7 Things People with Emotional Toughness Do Differently

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EveWasFramed

Reaction score
I ran across this and thought it might be helpful for some.
I know they're easier said than done, but these are still pretty good tips.

7 Things People with Emotional Toughness Do Differently

1. They take control.

There are two types of people in the world: Those who believe in fate, and those who believe they have control over things. Stop worrying about things that happen to you and start making things happen for you.

2. They’re flexible.
Life doesn’t always go as planned. So, it’s better to be able to pivot when you need to. Being flexible means you’re open to the unexpected and won’t crumble when something inevitably changes.

3. They learn from their mistakes.
You can either choose to crumble from your mistakes, or make them tools for your future. Look at those slip ups as training and refrain from letting them define you.

4. They create specific goals — then conquer them.

Sometimes, you’re mentally all over the places, because you have no direction. What are you doing? Why?
Write down that goal, then reap the benefits.

5. They look for acceptance from themselves, not others.
Most of us want other people to like us, but strength comes from within. Ironically, many people don’t like you until you stop caring whether or not others like you.

6. They keep their stress in check.

Find out what helps you lower your stress level.
Stress makes it harder for people to control their emotions.

7. They let the little things roll off their back.

Stop sweating the small stuff. Your mental strength is a finite supply. So, don’t wear yourself down. Although you should accept that you have control over your life, don’t turn into a control freak.

I always admired the Resilience of my parents. They had Grit. I think resilience is very underrated.

I usually find lists like that sillier than they're helpful. But these were good.

Oldyoung said:
I usually find lists like that sillier than they're helpful. But these were good.
To be completely honest I feel you were more correct on the first part.
I'm not really sure how this list is supposed to help anyone. Am I missing something here?

Despicable Me said:
Oldyoung said:
I'm not really sure how this list is supposed to help anyone. Am I missing something here?

Um, because it's good advice on how not to worry so much?

TheRealCallie said:
Despicable Me said:

Because I recognize these habits or traits. I have seen them first hand with people who do well in life.

TheRealCallie said:
Despicable Me said:
Oldyoung said:
But it's not even really advice. It's not advising anything, it's just stating some things which are mostly common sense.
Like if someone says 'Don't stress out' while you're stressing out. While that's fine 'advice' to just blurt out in the moment, it's not actually helpful to the person stressing out. And this example is actually #6 on this list, in fact.

Sorry to be skeptical. I guess this 'advice' wasn't really meant for me anyway, I have no need for 'emotional toughness', unless someone here is suggesting that people should feel nothing at all?

Despicable Me said:
TheRealCallie said:
Despicable Me said:
Oldyoung said:
But it's not even really advice. It's not advising anything, it's just stating some things which are mostly common sense.
Like if someone says 'Don't stress out' while you're stressing out. While that's fine 'advice' to just blurt out in the moment, it's not actually helpful to the person stressing out. And this example is actually #6 on this list, in fact.

Sorry to be skeptical. I guess this 'advice' wasn't really meant for me anyway, I have no need for 'emotional toughness', unless someone here is suggesting that people should feel nothing at all?

It says right there on number 6 that you should find whatever lowers your stress levels.
You can't really advise someone on how to lower them when each person has a different go to for stress relief. Mine used to be running, but hey, some people loathe running.

As someone who has accomplished pretty much everything on that list, I say it's good advice. It may not go into a shitload of details, but not everything comes easy, sometimes you have to figure out your own go tos and what works for you.

TheRealCallie said:
It says right there on number 6 that you should find whatever lowers your stress levels.
You can't really advise someone on how to lower them when each person has a different go to for stress relief. Mine used to be running, but hey, some people loathe running.

As someone who has accomplished pretty much everything on that list, I say it's good advice. It may not go into a shitload of details, but not everything comes easy, sometimes you have to figure out your own go tos and what works for you.
Yeah, it's pretty easy to say something and leave out the details of how to actually accomplish that thing. This is actually an example of 'sloganeering'. Words that sound like good advice but don't actually offer anything of true value.
Most of us know exactly what lowers our stress - actually having time and money to do those things is an entirely different matter, though.

Anyway, I didn't want to kill the topic. If all you guys need to be happy is some nice little slogans to help get your life put together then that great for you. I am happy to hear that.
Sadly, stuff like this obviously does not work for people like me.

Despicable Me said:
TheRealCallie said:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to say something and leave out the details of how to actually accomplish that thing. This is actually an example of 'sloganeering'. Words that sound like good advice but don't actually offer anything of true value.
Most of us know exactly what lowers our stress - actually having time and money to do those things is an entirely different matter, though.

Anyway, I didn't want to kill the topic. If all you guys need to be happy is some nice little slogans to help get your life put together then that great for you. I am happy to hear that.
Sadly, stuff like this obviously does not work for people like me.

Stress relief shouldn't rely on how much money you have or even spending money at all. Take a walk, go running, shoot some photography if you have a camera. Whatever it is, each people knows best what will lower their stress.
If you require money to lower your stress, maybe you need to rethink your priorities and find something else. There are almost always ways to do what lowers your stress levels without spending money.

But yeah, keep being negative and don't look at the positive nature of the post. :rolleyes:

I think I understand where Descpicable Me is coming from. Some of the things on the list are sort of vague and make me wonder what the cognitive steps are I should take to get to that point.

It doesn't explain how to get from point A to B.

It feels like this:

d6d.jpg

HoodedMonk said:
I think I understand where Descpicable Me is coming from. Some of the things on the list are sort of vague and make me wonder what the cognitive steps are I should take to get to that point.

Yes, exactly.
lol, love that owl pic. Describes it perfectly.

Despicable Me said:
Oldyoung said:

I think it's either someone gets it or they don't. Perhaps the list didn't help you, and that's fine. It is just a list. It's not some miracle cure when you read it, and magically the world makes sense. I can relate to the points myself, so I found myself agreeing on them.

HoodedMonk said:

It feels like this:

d6d.jpg

That is hilarious. And a good example of either getting the list or not getting it. Some people may be able to follow that and just draw. Not everyone is able to pick things up.

Latest posts

Back