Feeling a bit down

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blumar

Reaction score
Hi Friendly Forum People. Feeling a bit down tonight and just looking to get some thoughts out of my head. In a meeting at work the conversation turned to the latest movie in the theaters. My coworker wanted to know - for those people who have children - how was the movie. Seeing as I was the only person in the room without kids (and they all know this), it hurt a bit. Not because I don't have kids (I don't want any) but because it made me feel like less of a human - I was excluded from the conversation, my opinion not being valid, because of the life choice I made. I'm sure she didn't not mean it that way but I still felt a bit of a sting from her wording. And, no, she wasn't asking how the kids reacted to the movie - only the "parents." Of course, it's just salt in the wound at the end of the day when you have no one to share in the crappiness of it.

Now I know that this really is minor in the grand scheme of life but sometimes stupid things just hit the right spot and it makes me feel horrible. And as my mind goes, I get to thinking that I am pretty much the only person in the office without a partner which just makes it even more depressing. Anyway, thanks for listening.

When you're feeling down, there are 2 ways to fix:

1. Solve the problem
2. Take a long nap
3. Distract your mind by doing your favorite activity

Blumar,

I know exactly how you feel. Co-workers, friends, family... they all talk about their kids and I always feel excluded from their conversation. I don't have any children, but want some very much. Not only do I feel excluded, I feel hurt and sad that I can't join their conversations. And because I don't have kids, I am also excluded from afternoon get togethers, as I am the only one without kids...

I'm sorry you are feeling down. (hug)

I know how you feel too.....or at least, I think I might know you feel....maybe. Anyway, sometimes stupid things hit a sensitive spot for me too. It sucks. I hope it passes and tomorrow is a better day for you, blumar.

I am in my 40s and never had kids, or been married. Partly by choice, partly because it just never worked out that way.

I know it can be very different for women, I don't know what that feels like - but it does seem society is very focused on the way to do things is marry and reproduce, many people do that, but I also know married couples who have chosen not to have children, so not everyone does that, it can seem like people exclude you, simply because I think more people than not do have kids at some point.

But there are lots of people who don't! I value the freedom I have by not having kids, I suppose people don't talk about the downsides, the worry, the fact your life is never your own again, maybe they get used to that!

I hope you feel less down soon!

Latest posts

Back