Why are most British people so socially cold?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MissGuided said:
matt4 said:
Others that have interacted with British people too?

BeyondShy said:
There is someone that I know in here that is from England and she is one of the nicest people you would want to talk to.

matt4 said:
Nobody asked for your opinion did they?

Yes. You did.

How about a better way of putting it... If you've got nothing nice to say about me due to the thread i started don't say it.

matt4 said:
MissGuided said:
matt4 said:
Others that have interacted with British people too?

BeyondShy said:
There is someone that I know in here that is from England and she is one of the nicest people you would want to talk to.

matt4 said:
Nobody asked for your opinion did they?

Yes. You did.

How about a better way of putting it... If you've got nothing nice to say about me due to the thread i started don't say it.

Good grief, not one person has said anything disparaging about you. Where did that even come from?!

You made a thread and asked for opinions. BeyondShy gave his. You didn't like it and posted that 'nobody asked for his opinion'. I reminded you that, in fact, you did. The comment you made to him was uncalled for, simply put.

If you plan to start a thread on public forum with the request to 'discuss', prepare for differing views.

This is a public forum, BeyondShy didn't say anything offensive to you for you to be so rude back. You asked for an opinion and they gave their opinion based on someone they know.

If you don't want people posting in response to questions you ask, who can offer something relevant to the conversation, then don't ask. Simple as that. This is a public forum, just because someone says something that doesn't agree with your point of view is no reason to be ignorant towards them.

Before I even clicked on this thread I knew it was going to be a doozy and I want to thank you for coming through..

That ^^

If that wasn't an antisocial response or a response aimed at attacking me then I don't know what is. Note the emphasis on YOU.

Refrain from attacking me and only attack the content. That in my opinion is rude enough.

Geezus, snappy snappy... Really though, I know a handful of people from that area, and they're all nice. So, perhaps the area doesn't really dictate how a person is to be.

matt4 said:
Before I even clicked on this thread I knew it was going to be a doozy and I want to thank you for coming through..

That ^^

If that wasn't an antisocial response or a response aimed at attacking me then I don't know what is. Note the emphasis on YOU.

Refrain from attacking me and only attack the content. That in my opinion is rude enough.

Saying something is a doozy isn't an insult. That's not really an antisocial response, but how you feel about any comment doesn't mean you should be rude. You could have easily ignored it.

That's not really antisocial at all. I can't even see where someone would get that from that comment.

I will risk an observation here. My country is a popular destination for british expats, and because of this I do know, or have been in classes with, the women who are children of british expats. What I am observing is that alot of these children-of have issues of anger and depression, and express alot of this anger and frustration at their *mothers*, who they view as cold and unsupportive. They feel suppressed, unvalidated, unloved.

I think perhaps the hard times of the war has alot to do with that coldness. Loss was ever-present and you had to be able to carry on. How many generations does it take for the effects of this evil to dissipate?

Drama on the forum and I wasn't involved?
shock.gif

Please, continue
popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

:p

Brits aren't cold in my experience. Excessively polite, or impolite, depending on background but not unsocial.

Americans can be though, according to their political views usually. There's a certain 'make your own way' libertarian, you against the world mentality with some.

Stereotypes are interesting to talk about and may help us think we are able to make sense of the world and the people around us but at the end of the day they are mostly hurtful. I can think of a stereotype for just about every type of person out there. My (least) favorites are American women are easy to get into bed and Americans are loud and crass.

My British grandpa was quite reserved but also a very hard-working and resilient man who bravely got on a ship to cross the ocean to North America. And he got married and had two kids so I don't think the socially cold stereotype held true for him.
When I lived in London for 2 years, my more gregarious American friends who were liable to hug anyone they've just met had a harder time fitting in, it seems. On the other hand, I prefer to be more friendly with people as I get to know them instead of becoming best friends immediately and I saw that was true with many British people I met. I love the British and as another commenter mentioned, the British sense of humor is unrivaled.

-Teresa

:) SofiasMami posted;I love the British and as another commenter mentioned,the British sense of humour is unrivaled.

There are not many English people on this site,but they do have a sense of humour. Gabriel20 acts like a silly and very childish 5 year old and posts silly jokes and video clips. :)

Perhaps it is not all the English people. It is perhaps the individual person who could be sad or cold.

When I was on a school trip to London many years ago our host family was really laidback and quite welcoming. I've also made a friend on here from the UK who is equally laidback and an overall very cool person. Left ALL behind by now though. In any case, my experience differs to the cold and reserved stereotype.

All the British people I've met were nice to me. At one point I really wanted a British girlfriend or maybe even a wife. But no luck.

I think most people are (At least a bit) reserved, British or not, until you get to know them. Then, like me, I'm all warm, soft & squishy, like a marshmallow heating on an open fire.

Lol.

As a British male I understand totally what you mean.

It's an awkwardness that has been handed down through generations. We're taught politeness and manners and etiquette but never how to apply that to the real world. We're taught to "mind our own business" and that it's rude to question people but then as we grow older, we don;'t know when those rules no longer apply, so unless you have someone confident enough in a group to break those "rules" then people appear cold and aloof when actually they are desperate to start talking to someone.

But I can say without a shadow of a doubt that we Brits are a lovely bunch of people and will always appreciate a good conversation - you just might have to be the ones to instigate it ;)

I think to "latin countries" or Southern cultures the English in general do seem a bit cold, especially for the lack of touching and generally expressions of physical affection, hospitality is not exactly the way it would be in Turkey or in Italy (where people you barely know would invite you to lunch, dinner and their brother's wedding), but but but of course a lot are good persons, it's just the communication tools they have learned are not that great to expressing feelings.
I agree with h3donist so many are simply shy, that's why I enjoyed living there, a whole country of shy people :D Although that DID bring about some exceptionally awkward situations.

All the British people I've met online have been pretty rude. Except her. I liked her.

I grew up in the British colony of Hong Kong. I was a foreign born American ex-pat living in a fragment of the late British Empire that was a multicultural melange of ex-pats.

Here's what I know, every single national stereotype is totally misleading, usually wrong and has absolutely no bearing on individual members of that nationality or culture.

Human nature does not change from culture to culture....however customs do vary, and that is where misperceptions arise....also that's where stereotypes come from too.

For the record, in my opinion the British are not all socially cold, the Americans are not all uncouth, loud vulgarians, the Chinese are not all devious and greedy.....and the list goes on.

Actually, back in the colonial days of Hong Kong, English boys seemed to be really proud of having American girlfriends and American boys liked English girls. How the girls felt, I never really knew.....chicks of all kinds were a big mystery to me.

Latest posts

Back