Mumble voice chat server welcomes ALL members (Lonely Haven)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vixie

Reaction score
Hello, my boyfriend and I have recently started a dedicated Mumble server for voice chat (text chat within the server is available too for those who so prefer) that caters to lonely people.

If you're wondering what Mumble is, it's similar to TeamSpeak in that it was originally developed for gaming but is also a great choice for general voice chat. The server will always be up so you don't have to wait around for someone to organize a call like with Skype and it's far better quality. It's also free & open source software and less resource intensive. Mumble is available on Linux, Windows, IOS / OSX, and Android. We have made available a detailed tutorial for installing & setting up the Mumble client.

The chat is fully moderated. Bullying or harassment of either anyone within the chat, any members of the ALL forum, or anyone else for that matter will not be tolerated.

Civil discussions and debates are not only welcome but very much encouraged. Our goal is to have a friendly, all-inclusive environment to share ideas for people who feel like they have few other opportunities to do that.

Of course there will also be lighthearted chat, joking around, and support offered to anyone who wishes it. Whatever goes! As long as it remains friendly in nature.

If you're interested, information for joining is here:
https://lonelyhaven.wordpress.com

Made a visit, and it seems to work fine!

I recommend people to install mumble and visit. Very chill.

Hmm, should maybe give it a shot when I have the chance :)

My experience in voice chats is that I usually get ignored due to my speech disability. So I avoid them like the plague.

TheRealCallie said:
HoodedMonk said:
My experience in voice chats is that I usually get ignored due to my speech disability. So I avoid them like the plague.

That's okay, you can just stay in chat with me :D

And I shall. :D

HoodedMonk said:

You certainly won't get ignored by me, nor the other people that have been coming into the chat. Mumble also allows you to send text messages if you feel uncomfortable speaking. :) There's already another person that has been doing it.

Would this chat server show where the user is from in terms of location? I was looking at the instructions page and in one of the screenshots it shows the different continents in the list.. so I just wondered.

ladyforsaken said:
Would this chat server show where the user is from in terms of location? I was looking at the instructions page and in one of the screenshots it shows the different continents in the list.. so I just wondered.
No, that's just a list of public servers and the locations of these servers. User locations are not revealed to other chat members.

DesertWolf said:
ladyforsaken said:

No, that's just a list of public servers and the locations of these servers. User locations are not revealed to other chat members.

Oh that's cool, thanks for answering.

ladyforsaken said:
DesertWolf said:
ladyforsaken said:

From what I'm seeing, IPs are visible...at least to the hosters. If your IP is near you or has a location, they could know where you are.

TheRealCallie said:
ladyforsaken said:
DesertWolf said:
ladyforsaken said:

From what I'm seeing, IPs are visible...at least to the hosters. If your IP is near you or has a location, they could know where you are.

Oh, really? Thanks for sharing that, Callie.
Yikes.... then this isn't for me. :p

TheRealCallie said:
ladyforsaken said:
DesertWolf said:
ladyforsaken said:

I forgot about this. Yes, the server admin can see IPs, but normal chat users don't have this ability. This is the same with any centralized communication system such as this forum. Your IP address is recorded by the vast majority of websites. The location data you can obtain from an IP though is very rough though - Usually just the city you're in. If this concerns you, consider using a proxy/VPN.

I understand. Either way, I'm not really much of a group chat person... let alone voice chat. Thanks for your explanations though! Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back