Looking for some advice re dental work..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySutton

Reaction score
I am confused as could be and just looking to bounce some ideas off people.

2000 I started seeing a good dentist. He was pretty conservative. Every time I went though he asked about my teeth. He felt my teeth had been worn down and always suggested a night guard. I did that but didn't feel it was grinding because after a year I saw nothing indicating grinding on the guard. I stopped wearing it. He suggested at some point all my teeth would have to be crowned.

2015 -- can't see that much as changed on my teeth and in fact, once asked my dentist point blank if there had been much damage since coming to him. His answer - no. But this dentist is leaving the practice. His replacement, tells me I must replace all my teeth with crowns. At a cost of 28K WITH insurance. I laugh and leave. She flat out refused to replace a filling that came out (in part) because she said it would pointless -- it would just come out again.

I go to a second dentist. He immediately says pretty much the same and also will not replace the filling but insists I need a crown. He also says I will need a root canal. Eventually he goes back on that after I allow an x-ray. I leave him.

I go to a third dentist who says ALL my teeth need to be replaced with crowns but, she says, all at once and with a cost of 42K with insurance. She imho is ridiculous. I leave her. At first she said she would replace the filling but then refused saying it would just come out again.

Fourth dentist (who in every way seemed more trust worthy) said I needed my top teeth crowned only and it would likely be about 13 teeth crowned but, he said it would have to be done all at once. But he also said that (1) he didn't think the damage was from grinding and also, wanted me to get a night guard. And also found a cavity on my wisdom tooth and so he wanted to extract that.

So, you will see, 4 dentists, 4 different sets of advice.

With regard to fourth dentist... I don't like that he wanted me to get the wisdom tooth removed. My trusted dentist said the same thing several different times. It was like they just couldn't stand the idea of leaving a wisdom tooth alone. I refused. Though at the time there was no decay... but I can't help but think they make this "decay" up to get me to agree to pull it. I also don't like the night guard. If I am not grinding, why would I stick a plastic guard in my mouth all night. But dentist number four seemed the most legitimate. But he wouldn't speculate at to cost or what might happen once he got in there... suggesting that I could have my mouth destroyed only to have him be like -- well, we have to do root canals. And well, we need to do crown lengthening... or a zillion other expensive things after my teeth have been destroyed.

As for my teeth, I know you might be saying what are they stubs? No, they aren't. They are small but not bad at all. In addition they do not hurt and are not sensitive.

I am starting to think I need to just stop going to dentists until I have pain, and then at least, I will know I have a problem.

I have recently looked into rebuilding the teeth naturally, via diet, recaldant, and special tooth pastes. It is hard to tell if this is really doable.

What do you think ?

I am sorry I can't offer any real help on this. I just wanted to say Wow and I hope you get it sorted and offer a bit of UK perspective.

As far as I have ever heard and experienced, going to the Dentist in the U.K. is a very different thing. This maybe because it is subsidised as part of the NHS so they may not push for certain things, because of what they can do under funding. But still I have friends and colleagues who pay privately and they have had extensive work done, and the highest bill I have ever heard of was £6000 and that was a culmination of two years

My practice is NHS and Private. They also offer cosmetic treatments as well. I have been with them roughly 20 ish years and my Dentist about 15 of them. He is always very honest and will say it plainly. For instance I had a tooth that he was convinced would need coming out eventually, anyway he X Rayed and decided it as the root was healthy put a crown over it to protect it. When he was fitting it he was complaining about the NHS quality of Crown, he showed me the difference with a Private one, but he knew I wouldn't be able to afford it. After all the complaining he did it worked a treat and still fine 11 years later. They do recommend privately for certain procedures in the one we talked about Root Canal, he said he can do it, but it would be done far better by a different dentist and this one is Private only. I think that would have cost around £450 about 8 years ago.

Good luck with it all.

If the fourth dentist didn't suspect grinding damage, why did he suggest a guard anyway? Doesn't make sense.

VanillaCreme said:
If the fourth dentist didn't suspect grinding damage, why did he suggest a guard anyway? Doesn't make sense.

I agree. But he said he isn't sure what is causing the damage and thinks it help anyway, but to me, it screams *I want a new boat and the mark up on the guard is crazy awesome*.

Basically, everyone I talk with thinks they are all insane and trying to pad their wallets. But am I to assume that the practice of dentistry has gotten this bad that it is just a massive cash grab?

** confused**

LonelySutton said:
VanillaCreme said:

I agree. But he said he isn't sure what is causing the damage and thinks it help anyway, but to me, it screams *I want a new boat and the mark up on the guard is crazy awesome*.

