Family Reunions

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dd11

Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who has never gone to a Family Reunion. Seems pretty commonplace around here. But, I have very little family. When I was a small child, we did gather at Grandma's house for family gatherings. And, I had aunts, uncles and cousins. Over time, they all moved away. I never saw either of my uncles growing up. They never visited. My mom talked to them by phone on occasion so I never got to know them or my cousins from them. The aunts also moved away and while my mom kept in touch by phone, we didn't visit or rarely did. So, I never got know my cousins on any real level. Now, my parents are deceased and so are some of the aunts and uncles. In DH's family, it was kind of the same situation so the only people I knew in his family were his parents and sibs and now his parents are deceased. We see DH's brother and his wife a few times a year and DH's sister only once a year as she is a bit different, lol. My sis lives several states away so I rarely get to see her. I am planning to see her in August for a few days. But, that is the extent of our family get togethers. We live in a small town and everyone here as family out the wazzoo and we are transplanted here. What about you guys?

Well, when I was a kid my family and relatives would gather together every Sunday. It was very lively and I liked it.
Then, as life would want it, a series of things happened and nowadays I rarely meet or talk to any relatives. I also live far from my family and talk to them like once a week over the phone or skype. Sometimes when I go back I visit my grandparents.

A shame, really. It'd be fun to have a family reunion, probably.

For better or worse, I am one of those people with family 'up the wazoo' and everywhere else. I live in a small country with a tiny capital city where the majority of them live and they're everywhere. When I come home for the holidays, every time I turn around I seem to bump into one of them. We don't have family reunions, just sort of occasional inevitable accumulations of people in one place since we're all pretty excitable. Of course, you get the sniping and infighting and all other nonsense you would get when you have dozens of people who haven't a choice but to be close, and I do occasionally feel a little suffocated. But I still wouldn't have it any other way, and I don't think any of the rest of them would want things to be different either. It's interesting sometimes just to sit and think about the varied stories and lives of all these people who are similar but so vastly different.

I went to a family reunion a month ago where all but one of my siblings was in attendance. We're estranged so I hadn't been in contact with most of them for many years. Five people, including spouses/significant others and their kids sitting around a table. It wasn't half as bad as I expected, but as one forum member so correctly said when I posted here about going beforehand (Rodent, if you read this, thank you again :)), families never change. All the things that had caused my estrangement from them; the self-absorption, the moralising, the hypocrisy, they were all still very much present. I knew walking out of there the next morning that it will probably be quite a while before I see them again, but at least I know I can deal with that whole mess now.

I don't even know the name of anyone on my fathers side of the family, much less where they are and i haven't seen or heard from anyone from my mothers side of the family for a couple decades.

Most of my family lives in the same state at least and we regularly meet for birthdays and other celebrations though I'm not partaking that much anymore since I moved away further. While they tolerate me, I was never close with anyone besides my immediate family and my grandparents. We usually keep our problems to ourselves, so I have never seen an open fight of some sort. But there is one part of the family on my dad's side which I've never met cause they left the state. My dad holds a grudge after they practically ransacked his parents' house after his dad had died. Took everything of value, kept or sold it and moved away. And I know there is gonna be another heritage clash in the future once his mom dies...but that's family for you.

lifestream said:
Rodent, if you read this, thank you again :)

