Can't give rep anymore

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dandelion

I used to be able to rep peoples posts, bottom left corner. Now the icon is gone.

Dandelion said:
I used to be able to rep peoples posts, bottom left corner. Now the icon is gone.

The feature appears to now be disabled. I suspect this was due to recent activity of some trying to 'game the system'.

MissGuided said:
Dandelion said:

The feature appears to now be disabled. I suspect this was due to recent activity of some trying to 'game the system'.

Yeah, that's my assumption too. It looks like you can still rep members, but not posts anymore. You can only rep each member once though.

Mods: is there a way to activate Neutral Reputation, but limit Positive Reputation? The idea would be that people could just give each other neutral reputation as much as they like, and since it is neutral it can be whatever anyone wants it to be. But to limit the number of positive reputation one can give per day, so that people can still give it, but have to choose more wisely.

Yes, they've been disabled temporarily since a few people wanted to use it in a way it wasn't exactly intended to be used. For positive reasons or not, it was still misuse.

TheSkaFish said:
Mods: is there a way to activate Neutral Reputation, but limit Positive Reputation? The idea would be that people could just give each other neutral reputation as much as they like, and since it is neutral it can be whatever anyone wants it to be. But to limit the number of positive reputation one can give per day, so that people can still give it, but have to choose more wisely.

Neutral reps were disabled a while ago.

TheSkaFish said:

I think this is a great idea!

There was already a limit to how many you can give a day.

And yet, folks still found a way to spoil it. :/

Also, with the neutral reps... It's not so much the positive, neutral, or negative signs as much as it is the comment left with the rep - if there is one left. There's been an instance or two where a positive rep was left, but a not-so-nice comment was left with it. So, neutral reps may seem like a good idea, until you realize it can be used negatively anyway. There's a reason why it was disabled.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
Maybe until the rep system is fixed, sending a PM might work? Y'know, like a thank you letter.

That is a really nice idea. While it would take a little more effort than just clicking a button, it should be worth it for a 'thank you'.

Minus said:
Mr Seal The Albatros said:
Maybe until the rep system is fixed, sending a PM might work? Y'know, like a thank you letter.

That is a really nice idea. While it would take a little more effort than just clicking a button, it should be worth it for a 'thank you'.

Agreed. Great conversation starters as well :)

ladyforsaken said:
What do you mean by this?

Isn't it obvious?

It's an idiots way of saying I exploited the system to get tons of fake rep for some adolescent reason, messed it for everyone else, but I don't really give a honeysuckle. Wink.

+1 to me, oh wait; I can't give rep.

Lol.

I'm confused by this decision. =/ Does it really matter if a few people want to rep each other ten thousand times? I mean, why do we care? It's not as though it's hurting anyone, it's just an annoyance, which I was ignoring like all the other annoyances that occur around here. Were they given a warning first?

Maybe I'm missing something... I guess I just don't see why it's such a problem that it warrants disabling the system. I understand they weren't using it in the best way, but what was the actual abuse? What line was crossed? Were they enjoying themselves too much? :p Are there restrictions on the reasons you can give reps?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just not making sense to me right now. If someone would be willing to explain a little more specifically I would be grateful!

That aside, perhaps it's time to finally chuck the rep function altogether since it seems to be a source of consternation more often than it should. Is that currently being considered? I know it's been discussed off and on for a long time. I enjoy giving reps, but if it disappeared tomorrow I don't know that it would be terribly missed.

ladyforsaken said:
What do you mean by this?

Flippancy is how some people mask feelings of guilt.

Because it's not being used as intended, which is against the rules, it's simple really.

Solivagant said:
I'm confused by this decision. =/ Does it really matter if a few people want to rep each other ten thousand times? I mean, why do we care? It's not as though it's hurting anyone, it's just an annoyance, which I was ignoring like all the other annoyances that occur around here. Were they given a warning first?

Maybe I'm missing something... I guess I just don't see why it's such a problem that it warrants disabling the system. I understand they weren't using it in the best way, but what was the actual abuse? What line was crossed? Were they enjoying themselves too much? :p Are there restrictions on the reasons you can give reps?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just not making sense to me right now. If someone would be willing to explain a little more specifically I would be grateful!

That aside, perhaps it's time to finally chuck the rep function altogether since it seems to be a source of consternation more often than it should. Is that currently being considered? I know it's been discussed off and on for a long time. I enjoy giving reps, but if it disappeared tomorrow I don't know that it would be terribly missed.

It probably wouldn't be as big of a deal if there hadn't been threads posted about said misuse. So, while, no, it's not the most horrible thing ever, it was still misused. This isn't the first time it's been misused, and probably won't be the last if or when they're re-enabled.

9006 said:
Because it's not being used as intended, which is against the rules, it's simple really.

Doesn't seem that simple to me. =/

What is the intended use? Has that ever been specified? In every thread I've read on the subject of reps, there are a multitude of reasons that people give them out. Are you not allowed to rep someone a lot just because you like them? If there are restrictions I would like to know about them.

A few people misuse the system, so it's disabled for everyone? Why not a warning instead? Or if they were warned, then why not a ban for those people, if in fact they broke the forum rules?

VanillaCreme said:
It probably wouldn't be as big of a deal if there hadn't been threads posted about said misuse. So, while, no, it's not the most horrible thing ever, it was still misused. This isn't the first time it's been misused, and probably won't be the last if or when they're re-enabled.

Thanks for responding. I guess I'll just have to live with not getting it... =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back