Is there something wrong at living in a low-wage job or two?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonymousMe

Reaction score
Let me explain what’s going on. My parents got recently disappointed with me, because I voluntarily didn’t made any effort to learn more about their job, they’re into making furniture and own a factory, plus my dad’s a driver, so he has to deliver the merchandise to his clients.

The things is, I really detest their job, I don’t feel any passion for it and I’m simply not interested in it, they finally gave up on me and, basically, set me “free” (Not that I complain, I was hoping for that to happen).

Now here’s another thing, the highest diploma I have is from High School and I know that even College diplomas don’t do much nowadays and going back to College is not an option for me too, because I couldn’t even finish pre-algebra, one of the three main classes that must be completed to earn a diploma (So, even if you earn an A in ALL the classes of the school, that still doesn’t count) and because it started to get WAY too expensive, and complicated too, for me and my family.

Because of all of this, I’m currently planning on just working, and possibly staying, in jobs that are very unappreciative, but that still manage to put bread on the table. Is there something wrong with that? I really don’t think I can get better than that.

Just FYI, I know why my parents are disheartened about all of this. Ever since I was 8-years-old, I was diagnosed with renal insufficiency and for the next 13 years, they busted their asses off for me to get a kidney transplant and be healthy, which finally happened in 2011, I was 21-years-old. They’ve must have set pretty high expectations about me throughout those years, I know parents want their children to surpass them, but is it really hard to understand that that’s not possible with everyone? At least I’m not doing drugs or thinking of killing them. Oh, and one last thing, it was a big coincidence, but every single worker or client that my dad has met that has a son or two, they always worked with their dad. I blame them for my dad setting a dream expectation of me helping him.

Believe me everyone, I do want to help my parents, I want to contribute for the house and my family, just… not like this and they can’t accept it.

I’ll be very appreciative if someone speaks about their jobs experiences, it’ll give me an idea of what I’ll be getting into.

Wow from my point of view I feel like you are leaving a great opportunity on the table. It is very few people that get a profession and a factory from their parents. I wish there was some way to make you either consider it now, OR ask them if you can go try some other things... like take a sabbatical... if, after 5 years of trying other things.. you don't find anything you like, you will learn the profession (after all once they die you can sell). This profession in theory will always be yours so you will always have income etc.

Here is why I think it is CRUCIAL that you do not just do jobs where you squeak by. You think (1) once you get a job you will be there forever and or (2) these kind of jobs will be plentiful always and will want you; (3) costs will remain more or less the same as basic income.

There is this terrifying thing that no one talks about, it is called Age Discrimination. When you are young people like you. You remind them of what it is like to be young. You don't ask for much. You are healthy and don't need expensive benefits. You come to work every day. Starting at around age 35, people start thinking... your going to face an illness soon, you probably aren't quite as cheerful as you when you were young... you probably make a lot of money due to raises and such... it is around this time you will likely get fired... for trumped up reasons. What, you have no money ... what are you going to do? Pay a lawyer? Nope. You will be back at basic wage and find more and more rejections from even basic jobs.

If you had savings it can be wiped out by a few months without work. Even if you get unemployment (they only give you a % of what you were getting before)

Now your 45 and you health is suffering... who is going to pay for that? Even if you get insurance as soon as you start costing them money they will find a way to fire you. So... go on the state... don't think the state gives you competent care. At 46 maybe your feet hurt when you stand... how are you going to find a basic job that gives you a desk.

All of the above plus... at 34 you meet the love of your life and she pops out 2 kids. That STUFF IS INSANELY expensive.

Then of course remember every year wages do not rise but expenses do.

I think you can get better than that... just working for your dad and learning his trade is important for your future... you will always have that skill. If you do not want to go to college you could pursue plumbing or electrical or some skill. Best yet is to have something that allows you to have your own business.

Are you interested in menial jobs? Doesn't make any sense to avoid a decent opportunity because it doesn't interest you, only to end up in a worse paying one you aren't any happier with.

If you have an interest to pursue, do that. You don't need a degree to be good at a job and work your way up, but you'll need to start on the bottom of the ladder, learn and earn it. It'll take time and you will miss some opportunities without a degree, but it isn't a dead end.