a33.gif

I spent the first 10 years of my life living on the outskirts of a city of about 100,000 people. My home was a tiny wood and mud house consisting of one room and a kitchen, and one wall was attached to another tiny house also consisting of a room and a kitchen. In the first house I lived with my parents and in the other lived my paternal grandfather and my step-grandmother. My parents both had to work so my step-grandmother watched over me quite a bit. I spent time with my paternal grandfater going on his long bicycle rides and hikes. My paternal uncle lived in town and was a regular visitor, and I was a regular visitor to their residence as well. My mother had an older brother and a younger brother. The older brother moved to Denmark when i was very young, leaving his wife behind, and she was a frequent, morose visitor with whom my mother commisserated over her loneliness and fear of abandonment. The younger brother was troubled from an early age and made only a few appearances, so I didn't know him well. My mother's parents lived on a small subsistence farm in a nearby village and we sometimes visited them, but my maternal grandmother died when I was five years old and there was lots of bitter feeling between my mother and her father, so we didn't go to the farm all that often after my grandmother's death, and as far as I remember the grandfather never visited us. My mother's older brother had a daughter and a son I saw occasionally in the summers, and my father's brother had a daughter several years older than me with whom I didn't have much contact because of the sensitive age difference. The house was on a small cul-de-sac and there were neighboring children of various ages, and we all played together in the mud of the cul-de-sac, which wasn't paved.

In June 1975, one week after my 10th birthday, I moved to Canada. For a while we had contact with my godmother and her second husband and her daughter and the daughter's husband, but we had no relatives in Canada. My parents strictly controlled my contact with any family overseas and my relationships with them lapsed. My mother's younger brother moved to Canada too but skipped on his job before getting citizenship and died in 1994 at age 42, still an illegal alien. I remember spending entire summer days with him just keeping him company as he did under-the-table jack-of-all-trades jobs for which he sometimes never got paid because he had no legal recourse. My mother's older brother visited once and my father's brother also visited once. My brother was born in July 1976, and he accompanied my mother to the old country once, while my father flew there twice. After we fell out of touch with the godmother and her family and my mother's younger brother died, my only contact was pretty much only with my parents and brother.

My mother died in November 2011, at age 69. Since then there's been only my father and brother. All of my grandparents are also dead and so are my father's brother and his wife, while their daughter is in a mental institution overseas. My mother's older brother has a thriving but fractious family because his children don't like him much. He phones my father from time to time but I avoid talking to him if I can.

Long story short, I consider myself to have no family other than my father and brother, and in general have no ONE except them. Since I live with my father and brother, every day is pretty much the same as any other day. Last week my brother's birthday came around and all three of us totally forgot about it until late evening. My father and I apologized to my brother but he said it had been his preference not to celebrate it. On one of our birthdays we normally do very little, just buy the celebrant a dinner of his choice and his favorite cake, no candles. Other holidays such as Christmas we haven't celebrated for decades.

Hope that wasn't too much of a wall of text. :)

I didn't know what a 'family reunion' was until I met my wife. I didn't know people did that.
I didn't know family members ever really cared about each other once they were married or had kids. It was a rather foreign concept to me.

What is 'normal'? Having reunions or not having them?

A lot of my extended family is very competitive. I find it really unpleasant to deal with them. Getting together with them after a long time, the first thing that happens with most of them is they try to figure out where to position me on their hierarchy. How are they better, richer, have finer vacations and yadayada. Lots of verbal sparring. I don't rate, and once they've figured this out it gets to where they literally don't hear anything I say.

The previous generation used to make sure we had reunions, and I didn't go to them. If my generation is running them, I'm not hearing about it.

My family doesn't have reunions. I've met hardly anyone on my mother's side as they don't speak to each other. My father meets with some of his siblings once in awhile, but other than that I don't see much of my father's side either. I don't even see that much of my mother or brother. My mother lives in another state, and my brother is a distracted socialite. Most family visits happen on holidays.

delledonne11 said:
But, I have very little family. When I was a small child, we did gather at Grandma's house for family gatherings. And, I had aunts, uncles and cousins. Over time, they all moved away. I never saw either of my uncles growing up. They never visited. My mom talked to them by phone on occasion so I never got to know them or my cousins from them. The aunts also moved away and while my mom kept in touch by phone, we didn't visit or rarely did. So, I never got know my cousins on any real level.

^ It's kind of the same for me. Many of my relatives live across the country.

BeyondShy said:
What's a DH? And I'm sure it doesn't mean designated hitter.

I think it stands for 'Dear Husband', but I could be wrong.

OK, all! DEAR Husband! I thought it was a standard abbreviation for texting, etc.

Latest posts

Back