Religeon?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What religeon(s) do you most closely associate with? Go ahead and click more than one if you like.

• Christianity

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Islam

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buddhism

• Sikhism

• Judaism

• Shinto

• Confucianism

• Other

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Atheism/None

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters

Qui

Reaction score
re·li·gion [ri-lij-uhn] –noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

That's what the dictionary says, but what does it mean to you?
Is religeon a large part of your life, does it help or hinder you, how do you practice it, this isn't a thread for arguing for or against any religeon, just for personal experience, k thnx.

I pick Christianity and Buddhism.

Christianity cos I come from a Christin back ground and Buddhism cos the moor I learn about Buddhism the moor I am impressed.

I should just say that religion is not a bit part of my life or even a part at all. If I was going to practice one I think I would probably leave Christianity for Buddhism.
But since I think my own path is the way I should go then am, going to stick to my own thing.
Am not an Atheist and do believe here is something there just not what you would learn from a book. I don't think that kinder thing can be learnt from a book or indeed and one person. You have to fallow your own path me tinks.

im an athiest. dont believe in god at all, tho i do find it interesting.

The whole piont (other then for power) of religion is to be a good person, and i find it takes a nicer person to be good for the sake of doing good, then to be good for the fear of going to hell.

Im quite comfortable not believing in god, i would hate the idea of heavan, no one can seriously stay in one place for eternity and not loose there mind. Death is nessesary part of life, you cannot stay on one state of mind forever, you need to "reformat", start over again, otherwise life (or afterlife) would get very depressing, nothing would be exciting anymore. try and actually contemplate eternity, it would suck.

I consider myself more of an free thinking theistic agnostic, but I chose Christianity as I often affiliate myself with it for simplicity. The stories and teachings of Bible have deeply effected me and changed me a lot as a person. I haven't had time to get into much other major world religions, but Buddhism is something that has also moved me with Christianity.

Qui said:
Is religeon a large part of your life, does it help or hinder you, how do you practice it

For me it is big part of my life. It effects how I view the world, how I form my own morality, how I am as a person. I don't find it hindering me since me being religious is same as accepting myself as who I am.

I personally used to be some kind of atheist some years back, but I realised that I was only living in denial of my own faith. What kind of atheist would fall for prayer and ask God for help in his time of need? I didn't recognize myself religious though until the beginning of this year.

I am not highly traditional Christian as I find myself free from church's authority. I practice it by going to church at times though as I feel it is good for my spiritual health and growth as well to giving perspective to how my church interprets Bible.

However going to church and praying isn't the only or even the most important way. Most important way of practising your faith as Christian in my opinion is to show love, compassion and forgiveness to other people without exception.

BlackCat said:
I am a Wiccan, so I chose other. I do celebrate the sabbats, do "Magic," and I do rituals. Go me.

I consider myself more spiritual than religious. BTW, Black Cat the Wiccan religion is a very beautiful religion that combines nature, the cycles of life, and the female and male aspects of the Divine.

Naleena said:
BlackCat said:
I am a Wiccan, so I chose other. I do celebrate the sabbats, do "Magic," and I do rituals. Go me.

I consider myself more spiritual than religious. BTW, Black Cat the Wiccan religion is a very beautiful religion that combines nature, the cycles of life, and the female and male aspects of the Divine.

It's great that someone realizes that Wicca isn't about worshiping the devil! :D *high fives* I just gave the bare basics of some of the stuff I do. Nature is a big part of it.

BlackCat said:
Naleena said:
BlackCat said:

It's great that someone realizes that Wicca isn't about worshiping the devil! :D *high fives* I just gave the bare basics of some of the stuff I do. Nature is a big part of it.

I got into that a bit for a while, but then, my earlier experiences with voodoo creeped me out so much I was like, uh, no rituals for me thanks.
and dude, satanism is devil worship. wicca is practically the opposite. that pisses me off so much when peole say wicca is evil. It's sooo not! Voodun, on the other hand... *shudders*

I have to agree with you there Qui. Voodoo is very very creepy. But the rituals aren't really the same at all actually. The intent in Wicca isn't to harm, and the intent isn't dark like voodoo.

Plus, to any of you that didn't know, Satanism isn't really about worshiping a "devil" or anything. It's a pretty peaceful religion, and it was around before Christianity. So Christianity just gave it a bad name, and it so happens that the evil symbol in Christianity is a symbol of Satanism.

Dang Qui. You sure do read up on some creepy stuff. Our last discussion was about ghosts and things that go bump in the night.

Naleena said:
BlackCat said:

I agree with the above quotes. Though to me, "Magic" is spelled Magick ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magick ), and I prefer ceremonial forms of Magick, practices that are similar to the works accomplished by Aleister Crowley.

Crowley was a misunderstood genius, demonized by the times that he lived in (1875-1947). The bass-ackwards people back then were scared of their own shadows, and they called anything that they didn't understand evil. Magick is just Magick; there is no black or white Magick. It's analogous to the concept of guns. There are no "black or white" guns; it's the people, and what they do with those guns that makes the difference between what's good and what's bad, and it's the same with Magick.

The best book that I've found so far on the subject of Ceremonial Magick is called "High Magic: Theory & Practice" by Frater U.: D.: ( http://www.amazon.com/High-Magic-Practice-Frater-U/dp/0738704717 ) . It is a book for both the absolute beginner and the wise, old sage.