I don't have a degree and my job requires a bachelors degree. I don't recommend going the same route, it's more work and slower advancement but it is possible.

If you can find a field you want to work in, get a job in it. And I would urge you to take college classes while you're doing it. Even if it's just one class at a time you will be much better off ten years down the road. I regret not doing it myself.

Here are more details about my situation:

I have a little brother, who is two years younger than me, he was also working for my parents, very voluntarily, but like me, he also got “freed,” mostly because of some attitude problems he has, like compulsive buying, cell phone addiction and lack of attention. He started working with our parents because he accidentally made a baby. Despite all of that, he was working voluntarily and he did manage to learn a thing or two about the business.

We’ve agreed that if we manage to have a wage, that we would become roommates, that way we can save some money and make life a bit less difficult. Also, he has a plan of selling merchandise through the internet, he’ll first do it on Craiglist and then he’ll use an official website that he and our parents have been planning for a long time. He’s suggested me to be the one to sell online, while he’ll keep doing it with our parent’s clients, still using the factory’s resources of course.

Oh, and one last detail, we live on the U.S./Mexican border. Our house is in Mexico, while the business is in the U.S., so travelling between the two is a very common thing for us to do. With that said, living in Mexico is a whole lot cheaper than in the U.S.

So do you all think? Is this plan OK or are just a real life pair of Dumb and Dumber?

EDIT: I meant Craiglist, not ebay. I've corrected the mistake.

AnonymousMe said:
So do you all think? Is this plan OK or are just a real life pair of Dumb and Dumber?

Err, the second option.

There is so much wrong with this plan.. I am aghast.

Brother as a roommate? How can that possibly last forever? Do you want to be dependent on a roommate forever? What if you can't stand them- the way they breathe.

Donald Trump builds a wall between US and Mexico... nuff said. :)

Sell on line? What happens when the economy tanks? Do you have health care?

I do commend you for looking to have your own business, I think that is the key to joy and money, but... there is a reason that people pursue college degrees. They aren't just deluded. They know what you will learn but maybe I can't explain to you now... life sucks, it is dog eat dog, and whatever you think will make you 1000 dollars will actually make you 100.

So you are leaving decent paying jobs that are right there for the taking, for equally depressing jobs that pay nothing. Either way you are going to not like it. At least make more money if you are planning to suffer either way.

There isn't anything wrong with working low wage jobs if you are ok with struggling for everything and aren't expecting to ever be able to retire. I've been in low wage jobs my whole life. It's fine for a temporary solution but I wouldn't want to live my whole life this way. Most people I work with are constantly trying to move up.

I think that Lonely Sutton's idea of a five year break is a good one-ask your parents if you can try things your way for five years and then, if they don't work out, you can come home to work at the factory.
I don't know how profitable their factory is, but after they pass on you could, if the business could afford it, employ someone to virtually run it for you while you just put in two or three days a week and then have the rest of the time free for yourself.

There is nothing wring with living your life on your terms, provided that you are self sufficient and can pay your own bills, then live however you please.

But, I agree, take a break and go try things your way. But, why push away the bonds of family and the history of a good business? Is there some reason you are not taking an interest? Perhaps a bit of youthful rebellion? I think you really need to dig deep and look into your self. If you were passionately pursuing something else like a career in medicine, then I can see where maybe you don't want to get into the family business. But, why NOT try to find a passion for the business that your family built up and find the pride of being a part of that?

So, Yeah... the factory, the job, the opportunity is a great one. But it is your choice to make.

You need to enjoy what you do to make something a career that you don't dread doing for a lifetime, or a long while at least. If you are choosing job that you hate just to avoid the Factory, thats a silly idea. If you are finding work that satisfies you, has meaning in your life, and you are able to live with the money it pays, then thats awesome.

I think the whole "loving your job" thing is overrated. Yeah, try to find something that suits you on some level. But, it doesn't sound like you are actively pursuing your interests but just defaulting to something because you don't think that you want to work in the family business. I think you need to really look at inside and try to actively pursue something that interests you rather than simply defaulting to taking whatever job to avoid helping in the family business. Go PURSUE something, then if doesn't work out, at least you have made the effort to do. But, if you idea is to simply just go to work to get by, then I guess that is fine if that is what you wish to do but you could probably do that in your family business could you not?

