When your support network is also depressed

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edamame721

Reaction score
What do you do when your support network is also depressed? For a while, I had my mother and a close friend, but then my mother became ill. My friend also became depressed and unfortunately, I reacted to some of his comments in anger. It wasn't fair to him so I still check up on him now and then, but I also keep my distance.

Walking and hiking is one of the few things that lifts my mood. Sometimes I can be out in nature for hours. Other times, I leave the dishes undone for a week. If I'm with people in a positive environment, I usually do feel better, but I'm still very poor at creating that environment on my own as I'm an introvert.

My siblings have gotten exasperated at me for not initiating conversation and also refuse my invitations -- I don't know if they are truly busy, not interested in the event, or just not interested in being with me.

I know we are all responsible for our own happiness, but sometimes the drive to do more than stay at home isn't there when I'm alone.

It's a difficult situation, because support networks are important. When I was at a low point in my life, I only had one good friend that made me feel better, but unfortunately she too slipped back into depression at the time and it made me feel worse because we would arrange to meet but she never turned up, she wouldn't respond to my texts or calls for days, I wouldn't speak to her for weeks sometimes. I understand it wasn't her fault, I tried reaching out so many times but it never seemed to make a difference, I had my own problems too but this really wasn't helping me.

In the end I cut communication all together, I don't believe that two people in the same place (or worse) can make each other better - certainly not with depression. I feel a lot better these days, and I do stills send the odd text to her but she never responds. I guess you should try not to depend on people too much, I know that's really difficult in your situation. But this could be a good thing, to help you be more dependent. Do more of what you enjoy, and certainly the things that lifts your mood you described. Where I live you can join these walking or running clubs, where a bunch of like-minded people get together. Maybe it's a good idea if you have something like that where you are.

9006 said:
It's a difficult situation, because support networks are important. When I was at a low point in my life, I only had one good friend that made me feel better, but unfortunately she too slipped back into depression at the time and it made me feel worse because we would arrange to meet but she never turned up, she wouldn't respond to my texts or calls for days, I wouldn't speak to her for weeks sometimes. I understand it wasn't her fault, I tried reaching out so many times but it never seemed to make a difference, I had my own problems too but this really wasn't helping me.

In the end I cut communication all together, I don't believe that two people in the same place (or worse) can make each other better - certainly not with depression. I feel a lot better these days, and I do stills send the odd text to her but she never responds. I guess you should try not to depend on people too much, I know that's really difficult in your situation. But this could be a good thing, to help you be more dependent. Do more of what you enjoy, and certainly the things that lifts your mood you described. Where I live you can join these walking or running clubs, where a bunch of like-minded people get together. Maybe it's a good idea if you have something like that where you are.

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad you're feeling better. I think our thinking is very much alike but our conversation clarified what I am going through. I'll try to get back to hiking. The weather has been very hot so I haven't been able to really use that as pick-me-up, so I'll have to think of some alternatives.

Latest posts

Back