Windows 10

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginock

Reaction score
Windows 10 is due to be released on the 29th of July, it may not be available to you on the day due to a staggered release (which makes sense) but after that day you can get it for free if you have a copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 if you choose to go through the pre-order system on your Windows Machine.

Being something of an early adopter in terms of tech and Windows (I got Windows 8 on release day and then frankly regretted it) I requested Windows 10 as soon as I could and have chosen to upgrade from Windows 8 as I don't feel I am ready to get rid of Windows 7 entirely and I really am looking forward to it.

It won't be my daily OS as I mainly use Yosemite as my main daily OS but I am interested to see what it will be like and how things will improve.

Is anyone else planning to upgrade or will you wait until the kinks are worked out or like me do you plan to get it as soon as Microsoft allows you to?

Ginock said:
if you choose to go through the pre-order system on your Windows Machine.

I found that stupid file and deleted it. Windows 8 is a total piece of honeysuckle, and Windows 7 has that "Trusted Installer" crap that I can't get rid of. Next time I replace computers, I'm switching to Linux and giving Microsoft the boot.

No_Nickname said:
Ginock said:
if you choose to go through the pre-order system on your Windows Machine.

I found that stupid file and deleted it. Windows 8 is a total piece of honeysuckle, and Windows 7 has that "Trusted Installer" crap that I can't get rid of. Next time I replace computers, I'm switching to Linux and giving Microsoft the boot.

Lol, what? What "file"? What are you talking about? It's clear your an inexperienced user, Trusted Installer is required for the system to modify core files and install updates. Why would you want to get rid of that? I doubt you'd make a good candidate for Linux when you're struggling with a simpler OS.

Ginock said:
Windows 10 is due to be released on the 29th of July, it may not be available to you on the day due to a staggered release (which makes sense) but after that day you can get it for free if you have a copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 if you choose to go through the pre-order system on your Windows Machine.

Being something of an early adopter in terms of tech and Windows (I got Windows 8 on release day and then frankly regretted it) I requested Windows 10 as soon as I could and have chosen to upgrade from Windows 8 as I don't feel I am ready to get rid of Windows 7 entirely and I really am looking forward to it.

It won't be my daily OS as I mainly use Yosemite as my main daily OS but I am interested to see what it will be like and how things will improve.

Is anyone else planning to upgrade or will you wait until the kinks are worked out or like me do you plan to get it as soon as Microsoft allows you to?

I've also pre-ordered windows 10. I don't mind 8 because I've got a touch-screen laptop an I don't think it would work well without, on the other hand the only reason I want Windows 10 is for the new start menu they're implementing. I'm not so keen on the tiled version in 8, I don't think it's very practical for laptops really.

I'm not too bothered about any bugs, besides if I don't like it I can simply revert back to 8.

Does anybody know if I can get a windows 10 disc to install it at any future time? instead of the upgrade which I get for free...

I don't know if I want to get it, I can and have registered for it but I'm not sure if it will mess with my Microsoft Office 2007 programs. I have the versions you don't have to renew and I'm afraid windows 10 might upgrade them so I do. No way in hell I'm doing that, too **** expensive.

I personally like 8. I usually don't upgrade unless I have to get a new computer lol. We will see.

It's been out for a day and the Internet is already in chaos due to the problems with no fixes yet. Sacrificial lambs.

I'll update from 7 when Microsoft sends a SWAT team to my home to make me. I only use Windows for games.

I've not had a problem with 8 or 8.1. Most of its supposedly terrible issues are just minor inconveniences, like the separate screen programme menu, or apps that open in full screen.

I've not had a problem with 8 or 8.1. Most of its supposedly terrible issues are just minor inconveniences, like the separate screen programme menu, or apps that open in full screen.

+1.

I had to cope with Windows 8.1 for two years now on the laptop I am typing this on now, and it's essentially Windows 7 without the Start Menu that I have been using since when I was a kid in the days of Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition (read: BSOD Edition).

Anyways, I have no plans on upgrading to Windows 10 atm, especially since I heard that the OS is currently having problems with nVidia cards, which I will be using for the gaming build that I will hopefully have up and running by next week.

LonesomeLoner said:
Does anybody know if I can get a windows 10 disc to install it at any future time? instead of the upgrade which I get for free...

You can download the ISO file from Windows themselves. You have got a year to do the upgrade so if you don't wish to do it for a few months you don't have. If the ISO will work after the year? I couldn't say but I imagine something is built in otherwise they will never make any money off it.

