditioning. Having a monsoon season doesn't mean 'tropical storms that blow your pants off.' It doesn't get that bad. And fortunately we aren't prone to hurricanes or tornados or anything of the sort.As for snakes, you're right. But only one species of non-venomous grass snake is native to our country. The biggest native reptile is a lizard that is about a little longer than a handspan. There are no large and/or venomous spiders. We have no killing-y things on land and none really in our oceans either, since even our sharks are pretty laidback. We don't have great whites or makos or things of that nature. The last shark attack wasn't in living memory I believe.
Island life at home is quite idyllic and can be very much like people imagine it to be. Everywhere but the capital island of course. Capitals anywhere are usually congested and overflowing with people. It's more beautiful than the pictures make it out to be, and the coral reefs that are our foundation make it a divers heaven, and the waves, an international surfing hotspot. My element is the water and I would not choose to be from anywhere else. I've lived more than half my life abroad, but every time I come home I appreciate being from where I am a little more. Especially since within a century or so, tiny low lying archipelagos like ours might be wiped off the map because of global warming and with the current rate of sea level rise being what it is. It's quite sad to think my future children's children may become climate refugees or environmental migrants and will only have a memory of a home country, if that.

Aisha said:
Mrs Falcon said:
Tropical means snakes and spiders, creepy crawlies humidity and great big thunderstorms. Stuck on an island in a tropical storm will get your pants blown away. I like thunderstorms, but being safe inside the house with the windows closed.

As a tropical islander I'm going to try not to get too defensive. Haha :p but you're quite right about humidity. Most of the year I live in a desert climate. Which, as you can probably guess is rather dry. So when I go home, the contrast when I step off the plane is very palpable. And yes, there are bugs. Not Australia-type bugs, just regular non-murderous buggy bugs. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to disabuse you of your notion concerning everything else. We do have a monsoon season but it's generally clear skies. It's the tropics. The weather is kind of known for being sunny. Very sunny. Not desert-sunny. Usually just 25C or so. That's probably far too hot for some, but it's fine for us. And these days we have these things called fans and this other miracle they call air conditioning. Having a monsoon season doesn't mean 'tropical storms that blow your pants off.' It doesn't get that bad. And fortunately we aren't prone to hurricanes or tornados or anything of the sort.As for snakes, you're right. But only one species of non-venomous grass snake is native to our country. The biggest native reptile is a lizard that is about a little longer than a handspan. We have no killing-y things on land and none really in the sea either, since even our sharks are pretty laidback. We don't have great whites or makos or things of that nature. The last shark attack wasn't in living memory I believe.
Island life at home is quite idyllic and can be very much like people imagine it to be. Everywhere but the capital island of course. Capitals anywhere are usually congested and overflowing with people. It's more beautiful than the pictures make it out to be, and the coral reefs that are our foundation make it a divers heaven. My element is the water and I would not choose to be from anywhere else. I've lived more than half my life abroad, but every time I come home I appreciate being from where I am a little more. Especially since within a century or so, tiny low lying archipelagos like ours might be wiped off the map because of global warming and with the current rate of sea level rise being what it is. It's quite sad to think my children's children may become climate refugees or environmental migrants and will only have a memory of a home country, if that.

That was an interesting read, but I know how over populated our inner roads become when flats are made in houses doubling the number of residents, when at one time a single family hanged out. Too many people living in one road is not good for the communitty. In the road behind where we lived before, a man and his missus had eight dogs when they got together! He was living in the upstairs flat and she was downstairs... :rolleyes:

Where we live now, the worst that can happen in our neighbourhood is if someone lost their pet boa constrictor. It happened last year, but the beastie was found at Little Paddocks pond in Ferring. It's as well they found it. Can you imagine the snake swallowing some old lady's cat? :D

The only drama that happened last week was when the boy next door's parakeet accidently got let out. The wild birds attacked and pecked it to death.

Latest posts

Back