Why are most British people so socially cold?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
constant stranger said:
I grew up in the British colony of Hong Kong. I was a foreign born American ex-pat living in a fragment of the late British Empire that was a multicultural melange of ex-pats.

Here's what I know, every single national stereotype is totally misleading, usually wrong and has absolutely no bearing on individual members of that nationality or culture.

Human nature does not change from culture to culture....however customs do vary, and that is where misperceptions arise....also that's where stereotypes come from too.

For the record, in my opinion the British are not all socially cold, the Americans are not all uncouth, loud vulgarians, the Chinese are not all devious and greedy.....and the list goes on.

+1

TheRealCallie said:
This is true EVERYWHERE, not just in the UK. Some people in NYC and Los Angeles and Las Vegas are going to be less polite than in smaller areas or close knit areas. It's all about where you are and what you are doing.

I'm a Kiwi and I'd say his statement is reasonably accurate if a little too general. I found people in Manhattan far friendlier than in London's city centre for sure. People will you give you death stares in London if you accidently walk in front of them and then apologise and I saw Londoners have angry outbursts almost everyday I was there. Plus, if you walk into a store in London and say hi to the person behind the counter, they often just look at you like you're an alien. You don't tend to get this in NYC, even if people can be superficial.

NYC has a much more positive vibe than London I think.

Paraiyar said:
TheRealCallie said:
This is true EVERYWHERE, not just in the UK. Some people in NYC and Los Angeles and Las Vegas are going to be less polite than in smaller areas or close knit areas. It's all about where you are and what you are doing.

I'm a Kiwi and I'd say his statement is reasonably accurate if a little too general. I found people in Manhattan far friendlier than in London's city centre for sure. People will you give you death stares in London if you accidently walk in front of them and then apologise and I saw Londoners have angry outbursts almost everyday I was there. Plus, if you walk into a store in London and say hi to the person behind the counter, they often just look at you like you're an alien. You don't tend to get this in NYC, even if people can be superficial.

Never thought I'd read anywhere that New Yorkers were more positive. New Yorkers are known for being rude, and coming from New Jersey myself, I've actually heard this often, especially being down here. The second most common comment I get - other than, "Where's your accent?" - is how's it feel being out of the city. I'm not from a big city, but that whole mentality that some folks have about it is quite comical at times. I know a few New Yorkers, but not really anyone from London, so I can't really say if they're colder as people. I doubt it though.

VanillaCreme said:
Never thought I'd read anywhere that New Yorkers were more positive. New Yorkers are known for being rude

I've heard this too. London is a very multi-cultural place so I can't imagine why someone would look at you like an alien from behind the counter. Was you holding a gun or something? Lol

I've only known one American, he was a security guard.
Once I got over how loud he was and talkative, he was quite and interesting guy.

Londoners were friendly to me when I was there, as well as people I met in other cities and in Scotland.
Parisians now... :p They weren't very friendly. I think it was because it was a large city though - not because they were French.

EveWasFramed said:
Londoners were friendly to me when I was there, as well as people I met in other cities and in Scotland.
Parisians now... :p They weren't very friendly. I think it was because it was a large city though - not because they were French.

I think that can be said for a lot of New Yorkers too. It's just the mentality of a big city. Same could probably be said for LA, Detroit, and any other rather large cities or dwellings. It could definitely be said for Philly, I know that much.

Triple Bogey said:
I've only known one American, he was a security guard.
Once I got over how loud he was and talkative, he was quite and interesting guy.

The loud and talkative thing is absolutely true, relatively at least. It seems just as strange to me as it does to you.

What can I say, introversion and shyness puts me at a disadvantage here, that I possibly wouldn't have elsewhere.

VanillaCreme said:
Paraiyar said:
TheRealCallie said:

Never thought I'd read anywhere that New Yorkers were more positive. New Yorkers are known for being rude, and coming from New Jersey myself, I've actually heard this often, especially being down here. The second most common comment I get - other than, "Where's your accent?" - is how's it feel being out of the city. I'm not from a big city, but that whole mentality that some folks have about it is quite comical at times. I know a few New Yorkers, but not really anyone from London, so I can't really say if they're colder as people. I doubt it though.

I guess I just felt a lot happier walking around New York than London. Saw lots of characters in Manhattan. People just weren't as memorable in London.

Paraiyar said:
VanillaCreme said:
Paraiyar said:
TheRealCallie said:

I guess I just felt a lot happier walking around New York than London. Saw lots of characters in Manhattan. People just weren't as memorable in London. And I found them blunt but usually not rude.

I guess I just felt a lot happier in New York than London. Saw lots of characters in Manhattan and it just feels a lot more fun. Saw lots of characters there as well, didn't meet many memorable in London. Customer service in the guitar stores sucks compared to the U.S as well, like not even close to being on the same level.

I found most of the New Yorkers blunt but not rude as well. Just my experience, nothing more. Could be different this time as well.

I'm from the UK, and personally I am a very friendly and approachable person, but in general Brits have a reputation for being reserved and cold. Most people I know are warm and friendly, but I think if you visit a big city like London you may find it harder to get to know people. I think being reserved is an inherent quality in all of us as a nation, more so in the older generation, but once you break through that you'll find warmth and generosity.

ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:
I don't agree with that statement. It's a myth.

This...^ I don't agree either, it's quite a generalization to say that 'most British people are socially cold.' My mum is British, I know lots of people from the UK, and I've never found this at all - as a whole, I find them to be very pleasant, easy-going, polite, witty. Maybe they are not as demonstrative as people from other countries (meaning hugs as greetings, touchy/feely, expressive) and this is what you perceive as socially cold? But again, that's a generalization. Really, the same could be said for any culture/country - depends on context, the individual person's personality, etc...

I'm British, and here's a cliche about the British:

It's very hard to get to know them, but once a friend, always a friend.

I'd say that was true. And don't forget that "an Englishman's home is his castle" - he doesn't invite many people inside.

If you want casual friendliness, travel out of the centre. Cockneys are famous for being friendly.

VanillaCreme said:
Paraiyar said:
TheRealCallie said:
This is true EVERYWHERE, not just in the UK.  Some people in NYC and Los Angeles and Las Vegas are going to be less polite than in smaller areas or close knit areas.  It's all about where you are and what you are doing.

Lol sorry was just reading this because visiting New York in two weeks for the first time :D

Well I learned something new; some ppl still think this is a thing. Who knew.

Guess I should start saying "aboot" now as well.

Funny about New York. I've never been there, but I've heard that they're not rude in NYC, just in a hurry. You don't waste time in a store with pleases and thank yous, because there is a queue of people behind you, so in a way it's a form of politeness towards the other people. I found Hong Kong is like this.

It's a bit like the rude Frenchman stereotype. A friend lived in France, and told me the stereotype is true to some limited extent, but only in Paris. Go and live anywhere else, and the people are very warm.

Latest posts

Back