What is Friendship?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dd11

Reaction score
What is friendship to you? When does someone pass from an acquaintance to a friendship? How do you know when you have crossed that threshold? To me, I don't consider someone a friend unless I have interactions with them beyond whatever event or activity I am involved in. I consider a friend someone I have called to just chat with or gone to their home and/or they to my home. Otherwise, I think of others more as acquaintances than friends.

Hmm... to me it's actually different. I distinguish between acquaitances, "friends", friends.

I consider some rare people "friends" by instinct, after some meetings and talking.
After that... it's just that downgrading them back to acquaitances is very common.
"Upgrading" to friend.. I don't even know myself when that happens... but it does happen...
I'm not helping much, am I? XD

Acceptance, fidelity, implicit trust, knowing someone, being known yourself... I could go on.

For me, there's a shift when someone goes from being a mere acquaintance to a friend. Maybe it's because you learn to trust them or because you find you have more commonalities than differences, I'm not sure. It's palpable, though.

Even if that would turn most of my school friends into mere acquaintances, I have to admit that I only elevate people to friend status once I interact with them beyond the boundaries of a certain activity or location (school, job, etc.). Of course I only do that when there's a certain connection and when I deem them reasonable and trustworthy enough. If that's the case, I have an active interest in what's going on with them and their lives...which does not happen with people in general. I reckon I'm a rather inconsiderate person towards all my acquaintances.

I wanted to add to my previous post that i don't believe meeting a person often is necessary. It helps, sure.

However all I deem really necessary is talking.. and hopefully devolping a relationship of understanding and trust.

I have always found it a challenge to take the next step from acquaintance to friend.

delledonne11 said:
I have always found it a challenge to take the next step from acquaintance to friend.

I find this to be a challenge too nowadays. I have major trust issues. :\

How do I deem someone a friend is when I've known them for long enough and well enough that they are trustworthy, it's even better when there's a good connection going and I feel comfortable enough around them.

A friend to me is:

1. Someone you trust
  2. Who shares events/interests and activities
  3. Supportive
  4. Not afraid to open up

Friendship works both ways!

Too often will I meet people that, will want to hang but, hardly ever try to make contact. Other times, I'm usually the only one that is trying to meet up. The best way, I've made friends is seeing who I attract and kinda going it from there. My closest friends are ones that, I've had for years from Middle School up to College. Alot of them are perceived as offbeat or social misfits. My mom always comments that, I always attract "crazy people" but, my friends have been there for me more times than I can count. I wouldnt trade them for the world.

As far as acquaintances, I have some that have gone out of there way for me but, it never goes beyond that. Maybe its differences, or maybe these people just dont consider me part of there circle. Its rare that an acquaintance becomes a close friend for me but, I leave that for them to decide if, Im worth their time and I decide if they are worth mine.

Also, some friendships end eventually, and I think that is always the best time to go out and make new ones if you can. I've certainly made efforts to make new friends in real life and online but, have very little to show for my efforts. However, I happy with the friends I do have in my life.

I believe friends are people you are comfortable hanging out with/talking to outside the workplace or school. People that won't judge and will support you just like you will for them. Acquaintances are people you know and have talked to enough to know their name and maybe hang out, but that's about it.

It's a deep bond which consists loyalty, trust, empathy, understanding, support, communication, shoulder to cry on, someone to laugh with, common interests and platonic love.

Friendship, *smiles*

Friendship...

When you're accepted for weirdness and uniqueness
When you know where to put your head when you're sad
When you know whom to turn when you want to share something
When you know whom to talk when in little trouble
When you know you can trust them
When you feel you are comfortable
When you feel at ease
When you feel you're safe there
When you feel someone care for you
When you feel someone will be sad cause you're sad
When you feel someone will cheer you up to lift your mood...

These and many more. Truth is It's impossible to define what friendship is. I and we all can write novels and long stories about it and even then It won't be enough. Friendship is the most precious gift in this world, anyone without it is the poorest. I know, I have been there without any friends, without anyone to talk to.

Right now, I have few, only handful or should I say fingerful.

And another thing about friendship, you will find it where you least expect it like Diamond in rough. and once you have it, treasure it, cherish it, admire and adore it cause if it is lost it won't come back ever, ever.

Doh! Another long post. *taps my head*
Can't help it, such to nice topic to write about. :D

Something's gotta click. Some kind of recognition. I don't know what it is, but it rarely happens for me.

I think friend level starts at : someone that I can be myself with. I don't have to put on any act at all.

For me, it takes a couple of years to get to that point. Then it grows deeper from there, depending upon shared time and experiences. I only have one friend, but I'm practicing, and some of my acquaintances are getting closer.

Sometimes said:
I think friend level starts at : someone that I can be myself with. I don't have to put on any act at all.

For me, it takes a couple of years to get to that point. Then it grows deeper from there, depending upon shared time and experiences.

This, too, pretty much.

Friendship is something very special. Friend's are hard to hard. When things are not going so well,that's when you need friends.
Sometimes friends disagree over things,but can still be friends,that's part of what makes a friendship.
It's only when you lose a friend,you find out just how special that friendship was.

Sometimes said:
Something's gotta click. Some kind of recognition. I don't know what it is, but it rarely happens for me.

For me, it takes a couple of years to get to that point. Then it grows deeper from there, depending upon shared time and experiences. I only have one friend, but I'm practicing, and some of my acquaintances are getting closer.

I totally agree, and it rarely happens for me either.

With every passing year, it seems people really have less time or already established friendships so they don't really want to do the work of learning someone new. I live in a small town. I have made some good friends here. But, I find it interesting that the friends I have made here also are transplants and did not grow up here.

I'm quite a shy person so it takes a while for me to come out of my shell. I think any friendship needs time - first and foremost. There is one person whom I wish I had more time with. I met her on a forum similar to this one and basically fell head over heels for her, which was ultimately my downfall. We had so much in common, so much I wanted to say, and she was just lovely. For me friendship is about quality over quantity.

Friendship is when people are genuine and real with each other. Friendship is being there for someone no matter what. Anything else is not real friendship.

Friendship is fake. I got tired of being backstabbed by my so-called friends and told them to fresia off. Now I prefer to be alone. As they say, friends, who needs them?

Latest posts

Back