Well, if he's the most trustworthy one, I'd say keep looking. Because that doesn't make sense, and if it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true. Don't know why he'd try to sell a mouth guard to anyone. You can get them in general stores usually. You don't need any particular script or anything to get a generic guard.

Can there be a fifth?

How are your teeth wearing down if you are not grinding them?

Is there any way you can crown a few of your teeth at a time? So the price isn't such a big hit. You would think they would work with you.

I am very suspicious of dentists because of this reason. Who knows if they are making these things up and trying to bring in more money for their practice by doing work you don't really need?

You probably do need some crowns since they are all suggesting the same thing though.

I would probably postpone it until there was pain or something. Unless the rationale of putting all the crowns in now is to preserve whatever underlying structure you have on those teeth.

Nicolelt said:
Is there any way you can crown a few of your teeth at a time? So the price isn't such a big hit. You would think they would work with you.

The first two dentists seemed to suggest that -- 3 or so at a time -- but the last two say that won't work because they say my bite is off. So they will have to adjust my bite and they can't do that over years. More like two months. Though I could schedule the work in December and get 1/2 done and then the other half in the "next year" for insurance purposes.

They all can't really say what is causing the problem. But mostly they feel like it doesn't matter I just need to get it fixed. This last dentist said the damage is mostly from the back to the front -- which is not typical for grinding damage but more acid (though I have none of acid things I don't even drink soda).

Here is my theory. As a child, I had to wear a backbrace. This pulled my lower jaw out more than it should have been (the last dentist told me this was the case because there is more space behind my lower molars than my top ones) and it is my tongue pushing up on the back of my upper teeth with pressure that is doing it. This roughly fits the pattern of damage. If my lower jaw is pushed forward, the tongue must be pushed forward as well. It is only my upper teeth that are in bad shape. And the pressure for years could have caused wearing away.

He could suspect something like this too, one reason he still wants the night guard.

I looked it up and there is almost no insurance that will cover this type of work and also, only 50% of any crown. I suspect the reason is that insurance knows if they covered it, everyone would have crowns so they put some financial disincentive so that you will think twice unless you really need it. So I just feel like I can't go ahead with it.

I may get a fifth opinion but I feel like all dentists are going to feel I need work done.

It's hard to say. Everybody's teeth are a little bit different, and if somebody has bad teeth surely the dentists are going to try to do it all because that's how they make money.

Personally I went to the dentist after 4 years, had a cleaning, and the hygienist wanted me to come back in 3 months but fortunately the dentist didn't try to do anything. I'm not trying to brag, because lots of people have good teeth, but my teeth are too good right now, the dentists literally have no room for BS because I have no decay or problems.

What is the problem that the dentists feel the need for crown? You say your teeth feel fine and work fine. So I don't understand what they are trying to do.

lonelydoc said:
What is the problem that the dentists feel the need for crown? You say your teeth feel fine and work fine. So I don't understand what they are trying to do.

There is apparently only so long I am going to have enough teeth to place crowns. If I let it go tpo long and grind down to my root... then I could have to pull the tooth as it will get infected -- then, my bite will be off with a big old tooth and the rest worn down.

Or that is what they say. But I have trouble believing it. Most people grind to some degree... what did people do before dentistry?

Prior to dentistry people had all their teeth pulled and replaced with false ones. Probably.
I have several friends who are dentists or are studying dentistry. I know the value of a good dentist and a good dental care plan, no matter how healthy anyone believes their teeth to be, but all the same, I have good reason to be wary of dentists myself. In my mid teens I went in to get braces and came out three years later with several teeth having been displaced to my palate. I was young enough to believe everyone knew how to do their job and do it well, especially someone with this dentist's reputation, so I didn't ask too many questions. He continued to do the same thing month in, month out for three years until he abruptly took off the braces when I told him I had to leave to go abroad for university. No instructions, no explanations as to what to do, no reasons. Now another one has told me need several teeth removed, including my wisdom teeth all of which are impacted, though asymptomatic and disease free, and I need braces yet again. The idea of having braces as an adult is a little mortifying. And four wisdom teeth extractions? Along with at least two more teeth? Aside from the cost, the pain, and the pain of the cost, I'm afraid of any potential complications that may arise, which will at the least result in even more costs and pains.
Drill, fill, bill, is the motto of the job, but there are too many dentists out there for whom bill, bill, bill, is the only thing that counts.
If all of them are saying similar things, then you probably do need crowns, but it never hurts to try another dentist again if you can. The others are right in saying try getting things done a little at a time but try not to wait until there is pain. That may be too late to act since it means infection.

Aisha said:
I was young enough to believe everyone knew how to do their job and do it well, especially someone with this dentist's reputation, so I didn't ask too many questions.

