Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inflated self-esteem
(09-02-2015, 09:17 PM)Wayfarer Wrote: You'd be amazed at how inflated self esteem and low self esteem can actually coexist.

When I was younger I had a huge inflated self esteem.
Then certain experiences caused me to have low self esteem. Now I have both.

The inflated self esteem part keeps people away because sometimes I deem them as not good enough.
However that applies to me too, so I expect a lot from myself. Moreover it isolates me, makes me think like I'm better than other people, when that is not true.
The low self esteem part is the one that brings me down, makes me depressed, unable to talk to people at times, for various reasons.
Since I often don't keep up to my expectations about myself, I tend to get sad a lot.
It makes me feel like I'm not even a person, not even myself.

Yeah it's a vicious combo XD

I recognize alot of myself in this.
One time I heard a teacher say that having a tendency to defy authority was a sign of low self-esteem. I couldn't take him seriously after that.
I'm actually David Blane.
Cocky people annoy me. There are a lot of them. People who are pretty proud of themselves for nothing. I think there is a big difference between being quietly confident and content versus the widespread arrogance of people nowadays.
I did hear a Freud quote (think it was Freud) about how the shy guy is the biggest narcissist in the room because he's so concious of what others will think of him.
Are you interested in other people's lives as much as you think that they should be interested in yours?
When I'm giving people advice and discussing "their" lives, I tend to be quite thorough about it. But it takes a certain state of mind for that to happen.

Do you ask questions?
Asking questions is usually how I try to keep conversations going. Sometimes I just ask to be nice and seem interested even when I'm not, other times I'm looking for information which I can make use of, or just to still my curiosity.

Do you think that you don't have common topics with most people?
Other people have experienced more things than I have, and got more advanced and exciting interests than I can have.

Do you expect compliments and approval often?
Usually not I think. Being respected is important to me though.

Do you feel special?
Well, I am me after all. But I see myself as lesser than most other people in most aspects.

Does other people's opinion bother you?
It does.

Do you think that everyone looking at you all the time? That you may be in center of attention? Do you really don't won't be?
I don't think so. I do like having attention and influence though. I hate feeling like a ghost those times I'm ignored by everyone.

Very good thread. Important to remember you can fix things about yourself to be more likable.
----------------------
I suppose it's sexier to be outright evil than to just be incompetent at being good.- mintymint
1. Are you interested in other people's lives as much as you think that they should be interested in yours?
I'd rather people not talk about me at all. I am interested in hearing about them though. Unless it's the same thing constantly on a loop.

2. Do you ask questions?
I try. It's not always easy, particularly if the other person isn't giving you anything to work with or gives very stunted replies.

3. Do you think that you don't have common topics with most people?
I think you can find common ground with everyone, if you look for it. And even if you feel you don't have any shared ground, it's still fascinating to learn and grow from the experiences, knowledge, and interests of other people or just discuss and debate general topics.

4. Do you expect compliments and approval often?
I expect acknowledgement and appreciation. I don't think that's too much to ask or to give. But like many others here, I find it difficult to understand compliments or to receive them, although I will accept them so as not to be rude. I do compliment others often though. Maybe that's hypocritical. As for approval, I would only seek it or want it from my parents, since they're the ones who've got me to this point.

5. Do you feel special?
Like other people have said, who isn't special in their own way? So, yes. I've had more opportunities than most people have had or will have and thus far, I've not had to worry about certain things that would be a constant worry for many. I have had my own troubles, but I'm grateful for what I do have.

6. Does other people's opinion bother you?
Not often. But when it does, it really does. I will obsess and obsess and obsess.. But not usually with opinions of strangers. People I care about, maybe.

7. Do you think that everyone looking at you all the time? That you may be in center of attention? Do you really don't won't be?
When I was much younger I used to be paranoid about that whenever I was out, to the point where my family would tease me about it. But I'm at the point where I'm only too grateful that no one notices me, because I like being in the background. If someone does notice me, it comes as an unpleasant shock to realize I'm not invisible. Don't notice me, senpai. :\
This doesn't apply to friends or family of course. When I'm with a group of friends, I don't seek attention, but I have no problem with it.
Primum Non Nocere
Are you interested in other people's lives as much as you think that they should be interested in yours?
sometimes, if i find the person is cool to hang out with, i want em to know more about me too.
Do you ask questions?
speaking in general, yes i do.. but mostly id rather find out myself than asking somebody.
Do you think that you don't have common topics with most people?
well, there's always one or two its never none, but still make no difference i think.
Do you expect compliments and approval often?
well you absolutely cant deny that you'd feel great, but mostly they are just being dishonest, so i dont expect em.
Do you feel special?
hmm, i dont think so.. im more like a weird and inhuman kinda way :/
Does other people's opinion bother you?
yes it does, especially if they know nothing about me it will just make me sad *sobbing
Do you think that everyone looking at you all the time? That you may be in center of attention? Do you really don't won't be?
:/, most of the time yeah, even though i think they are not but my mind keep thinking that they are insulting me (wtf) :/ quite and peace is a place for me, but sometimes bar/club can be noisy but that's different.

nice thread btw, :/
Club[Sorry if my english is bad, since is not my first language]Club

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are some ways to improve self-esteem? Azariah 59 10,192 01-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Phantimos
  Mom is killing my self esteem Missingthesun 19 5,085 05-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Last Post: WallflowerGirl83
  Building confidence,higher self esteem and overcoming shyness? owmygod 19 6,030 02-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Last Post: owmygod
  10 winning quotes for those with low self-esteem NewOrder2016 5 3,273 12-18-2016, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Lacrecia
  Regular A.L.L. Anti-Loneliness/ Low-Self Esteem Drop-in Sessions...? Would love... MyTherapyisALL 5 2,592 12-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Last Post: lilE
  Survey on self-esteem related issues Oniönhead 6 2,717 11-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Last Post: sothatwasmylife
  Interesting read on self esteem LonelyInAtl 12 7,555 10-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Saddo
  Things that boost your self-esteem? TheSolitaryMan 35 11,196 08-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Irreverent Gent
  Self Esteem has gone M.I.A. LordofLosers 27 8,374 10-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Last Post: kathyjoyce
  Me vs. myself, fixing my self esteem issues, can anyone help? Alamet 2 2,201 07-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Alamet