Perfect example of how society feels about beauty (or lack of)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She sees his real beauty and that's all that matters really. The comments are made by people who are ugly on the inside. You could be the most attractive person in the world, but that's for naught if your inside is dark.

Arachne said:
She sees his real beauty and that's all that matters really. The comments are made by people who are ugly on the inside. You could be the most attractive person in the world, but that's for naught if your inside is dark.

Exactly. However, it shows how much emphasis society places on looks and conforming to social norms.

The negative comments show what the commentators are like. To me it is obvious that the picture is goofy and playful. So these people are being nasty for the sake of it or shallow and rude as someone says in the article.

Also it isn't a true representation of how everyone feels, it a small number of people, who are probably keyboard warriors looking for a way to make themselves feel better. The masses of decent people in the world, either haven't seen it or have too much taste to comment at all.

If looks don't matter then how come hundreds or thousands of armed personnel have suffered horrific injuries and disfigurements and gone on to meet people and fall in love? I have said it once again Simon Weston is a good example of this. What about the partners who stay with someone after this and still just as much in love with them, because looks fade anyway as you grow old, so the relationship must mean more than looks.

She-ra said:
The negative comments show what the commentators are like. To me it is obvious that the picture is goofy and playful. So these people are being nasty for the sake of it or shallow and rude as someone says in the article.

Also it isn't a true representation of how everyone feels, it a small number of people, who are probably keyboard warriors looking for a way to make themselves feel better. The masses of decent people in the world, either haven't seen it or have too much taste to comment at all.

The negative comments show what just about everyone out there think. I promise you more than nine out of ten people would have something insulting to say about that photo. This is a true representation of how people feel.

She-ra said:
If looks don't matter then how come hundreds or thousands of armed personnel have suffered horrific injuries and disfigurements and gone on to meet people and fall in love? I have said it once again Simon Weston is a good example of this. What about the partners who stay with someone after this and still just as much in love with them, because looks fade anyway as you grow old, so the relationship must mean more than looks.

Who the hell is Simon Weston?

Simon Weston is Falklands War Veteran who sustained 46% burns, he met his wife after this.

http://simonweston.com

May I ask what is with the "hell" in your comment, was it your intention to be rude?

She-ra said:
May I ask what is with the "hell" in your comment, was it your intention to be rude?

Please don't assume anything about me.

She-ra said:
If looks don't matter then how come hundreds or thousands of armed personnel have suffered horrific injuries and disfigurements and gone on to meet people and fall in love?

Because they're heroes. People already know what kind of person they are inside based on the service to their country, so they look past the exterior. For others, the first thing to be judged by is looks.

And as to why people stay with people who are injured, the love is already there.

In most cases, looks are required to even get someone to consider you as a romantic interest. In these cases, it's the heroism that causes the initial attraction. Apples/Oranges.

LonelyInAtl said:
In most cases, looks are required to even get someone to consider you as a romantic interest.

Romantic Interest, try getting a job. Try opening a business. Yup my childhood was filled with well meaning people telling me beauty was on the inside. But it isn't. Beauty or even thinness is a flat out advantage in this day and age. I wish I had known and taken appropriate steps to be as attractive as possible.

BeyondShy said:
She-ra said:

The negative comments show what just about everyone out there think. I promise you more than nine out of ten people would have something insulting to say about that photo. This is a true representation of how people feel.

And how many people get on reddit? Last time I checked not the entire world. I don't think it's a true representation at all. People are mean on the internet.

This woman is attracted to her boyfriend, it's a part of relationships. You may not find him attractive, but she does, and that is how attraction works. Different people have difference preferences, that's why we argue all the time.

We were eating lunch, and a co-worker was describing her perfect man. In all seriousness she listed: Tall, dark hair, beer belly pooch (I swear, she said this), pale, and broad shoulders. I saw her boyfriend for the first time last week, and to me, holy hell he is ugly in my opinion, but he is exactly what she describe and perfect for her.

