Being friends with someone who lies

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Seal The Albatros

Reaction score
So there's this friend that I have. We get along okay, despite our different interests, but there's one thing though, he tends to lie. A lot.

Now, hey, I'm sure there's a good reason he does this. Maybe he can't control himself. However, this does get a bit in the way of having a good friendship when he's lying every two days about something bad that just happened to get me to drop what I'm doing to call him for a few hours. Or maybe he's telling the truth. I can't tell when he's lying and when he's not anymore. It used to be lies that were very, "out - there, " like claiming he plays for the NHL, but recently, they've been more and more difficult to figure out.

I'm not looking to end the friendship. He's a nice guy, and I think I'm the only friend he's got, so I try to stay on his side, but if there's a way to cope with his lying a bit better, or even see if I was completely wrong to think he was lying in the first place, I think that will help the friendship a lot.

Just enjoy his company with whatever you are doing. And don't take too much to heart when he is running his mouth. You don't have to figure him out. Just enjoy the times when u are golfing or watching a game or whatever it is.

If there is one thing that bugs me about people, it'd be liars. If they're my friends and they lie a lot? They better have a **** good excuse otherwise I'd say something. If this friend of yours can lie so much about a lot of things to a lot of people, what more to you? How can you have a friend if you can't trust his word?

If this friendship means nothing more to you than just to hang out and have some company, that's fine. But if this friendship is where you intend to invest personal time and information, and one where you would like to rely on with personal matters... I'll say he's not the best candidate for this. If this is the case, talk to him about it and he should know that you're unable to trust him for how he lies so much. If he really wants to do better and change for the better after that, then you'd know it.

I once had a friend whose every word was a lie.

Anyways, in my opinion, you should talk to him about it, even just mention it. If the lies are really evident or maybe are just his way of joking, you could ignore this. However if these lies affect your work, your life in a significant way, confront him about it.
Some people don't like confrontation; in that case I suggest you be calm and make him understand where the problem is.

I have always been too direct and confrontational, so maybe it's better if you use a more peaceful approach XD

Latest posts

Back