I’m going to try to reply to you all at the same time.

Honestly, the reason I’m not interested in the factory is because I simply know it’s not for me and I’ve tried to work there before, in various ways too: I’ve done some non-dangerous tasks with the carpenters, I’ve been the factory’s account manager, I’ve accompanied my dad in his drives, etc. I didn’t like a single one of those things! Both my physicality and mentality cannot handle those activities; I would have been immediately fired if someone else was in charge. That’s the whole reason I want to try some small things first, I am not exactly pushing myself away my parent’s occupation, I want to try some other things first for a good amount time and I really don’t care if they’re small or not, if I don’t like anything that the world can offer me, then I will try to continue the factory’s business, whether I like it or not.

Besides everyone, I’m a very simple individual; I am not a person of many needs. The only things I use “normally” are electricity and internet, my expenses on other things is not common: I pretty much eat the same thing every day; I don’t spend that much water; I don’t have that many clothes either (except underwear); I don’t have a cell phone; don’t watch TV; don't have friends or a girlfriend; ya’ll get what I’m saying. Just so you all know, I did had some interests in what I could work, like being a Librarian, but then I found out that the things I wanted to be required some form of degree, so naturally, I stopped pursuing those dreams.

Also, for those who are wondering about my brother, he’s planning on going back to College and get a bachelor’s degree for interior design? I don’t remember what exactly is, but I do know it involves furniture. Well good for him, I guess he can’t just accept having a mediocre life, he already lived one when he and his ex-girlfriend were struggling to take care of their accidental baby. He’s still wants to sell on craigslist.

Tiina63 said:
I don't know how profitable their factory is, but after they pass on you could, if the business could afford it, employ someone to virtually run it for you while you just put in two or three days a week and then have the rest of the time free for yourself.

My parents already did that, the factory has a second in charge carpenter that makes sure everything is going smoothly and in working order. Although they do get their free times, they still have to do work at home by contacting the clients, writing down orders, making calls, etc. I actually didn't mind the desk job, but I still couldn't even do that; I blame my lack of brain cells.

Anon,
there is absolutely nothing wrong with rejecting the 'family business' and finding your own path in life. Your parents may not understand this, people here may not understand this, much of the world may not understand this because so many people are not in such a position to even have that choice. That is something you'll have to face. But you already know what is right, and you've already chosen your path.

However, that's not the question you asked. You asked if there is anything wrong with working a menial job or two. To answer that question I'd have to say, absolutely yes. There is a lot wrong with it. You're being paid peanuts for other people to get wealthier, and you probably won't like the jobs you do either. If not now then in the future you will get sick of it. No one stays happy in jobs like that, no one. Life also happens to get in the way with people's plans, as well, no matter how well-planned their future may have been. I would always suggest being ready for changes, unknown changes.
So what you should do is reconsider what you're aiming for. Stop thinking of yourself as being incapable/uneducated to 'do better' than menial labor. You can do better if you want to. For one you said college was too expensive, but what about community college? Could you afford that? It is indeed difficult to find jobs without a so-called "proper education", but not impossible at all. What you need to do is ask yourself what it is you want to do and like to do. Then pursue that and don't let anything or anyone stop you.

However, if you find happiness in doing menial tasks and happy with a job that is traditionally viewed with disrespect, then just ignore the world because they are the miserable ones, people unhappy with their own lives and their own jobs who are taking their stress and anger out on others. If you can be happy with the simple things, then by all means be happy. Don't let anything get in the way of that.

Good luck.

It kind of sounds like your mind is made up a little bit. I would say, recently myself I considered quitting my job, moving to a place with a lower cost of living, and taking a mild inheritance I had and putting it into stocks that would allow me to live off the dividends. I still sort of think about doing that. I could, if I so chose, get a roommate and even have more sit at home power.

But when I did the math, it is still really close. One bad expense and I would be in the red..

I modeled my plan after my cousin who did exactly that. Then I found out the inheritance she got from her parents was insane. And that crazy money was just allowing her to survive off it with a part time job.

Expenses are just always more than you thought.

Latest posts

Back