This is a depressing post, because it's true. People will always judge. And this is the internet. And that's reddit. Unfortunately, that sort of thing is to be expected.
I agree with everyone else about inner beauty. But this is a post about the exterior, which is what people notice first. Inner beauty takes longer to come to light. He's a perfectly normal looking guy. No one would say anything about there being a disparity in their looks if his weight was average. I can understand what everyone's saying, but comparing 'horrific injuries and disfigurements' to excess weight is not quite the same is it? Much of the time, excess weight is optional. Injuries and disfigurements are not. Personally, obesity would concern me since it is a major health issue and brings with it the risk of diabetes and other comorbidities and a decreased life expectancy. Everyone has a responsibility towards their own body and health. But love doesn't care about that sort of thing and doesn't work that way. People like what they like and nobody should ever be shamed for looking a certain way, especially just because they deviate from what's considered the norm.
That picture reminds me of a couple I know. Even when we were in high school her preference was for larger gentlemen. Her biggest crush then, as I recall, was on someone who looked like Cee Lo Green, but bigger. She is herself still a very beautiful and very popular girl. Her husband is at least 3-4 times her weight, isn't exactly tall, has cystic acne, and is perhaps not conventionally good looking. But he is the best looking person to her and they are very much in love. That's all that really matters in the end, isn't it? Love is a beautiful thing.
Everyone has issues and insecurities with their bodies and their looks, most people are just lucky enough that it's easy to hide and not immediately noticeable and isn't socially stigmatized. Also, no matter how conventionally good looking you are, there will always be someone who puts you down for your looks because to them you're ugly. Celebrities can probably vouch for that.

of course looks matter, anybody who says different is completely wrong.
But people are different, attractiveness is subjective.

I say keep positive, have a great personality and try to look the very best you can !

Triple Bogey said:

Not completely, I'd say. Some people really don't care for this, no matter how much some people would think so.

To young people my age, especially girls, looks are everything. This also applies to boys, but I don't think so much. The boy I knew and got closest to, Robby, he was what you would have called ugly. Ears stuck out "like Dumbo", very cruel remarks made by his class mates. But Robby had the heart of an angel. Looks did not count for him, but his heart was gold and he was a loving gentle boy. Robby died of cancer. He would have been same age as me had he survived. So I know the pain he went through was often more at the time for him being bald from the radiation treatment, but he braved through it all to the day he died in my arms.

Now, I don't have wonderful looks either. But I have a megawatt smile. :D

Girls are always worrying bout their looks. Some get eating disorders because they com pensate by eating too much what is bulimia, a serious illness and the other end of the same is anorexia. Just trying to look thin like models can start the downhill struggle so girls are the ones who pay for the terrible times of trying to look pretty and attractive to others. Thankfully it's not always true what girls get ill with eating disorders, but for their parents its a constantly worrying thing.

The mental cruelty often starts in school. Bullying, especially in UK schools is being dealt with more now than ever before and most schools have "Zero Tolerance Towards Bullying". That is good. But what about the ones who get digged at when nobody is watching? Again, issues like this begin at school and teachers look out for it.

People on the internet will judge and they can't help it because the internet breeds thems what make others lives a misery. It's more than trolling. There are people what make unfair remarks even on You Tube.

ladyforsaken said:
Triple Bogey said:

Not completely, I'd say. Some people really don't care for this, no matter how much some people would think so.

I think - 'if looks don't matter then why do people spend a fortune trying to improve them ?'

Looks are important to me. I'll admit to that. Of course personality is as important. A beautiful woman who never smiles wouldn't interest me one bit.

Triple Bogey said:
Looks are important to me. I'll admit to that. Of course personality is as important. A beautiful woman who never smiles wouldn't interest me one bit.

Of course looks don't matter in some ways. Recently I have begun to think of looks as "station". In the past polite society you marry someone who was really ugly but had a similar social class to you. But now that we don't have such things... people look to classify themselves with equal people and looks is a way of doing that.

I do think that some marriages suffer when one partner "lets themselves go" as it isn't so much about looks but bring the couple down in class / societal relations.

Latest posts

Back