Why are most British people so socially cold?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iTheLoadedDog said:
Funny about New York.  I've never been there, but I've heard that they're not rude in NYC, just in a hurry.  You don't waste time in a store with pleases and thank yous, because there is a queue of people behind you, so in a way it's a form of politeness towards the other people.  I found Hong Kong is like this.

It's a bit like the rude Frenchman stereotype.  A friend lived in France, and told me the stereotype is true to some limited extent, but only in Paris.  Go and live anywhere else, and the people are very warm.

Same in Montreal, though its closer to NYC, most ppl are just in a hurry, though it depends which parts of town, same as Paris. Soon as you go to the country though, they'll yap till your ears fall off and invite you to dinner. twice lol

Ahh is makes so much sense it’s not that I’m “socially cold” it’s that I’m English 😂

Richard_39 said:
iTheLoadedDog said:
Funny about New York.  I've never been there, but I've heard that they're not rude in NYC, just in a hurry.  You don't waste time in a store with pleases and thank yous, because there is a queue of people behind you, so in a way it's a form of politeness towards the other people.  I found Hong Kong is like this.

It's a bit like the rude Frenchman stereotype.  A friend lived in France, and told me the stereotype is true to some limited extent, but only in Paris.  Go and live anywhere else, and the people are very warm.

Same in Montreal, though its closer to NYC, most ppl are just in a hurry, though it depends which parts of town, same as Paris. Soon as you go to the country though, they'll yap till your ears fall off and invite you to dinner. twice lol

Soooooo true!!!

Artsygirl72 said:
Ahh is makes so much sense it’s not that I’m “socially cold” it’s that I’m English 😂

Us brits are lovely people!!

They do seem to be less effusive in individual encounters than we are in the States.  Which might say more about us than it does about them.   We perfected the casual/outgoing/eccentric thing in order to avoid social silence, which we find awkward.  The rest of the world seems okay with it.

OTOH, they are more group-oriented than we are.  They participate in trivia quizzes, group walks, caravan vacationing, holiday camps, competitions and contests of every type.   Audience participation is huge, as well, with call-and-response punchlines and catch-phrases that unite everyone.  And they sing like canaries at sporting events.  Together.

Then, there's pub culture vs the solitary American bar scene.  Buses and trains there, individual cars here.  Tourist compounds in Spain vs every-man-for-himself accommodations here.  I have no doubt they had little difficulty sleeping shoulder-to-shoulder in the Underground during the Blitz.  Over here, we'd need walls and locked doors between us.

But we wave, nod and shout 'howdy' on the street.  That's not really socializing, though.

Everywhere across the world, People can and are antisocial, for all different reasons, not just in the U.K. every country has issues with people being anti social issues.

I’m British and find that other British people aren’t cold but friendly. How did you get to the conclusion that British people are cold?

I'm American, grew up in a British colony and attended British schools for the first nine years of my education. I never experienced social coldness from them.

There does appear to be a cultural difference - I'm not comfortable expressing which countries I'm referring to incase I offend anybody in this forum who might be from said countries - but I've been to one country, and had a very 'rude' vibe off the locals, then gone to another, where I've had a 'welcoming' vibe.

But is England any ruder? I wouldn't say so.

Norway got that rude wibe. Lol. 😄 We are a society of conformity.
People here tend to be a bit closed off to new people. Once you get inside it’s much warmer.

The Japanese are very friendly people according to my sister - she's been to Japan a few times.

To match the weather,,, and to make the rest of the world feel at home.

hewhowalksalone said:
The Japanese are very friendly people according to my sister - she's been to Japan a few times.

Japanese are very similar to Germans in that respect?

I wonder why?

We British don't feel any guilt (the powers that be at least don't)and like Americans can't seem to learn from past mistakes.

Aww, man. I blocked his messages. Now I wish I'd know what he'd said. What can I say? I'm a very curious person.

In Russia I see the same: coldness and unfriendliness. I see it not only in the real life but also on Russian forums.
And I myself became cold and closed because of people's unfriendliness, coldness, rudeness.
When I communicated with Ukrainian people I found them much more open and friendly.
I am not a racist or nationalist but in my opinion Ukrainian people are more friendly than Russian.
Also I have great experience of work and communication with Armenian people. And they are very warm, talkative and friendly.

There are other places in the UK than London. I'm from the NE of England and we are very friendly. I might be shy, but I always say morning or such like to people. We are a polite nation who are good at queuing and in my opinion have the best plugs, 3 pin is so much better than 2 lol

sub-buzz-4362-1489014355-7.png

RedNemesis, it's good to know there is another English resident on here.

Also, I think that the events of '28 days later' actually happened because some thoughtless bugger put a teabag in the sink...

Lol the dreaded teabag! And how about when you wash up there is always a teaspoon that you miss. I have a washing machine that eats socks, Where do they go!!!  :D And nice to meet you both

Agh! Sink clear of pots. Side clear of cups and glasses. Set off dishwasher. Turn around - two teaspoons near the teapot! Yeah, it really irks me when that happens.

Latest posts

Back