Ginock said:
LonesomeLoner said:

You can download the ISO file from Windows themselves. You have got a year to do the upgrade so if you don't wish to do it for a few months you don't have. If the ISO will work after the year? I couldn't say but I imagine something is built in otherwise they will never make any money off it.

Do you have the exact link for the .iso? The link they e-mailed me was about some tool, nothing to do with an .iso

I'm never keen on upgrading, I'd prefer to install from fresh. I've reserved a copy but not bothered to download it, I'll leave it to see what the general feedback after a few months is like first.

9006 said:
I'm never keen on upgrading, I'd prefer to install from fresh. I've reserved a copy but not bothered to download it, I'll leave it to see what the general feedback after a few months is like first.

I'm going to follow your lead, I think.

Apparently, there's going to be a massive update as soon as next month. Which I guess is technically this month now. I don't know anything about it other than that though. I'm just fine with 7, and I doubt I'll be messing with any other Windows version for a very long time.

Not that Microsoft was ever trustworthy to start with, but with lovely new features like the built-in keylogger (everything you do and type phones home to Microsoft :cool: ) and your wifi password being shared by default, I'm avoiding Windows 10 until I absolutely HAVE to upgrade from 7, and then only will use it for games.

fox said:
Not that Microsoft was ever trustworthy to start with, but with lovely new features like the built-in keylogger (everything you do and type phones home to Microsoft :cool: ) and your wifi password being shared by default, I'm avoiding Windows 10 until I absolutely HAVE to upgrade from 7, and then only will use it for games.

REALLY? Geez. It figures. I only have 2 programs left on windows anymore, that I can't get on any other OS. I'll wait to upgrade also, as long as possible.

Sometimes said:
fox said:

REALLY? Geez. It figures. I only have 2 programs left on windows anymore, that I can't get on any other OS. I'll wait to upgrade also, as long as possible.

This isn't really true, this was the 'Technical Preview' release, and isn't gonna be in the final release. It was a kind of data collection thing to 'help' Microsoft with it's development. It makes it quite clear before you install this particular version so it's down to you really.

I also believe there are ways to disable it anyway, as always.

Sci-Fi said:
I don't know if I want to get it, I can and have registered for it but I'm not sure if it will mess with my Microsoft Office 2007 programs. I have the versions you don't have to renew and I'm afraid windows 10 might upgrade them so I do. No way in hell I'm doing that, too **** expensive.

Didn't think of that - I have 2007 Office as well, but noticed my college going to all these rubbish online versions, so possible it could "upgrade" them to that! I remember how recently I wanted to make a DVD for someone who doesn't have a computer to watch on their TV, and had to risk spyware infested programs because Microsoft had helpfully removed the DVD maker software because "nobody uses DVDs anymore"!

AmytheTemperamental said:
I personally like 8. I usually don't upgrade unless I have to get a new computer lol. We will see.

This is true for me these days. In the past I hated XP so much that even when I got a new machine I would kill the OS it came with and reinstall ME, lately I've got less bothered by changes to operating systems, I just work around any new quirks when I buy a new laptop (which now seems to be an annual event as they don't seem to build them to last any more!) or use fixes to restore or remove features when possible.

ardour said:

It took me a while to get used to it, but once I could get rid of the stupid charms bar and swipe/corner actions (on a non touch laptop!) and just go to the desktop, most seems pretty much the same, and it's an OS, all I really do is copy files etc, and use Teracopy, I use my console for gaming.

I'd go to something alternative to Windoze and MS but currently don't have the time - maybe one day, rather than "upgrade" to Windoze 10, which I fear will be a disaster for a while - free upgrade = beta test?! Or by looks of it maybe even alpha, lol :club:

261p6w7.jpg

I jumped from literally Windows XP to Windows 10 with the purchase of a new computer within the last 5 years.
And... it was fun while it lasted. Windows is essentially why I moved to consoles from what was exclusively PC.

Had you told me this would happen a year or more ago, I think I would've laughed in your face directly.

I had so much Windows 10 corruption built up from my PC (the guy who fixed it told me it was apparently due to crashes and improper shut offs, among other stuff), despite already treating it as a porcelain infant as is.
And then only after fixing it and trying to restore everything, with explanation, it did it again, despite being brand new. Luckily it was under warranty, but I legit haven't turned on the PC for nearly half a year now because I just don't even want to touch it.

And now I moved to laptops, which for now at least seem more reliable. No issues yet, and best of all: battery backup in case of outages so no forced crashes, etc.

But yeah, I don't think my PC games will ever be played again. Not until I'm a millionaire or PCs go all virtual or something futuristic like that.

I prefer consoles now anyway.

Latest posts

Back