Films with Subtitles

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginock

Reaction score
Some years ago I once recommended the film Battle Royale to a friend, I told him the premise and the setting and he was very interested, all up until the point I told him it was in Japanese and came with subtitles, he then screwed his face up and said:

"I don't want to watch films with subtitles, if I want to read I'll read a book"

I wasn't harsh to him, I didn't call him any names or belittle him, I did however say to him that I thought it was a shame he would miss out on so much great cinema because he didn't want to see a film with subs. I have been watching foreign films now for about 15 years, it is how I discovered I had such a love for film because it moved me beyond what would come out of American and Britain. It opened my eyes to new directors and new genres of cinema which I would otherwise have never had heard of.

But what is your view of this? Do subtitles put you off? Does my friend have a point? Is he correct in your mind or is it a little lazy?

I barely notice the subtitles after about 10 minutes. I have enjoyed many with subtitles.

I would personally take the route of reading the book, and then watching the film with subtitles :p

As for Japanese anime of course I need subs XD And I do use subs for english movies, if I have trouble following the conversation.
But then again, I am not a native english speaker. And you know what, the original audio quality is usually better than the dubbed version.

And yes, IMHO he's lazy. At least to me reading subtitles is not tiring at all.

Kudos for your sensibility. I'd have probably been unable to hide a scowl if I had been in your shoes. *chuckle*

I don't watch a lot of movies these days, but subtitles have never put me off watching one. Why limit myself? You're right that he's self-imposing a block on witnessing perspectives and experiences outside of his culture just because of such a simple reason. Movies open many doors if you are willing to watch those of other nations, whatever language they may be in.
And what's difficult about reading? Does he not enjoy it? Maybe that would explain his distaste if he associates it with something he doesn't enjoy.

I don't mind subtitles at all, and sometimes it's very helpful as some accents or words said in the movies can be unclear.

I've watched many series in English with subtitles just cause I liked the original voices more, but after a while the subtitles weren't necessary anymore - I just had to trust my ears. But I've also watched movies in French, Spanish and Russian with subtitles just cause these movies never were released in other languages...in any case, I never found it bothersome. To me it's a shame to limit yourself like that. You don't even have to be a quick reader.

I watch all my anime with English subtitles.. storyline is so much better in Japanese..Bright Blessings ^.^

You do limit yourself quite a bit if you refuse to watch subtitles but i don't know that i would automatically jump to the conclusion that it is being lazy. There are also people who refuse to watch movies if they aren't in color.

Latest posts

Back