That Friend...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueforge88

Reaction score
I have a friend that, I've known since high school that is currently in a long term relationship. He really didn't start having luck with ladies until, after we graduated high school. For, the past decade of our friendship he has had plenty of success with ladies where I have failed but, he has a problem that affects his friendships with others and relationships. He has no sense of responsibility or fear of consequence.

He is the kind of guy, who will go behind your back doing something idiotic that, breaks your trust and have no remorse for what he does. He's made attempts to seduce the girlfriends of two mutual friends and got caught for it once. This ruined a friendship between, himself and another friend. His attitude towards the situation was pretty much: "It was her fault and he should thank me for exposing girlfriend as a slut. I'm just pissed he didn't invite me to their wedding!"

Typically, he will meet a lady, strike her fancy with conversation and charming his way into her life. Then lives off her like a parasite until, he tires of her or she starts getting to attached to him. Then, he moves on to the next girl and at some point balances between two or three women. He has been with his current girlfriend for two years now, and he's disappointed her countless times. She understands who he is as person but, even after he cheats on her she still continues to cook for him, provide for him and lets him drive her car. He'll do small things to keep her happy but, he knows she is just tolerating his antics. To add to his delight, she has agreed to an open relationship because, she knows he cant be trusted to commit and she wants to travel the world. Her only condition is "That he doesnt tell another woman his emotional drama, that he hasent told her". Which I think is pretty dumb.

As for me, they both seem to pity the fact that, I am alone and Im often the butt of their jokes. They also find themselves providing me relationship "advice". The fact that, I want a monogamous and sincere relationship to them is laughable. However, even more deeper than that, he gf hits on me very subtly. She's forced kissed me, insinuated something between us, and brushes it off as a joke but, even more recently shes flashed me behind his back. His answer to this was, that of all the men she can sleep with, that I am off limits and if, i did it behind his back, he'd never forgive me. My answer to him was "@#$% you!"

So, I decided to distance myself from the both of them. For someone, who has always wanted a meaningful relationship and gone his adult life without, one I feel like being around someone like him is a slap to the face. I'm willing to be commited and there for someone I love, and hes out damaging any semblance of a healthy relationship and gets rewarded for it on top of it. I'm not stupid enough to engage with his gf but, part of me feels like if I did it would be well deserved. However, I'll keep my honor and continue searching for something meaningful. In the meantime, he continue to let people down until, he reaches a point where he is powerless to do so.

Huh. Well, the reward that he gets from society, to be the way that he is, will keep him stuck in being the way he is. From where I sit, the reward looks rather like a punishment.

No slight against you meant, the gf might really be attracted to you, but I can see that her intentions toward you might be a tool to get back at him for his callous behaviour.

THAT friend is better kept at a distance, good on you.

I can only see this as helping you and your chances of coming across as a decent human being to new company, honestly.

Blueforge88 said:
However, I'll keep my honor and continue searching for something meaningful. In the meantime, he continue to let people down until, he reaches a point where he is powerless to do so.

Good for you, blueforge! Well done. It's good to be reminded that honor, dignity and pride are still concepts some people value. And you know the point that you mentioned is a point he will definitely eventually reach. I pity him when he finds out the consequences of his choices.

BeyondShy said:
And yet this guy has someone and I don't. Hilarious.

Yes he has someone, but look at the quality of the someone he has. Would you want someone like that guy's girlfriend turned out to be? She seems to be as willing to cheat on him just as he does with her. Their morals, if they have any, are on a whole different tangent to most people's. The majority of people would choose quality over quantity, when it comes to partners. At least that's what I choose to believe. I may just be being excessively naive.

Sometimes said:
No slight against you meant, the gf might really be attracted to you, but I can see that her intentions toward you might be a tool to get back at him for his callous behaviour.

Your right, I do feel like I'd be an asset. She and I get along and she has done nice things for me as friend but, I'm refuse to participate in the building drama that, is their relationship. She can take that leap with another guy!

Aisha said:
Blueforge88 said:
However, I'll keep my honor and continue searching for something meaningful. In the meantime, he continue to let people down until, he reaches a point where he is powerless to do so.

Good for you, blueforge! Well done. It's good to be reminded that honor, dignity and pride are still concepts some people value. And you know the point that you mentioned is a point he will definitely eventually reach. I pity him when he finds out the consequences of his choices.

BeyondShy said:

Yes he has someone, but look at the quality of the someone he has. Would you want someone like that guy's girlfriend turned out to be? She seems to be as willing to cheat on him just as he does with her. Their morals, if they have any, are on a whole different tangent to most people's. The majority of people would choose quality over quantity, when it comes to partners. At least that's what I choose to believe. I may just be being excessively naive.

BeyondShy, it is frustrating that certain people have what we desire. I've had to deal with it for a long time. I don't think its fair that, someone takes advantage of others should always come out on top. However, the world can be unforgiving and if, I hold on to how I feel, I just become this envious, spiteful creature. In short, I'd be a new "creature" created from my feelings of an unfair situation. So, I am choosing to remove myself from the situation. Yes, he has something I dont but, its a relationship built without trust and only continuing because, one person cannot commite and another person refuses to let go because, shes insecure about breaking off the relationship. I know, I'd never want to be with someone, who cheats just because, its fun or they find thrill in it and has no regards to how I feel.

Aisha, you are very correct about whats going on. My friends gf is not a bad person but, she is unable to cut him off. She acknowledges who he is and rather than let him go, she is mostly staying with him for security. I think their morals match the kind of lifestyle they live. I agree, with quality or quantity but, some people are tied to their emotions (what feels right over what is right). My friend is not a provider and that is the reality that, gradually shows itself ever year. The smart thing for me to do is move on with my life and prove to be a better partner for whoever, I meet.

Aisha said:
BeyondShy said:

You're right, you're right. :)

I guess one of a few possible conclusions is that it seems likely you can't be a charismatic guy and experience much natural guilt, at the same time.

The question is raised then, if one could discard guilt.. could one become more charismatic, or otherwise more attractive in some way?

BeyondShy said:
lifestream said:
Gosh, what an awful human being. Good riddance!

Agreed 100%.

Yes, but would you want someone like her? I would love to be in a relationship, to share life with someone and to know we are there for each other, but to be with someone who would hit on someone else etc. No, I would not want such a partner.

Latest posts

Back