I worry too much about the small stuff

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niceguysfinishlast

Reaction score
No matter how i much i tell myself to not sweat the small stuff, those feelings of worry keep coming back. It's not anxiety , just general worrying too much about minor things and i really hate it. How do i make it stop? It's driving me insane! :(

Well, is there anything you can do that will stop the worry? I'm not sure what little things you are talking about, so it's hard to give an example, but if you're worried about...say being robbed (even if you live in a safe neighborhood), you could make sure all your locks are working and your windows are closed and locked, etc...

If there's some way to alleviate the worry about whatever it is, do it. If there's not, I think you just have to reason with yourself until you realize it's silly to worry about it. Find something else to do to keep you busy, that way you don't have time to think about worrying.

My advice is that you aren't going to just stop worrying. Just accept that is part of your personsality and that is ok. The point is to manage it so it does not cripple your life. In the morning or at nighr allow yourself a half hour to wirry. When that time is up just get about living your life. When the time is up then go do your dishes or your hobby or clean the house or whatever it is that you do. If worry starts creeping in then you put off the worrying to the alloted time. It's all about retraining your brain.

niceguysfinishlast said:
No matter how i much i tell myself to not sweat the small stuff, those feelings of worry keep coming back. It's not anxiety , just general worrying too much about minor things and i really hate it. How do i make it stop? It's driving me insane! :(

What kind of minor things are you worrying about, that you wouldn't classify as anxiety? Like, do you worry that you'll get back to feed the parking meter, which ruins your good time? Or worry whether the payment will get there in time, or whether your pants look good with the shirt you're wearing?

I find that being involved with something that is deeply engaging helps to reduce the space that is left in my mind for worrying. If that would work for you, then it very much depends upon what engages you. What truly interests you?

Telling yourself not to do something has never worked for me, it's never made sense to me since it's your own mind. The best thing you can do is find another perspective, if you speak to many people then you'll realize that everyone can worry about the "little things", but most don't. It really is a waste of time to worry about something you cannot change or foresee, and certainly things that don't really matter.

Sometimes said:
niceguysfinishlast said:

What kind of minor things are you worrying about, that you wouldn't classify as anxiety? Like, do you worry that you'll get back to feed the parking meter, which ruins your good time? Or worry whether the payment will get there in time, or whether your pants look good with the shirt you're wearing?

I find that being involved with something that is deeply engaging helps to reduce the space that is left in my mind for worrying. If that would work for you, then it very much depends upon what engages you. What truly interests you?

I worry about being put on the spot a lot (such as grades, but strangely never when they're good). My parents do this a lot over everything. I hate when i get asked questions on the spot because you don't really have time to answer. It's hard to explain.

Latest posts

Back