victim of identity theft

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonelydoc

Reaction score
I was the victim of identity theft, which I am so upset over because I am usually so careful and paranoid.

I think I contained the damage. Folks, be careful about safeguarding your personal information, there are thieves out there.

How did you end up a victim? I am not being nosy but am hoping that your experience will alert me to a risk which maybe I hadn't thought of.

lonelydoc said:
I was the victim of identity theft, which I am so upset over because I am usually so careful and paranoid. I think I contained the damage. Folks, be careful about safeguarding your personal information, there are thieves out there.

Sorry to hear about that. I know I am a federal worker and I was notified they got my info in the OPM hack. They gave me an alerting credit alarm agency until winter of 2017. Even being paranoid others are not, just watching an inside edition thing on office workers throwing people's confidential info. out the window during a ticker tape parade.

I told all my friends that if I use the word "Bosco" the Chinese are blackmailing me. :)

So this is what I do to avoid it.
(1) there is an app called "mint bills" which you put your info into and it monitors all your information. In real time. You just hit "refresh". You know your bank balance, all your credit cards etc. I check that every night on the train.
(2) I belong to credit karma which gives you a free credit report and also, credit score. It will also alert you but not as much as I wish.

Tiina63 said:
How did you end up a victim? I am not being nosy but am hoping that your experience will alert me to a risk which maybe I hadn't thought of.

I think what happened is when I was looking for apartments, somebody acquired both my driver license (you have to hand it over to actually view an apartment in person) and some other identifiers. I can't prove it per say, but I do know that somebody locally applied for 2 credit cards under my name and ran up some charges. They even fraudulently ran a credit report.

You have to be extremely careful with these IDs and numbers and all of your accounts.

Latest posts

Back