The #1 Way to Gain the Confidence to do Anything

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucent Shadow

Reaction score
Just do it. Don't even think. Just do. Just have faith and power through on will alone. Invoke a fierce calm within you and let go of your fear, your insecurity, your doubt, your uncertainty, your apprehension. let go of it all.

Do not think about what-ifs (what if you fail, what if it doesn't work, what will happen if I can't do it, etc.) because that will only serve to delay you or stave your confidence. You got something you must get done, so you must do it. That's it. And you will do it.

Don't overlook the simplicity of it, otherwise you'll easily be overcomplicating your situation.

Lucent Shadow said:
Just do it. Don't even think. Just do. Just have faith and power through on will alone. Invoke a fierce calm within you and let go of your fear, your insecurity, your doubt, your uncertainty, your apprehension. let go of it all.

Do not think about what-ifs (what if you fail, what if it doesn't work, what will happen if I can't do it, etc.) because that will only serve to delay you or stave your confidence. You got something you must get done, so you must do it. That's it. And you will do it.

Don't overlook the simplicity of it, otherwise you'll easily be overcomplicating your situation.

Ok. I am finally motivated to go through with my plan of robbing a bank. Screw the possible negative consequences. I'll never know if I don't try! THANK YOU!

kamya said:
Lucent Shadow said:

Ok. I am finally motivated to go through with my plan of robbing a bank. Screw the possible negative consequences. I'll never know if I don't try! THANK YOU!

That's one of the crimes that's easiest for police to apprehend the suspect in, y'know.

I would love to be just able to do this,I have a fear of driving and I have a car outside. I passed my test 4 years ago and only went out a couple of times with a friend in the passenger seat who could drive and I thought would boost my confidence a little. Someone cut in front of me in the car and it put me off. I have just recently got a car and I can't bring myself to drive it because I am just really lacking confidence at the moment.

I think that some people think you should have confidence all the time. That any self doubt is somehow a bad thing. Sometimes you have to just do things Afraid. So you are afraid, do it anyway. That is what courage is. Being afraid, but doing it anyway.
Far too often, if you don't exude self confidence, then you are criticized for it. I find that for some reason, people think that if you have any doubts or concerns about things going differently, then somehow you are not "confident" and therefore not worthy. Which is complete BUNK. Sorry, but we don't know one millioneth percent about anything. Yes, we can make plans and study and act with sound logic. But, there are forces in the world beyond our control and in any given instant we could be here one second and gone the next. So, I honestly don't understand the brash cocky self assuredness that some people have.

I hate the phrase "just do it" - if we could do it, then we wouldn't need to think about it!

Such simplistic thinking is damaging to people's self esteem. For years I was trapped in a cycle of "they tell me just to do it, but I can't do it. Then they get angry or mock me or label me a coward which sets me back further". I've been told to "grow a pair" "get over yourself" etc so many times by people who claim to love me and have my best interests at heart. I'd never dream of doing that to them. My parents thought to inspire courage in me would be to scream at me until my fear of what I needed to overcome would be replaced by my fear of them, and my ex wife's method was to humiliate me until I became an easily manipulated shadow of my former self.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being scared - after all it is a human instinct and to be confident is to suppress that instinct. Asking for help is the first step - finding someone who won't judge you or belittle you for encouragement and then taking everything with baby steps until you are finally able to face your fears because you have slowly but surely learned to trust in your abilities to handle the situation.

Well, this past weekend , I decided I wanted to replace the vanity sink top in my daughter's bathroom. I am fairly handy but there is a lot I don't know. Well, I took a look at it. Then, I watched youtube and read several online articles on how to do it. I checked to see if I had the tools. And, DD didn't want me to because she was worried I wouldn't be able to get it done. Well, I figured, what is the worst that could happen? If I ruined it, I will buy a whole new vanity and have someone install it. My plan was to keep the wood part and only remove the top and sink because the base is still in good shape. Well, lo and behold, I managed to pry it off, unhook the plumbing and remove it without damaging anything. Then, DD and I set about to repaint the bathroom. It looked great. Then, I went to buy the vanity top and of course, none in stock for 2 weeks! So, I wound up driving an hour or so away and found what I wanted. Then came back to install it. I couldn't get the plumbing hooked up without it leaking. The top didn't fit right! OK, now what? Well, I dinked around with the top and got it seated and level but there was a gap there. So, I thought I would get some wood trim and attach it and stain it. Well, I dont' know how to do a miter cut so I bought a miter box and botched that a few times. Then, I went to the lumbar yard and he did a perfect cut. I stained it and attached it. And, then I called the plumber to attach the sink. So, yeah, it wasn't a 30 min job like on youtube. It wasn't smooth or easy going. I made many trips to the hardware. I bought some of the wrong parts. I had to reconfigure. But, you know what. I got it done. It looks nice and I am proud of it. So, just because everything doesnt' go like it is "supposed" to doesnt' mean you are doing something wrong or that you are not smart or whatever. Trial and error. And, I learned that I probably shouldn't do a lot of plumbing in the future, but I am pretty confident I can attach a faucet and new vanity top so I learned something new.

The answer is to be good at something. Get results. Having ability. The confidence comes after these things.

That is a good point. Some people think you need confidence BEFORE you attempt things. That isn't the case. You do have to just try to do things while you are unsure or even afraid. The confidence comes after you find that you can do things.

I think confidence is the belief in yourself and your ability to accomplish the task at hand. I have confidence that I can bake a cake or change a tire or whatever.

Latest posts

Back