A couple of examples of the kinds of things, along with actually learning the ins and outs of practicing Ceremonial Magick, that you can glean from the book:

Note: The use of the terms "high" and "low" when describing forms of magic(k) are just that, descriptions. One is not better than the other, they are just different, and this particular term usage has always been a convenient way to differentiate between them.

"Low Magic" is the term used when an individual personally works with the elements of nature in practicing their magic; much like Wiccans do, for the most part.

The term "High Magic" is used when a person actually conjures up spirits to do all the work; much like what is done with Ceremonial Magick. King Solomon is said to have been a High Magic (or Magick) worker, though theories do differ on exactly what went on with him, his Wisdom and his Magick in the distant past ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_of_Solomon ).

The other example I want to give is probably the most important aspect of this post, and if nothing else, I'd like you to know about it so that you might give it further consideration during your idle time:

In the early 1900's, Sigmund Freud ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud ) basically endeavored to get his followers to "tear-down" the subconscious part of the human psyche. He believed that the subconscious part of the mind was the most powerful, and that if it could be brought under control, most psychological traits that "went against the norm" could be cured.

But there was another guy around the same time (and I can't remember his name off of the top of my head, but it is in the "High Magic" book), working independently of Freud, who didn't want to tear-down the subconscious mind, but actually wanted to amplify it. This guy was concerned with performing magic (not the "slight-of-hand" kind, but real magic), and it was his belief that the unconscious part of the mind was responsible for accomplishing feats that could only be described as magical.

Think about the religions that get people to go into a trance and "talk in tongues."

The power of deep/intense prayer.

And Zen-type meditations that get you to mentally reach into your subconscious mind.

Even the blasted psychiatrists and psychologists are wont to hypnotize people, accessing their subconscious minds.

I could go into more detail, but basically just know that the subconscious part of the human mind is the most important component when dealing with religion, spiritualism, Freud's so called psychoanalysis (gods save us), and yes, even Magic(k). Therefore, with in our own minds, said religions, spiritualism, psychoanalysis and Magic(k) must be pretty close to being one-and-the-same.

(Though I have yet to actually practice any form of Ceremonial Magick myself, I'm well-read with it and very interested in communing with others on this subject. If there are any like minds in this matter at this forum, please PM me.)

BlackCat said:
I have to agree with you there Qui. Voodoo is very very creepy. But the rituals aren't really the same at all actually. The intent in Wicca isn't to harm, and the intent isn't dark like voodoo.

Plus, to any of you that didn't know, Satanism isn't really about worshiping a "devil" or anything. It's a pretty peaceful religion, and it was around before Christianity. So Christianity just gave it a bad name, and it so happens that the evil symbol in Christianity is a symbol of Satanism.

Dang Qui. You sure do read up on some creepy stuff. Our last discussion was about ghosts and things that go bump in the night.

well, I had a friend that was satanic, and she's always been as antichristian as anyone. I don't know so much about it myself.

but yeah, voodun is bad. figures that of all my dabbles in different obscure religeons that's the one I was drawn to the most. I've always been drawn to dark, creepy things. I hate and love it all at the same time.

I was raised both Muslim and Christian, the same with my sister. Don't ask me how my parents got together to take each other seriously enough to start a family.

That is something I am still trying to decipher to this day.

My sister and I are atheists. We believe that there is a higher power out there, but there IS NOT some old guy with a white beard and and white hair making the decisions for us all.

DayvanCowboy said:
I was raised both Muslim and Christian, the same with my sister. Don't ask me how my parents got together to take each other seriously enough to start a family.

That is something I am still trying to decipher to this day.

My sister and I are atheists. We believe that there is a higher power out there, but there IS NOT some old guy with a white beard and and white hair making the decisions for us all.

then your agnostic, athiest is where you do not believe in a higher being, fullstop.

Don't ask me how my parents got together to take each other seriously enough to start a family.

maybe because they dont judge people for there religion? i think it would be sad if 2 people decided not to have a family just because they follow different religions.

You are right Porman. I am agnostic, but that is only because I get the two mixed up.

I have lots to do and things to take care of so I can get the simplest things mixed up. I know it sounds lame but it is the truth, but you are right.

Don't ask me how my parents got together to take each other seriously enough to start a family.

My father still practices and so as my mother. It is something that weirds me out. It seems like they just wanted to make children together and then leave each other be.

Well, I was raised a Catholic, dabbled in a few new age religions, and then finally became the comitted agnostic I am today.

Frostburn said:
Most important way of practising your faith as Christian in my opinion is to show love, compassion and forgiveness to other people without exception.

I agree whole heartedly with you, Frostburn. Love, compassion and forgiveness are most important.

Was brought up christian, but I seriously doubt there is a loving god. I dont really know what I would be considered now. I just try and be a good person, not because someone is trying to scare me into thinking im going to go to a bad place if I dont, but because I want to.

I was "raised" as Christian, but I've probably been 100% agnostic for 100% of my life. When living under my mother, I didn't speak out. I just went along with it. When I became an adult, I revealed to my mother how I really felt. She was... not happy about it, but I think she's used to it by now.

Interesting how most people here are Atheist or Other.
I ticked both becuase I'm still uncertain as to whether there is some abtract entity beyond the universe.
Taking into account the high possibility of a "multiverse" I feel that what we perceive as the universe is only just the beginning of what is truly the greater entity outside of our perception.

Latest posts

Back