Almost every dental thing I have had done turned out, eventually, to be not strictly necessary and or harmful. I have many friends that didn't have pain, went to the dentist, and had pain for life. With an attitude of , your making it up, from the dentist. Finally my mother got talked into pulling all her teeth when she was my age and I hated the way her "dentures" ruled her life in such a nasty way -- for the rest of it.

So I have decided this.

(1) I will get the night guard made and use it. I might just go down to the drug store and get a cheap plastic one.
(2) I will get the wisdom tooth extracted that has decay on it. I am told I don't need it and it is in an awkward space.
(3) I will hold off on the crowns for the moment and continue to seek different opinions.
(4) There is some information on the net that you can "remineralize" your teeth via good diet and also... certain tooth paste. Not saying I will get the teeth back but I suppose it could keep it from getting worse.

Thanks all

LonelySutton said:
I am confused as could be and just looking to bounce some ideas off people.

2000 I started seeing a good dentist. He was pretty conservative. Every time I went though he asked about my teeth. He felt my teeth had been worn down and always suggested a night guard. I did that but didn't feel it was grinding because after a year I saw nothing indicating grinding on the guard. I stopped wearing it. He suggested at some point all my teeth would have to be crowned.

2015 -- can't see that much as changed on my teeth and in fact, once asked my dentist point blank if there had been much damage since coming to him. His answer - no. But this dentist is leaving the practice. His replacement, tells me I must replace all my teeth with crowns. At a cost of 28K WITH insurance. I laugh and leave. She flat out refused to replace a filling that came out (in part) because she said it would pointless -- it would just come out again.

I go to a second dentist. He immediately says pretty much the same and also will not replace the filling but insists I need a crown. He also says I will need a root canal. Eventually he goes back on that after I allow an x-ray. I leave him.

I go to a third dentist who says ALL my teeth need to be replaced with crowns but, she says, all at once and with a cost of 42K with insurance. She imho is ridiculous. I leave her. At first she said she would replace the filling but then refused saying it would just come out again.

Fourth dentist (who in every way seemed more trust worthy) said I needed my top teeth crowned only and it would likely be about 13 teeth crowned but, he said it would have to be done all at once. But he also said that (1) he didn't think the damage was from grinding and also, wanted me to get a night guard. And also found a cavity on my wisdom tooth and so he wanted to extract that.

So, you will see, 4 dentists, 4 different sets of advice.

With regard to fourth dentist... I don't like that he wanted me to get the wisdom tooth removed. My trusted dentist said the same thing several different times. It was like they just couldn't stand the idea of leaving a wisdom tooth alone. I refused. Though at the time there was no decay... but I can't help but think they make this "decay" up to get me to agree to pull it. I also don't like the night guard. If I am not grinding, why would I stick a plastic guard in my mouth all night. But dentist number four seemed the most legitimate. But he wouldn't speculate at to cost or what might happen once he got in there... suggesting that I could have my mouth destroyed only to have him be like -- well, we have to do root canals. And well, we need to do crown lengthening... or a zillion other expensive things after my teeth have been destroyed.

As for my teeth, I know you might be saying what are they stubs? No, they aren't. They are small but not bad at all. In addition they do not hurt and are not sensitive.

I am starting to think I need to just stop going to dentists until I have pain, and then at least, I will know I have a problem.

I have recently looked into rebuilding the teeth naturally, via diet, recaldant, and special tooth pastes. It is hard to tell if this is really doable.

What do you think ?

I know this thread is a bit old, but wanted to offer some quick advice that have helped immensely for me ...
don't brush for 2 hrs after eating as enamel softens after eating and brushing will cause damage. use a soft toothbrush at all times. remember you're only knocking off loose food so go easy with the brush. Flossing is vital. Use a fluoride free toothpaste as fluoride is bad for your teeth. And oil pulling does work. Make sure you are getting enough minerals in your diet so your body has the building blocks to help repair the teeth . Best of luck.

Sorry to hear of your problems regarding your teeth. I live in the UK and fortunate to have found an amazing dentist who is honest and always provides me with a complete breakdown of everything that needs to be done before starting any work. I have a 40 minute drive to his practice but wouldn't go anywhere else! I suggest asking friends and family who they visit, or do some research on local practices. We are fortunate here to have the NHS though my dentist only does private work. Hope you sort something out soon:)

If they are going to make you pay tons of money to have your teeth fixed and have so many different opinions I would recomend something a friend of mine and also my cousing used to do. My friend is from the US and my cousing lived in Australia. Buy a plane ticket...come to Perú, have your teeth checked here i know a dentist i could recomend. have them fixed here. even if you need to have them all crowned with stay and plane tickets and without insurance it is cheaper to do it here.

you can pm me if you want for more info

Latest posts

Back