What does 'good looking' mean ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this recently.
What exactly are 'good looks' ?
It's not just a pretty face is it ?
There has to be more. I mean when I see a woman I find attractive, I am not just looking at her face. Everything comes into it, figure, clothes, body language, facial expressions, personality etc.

I see plenty of people, men and women who look unattractive and drab and most of the time it's a mixture of their clothes and body language.

Do we (meaning the people who think they are ugly) let ourselves down because we simply don't dress well ?

What do people think ?

It's very rare that I look at someone and say they are good looking,to me someone has to have a certain aura about them that I can't really describe,they walk in to a room and you are just captivated by them and can't take your eyes off of them.

I think we create our own standards for good-looking. What's good-looking for some might not be for someone else, eh. Like the old proverb I'm sure we've all heard, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Idol Minos said:
I think we create our own standards for good-looking. What's good-looking for some might not be for someone else, eh. Like the old proverb I'm sure we've all heard, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This.

I could say what I feel it means, but it likely won't be the same as the next person because we all have our own preferences.

fresia

I think it's safe to say that when someone says that you're 'good looking', they're referring to your physical looks.

If someone says that 'you look good' then it's referring to the way you dress and/or present yourself.

If unsure just ask, but of course not in a desperate/serious kinda way, make a joke of it or something.

I think you're over-thinking it, this tends to create problems that aren't there. If you're lucky enough to receive this compliment you should just take it :)

9006 said:
I think it's safe to say that when someone says that you're 'good looking', they're referring to your physical looks.

If someone says that 'you look good' then it's referring to the way you dress and/or present yourself.

If unsure just ask, but of course not in a desperate/serious kinda way, make a joke of it or something.

I think you're over-thinking it, this tends to create problems that aren't there. If you're lucky enough to receive this compliment you should just take it :)

What about ugly then ?
Why are some people considered ugly looking ?
Is it their face or a mixture of everything ?

Idol Minos said:

So these slobs have no standards ?
They don't care enough ?

Id like to add to what everyone has said. Sometimes, our perception of someone's attractiveness can change. I find that at times, someone I had initially not found attractive, becomes good looking to me due to them having a great personality or being a good person. I dont know how to explain it but its like a veil is lifted and I can suddenly see the little nuances of attractiveness that weren't there before.

Triple Bogey said:
What about ugly then ?

I think when people use the word ugly to describe another human being they are either being intentionally mean (this has nothing with the person's looks per say) or they are misusing the word (they mean to say unattractive not ugly)

To me, unattractive means the person has potential to look better. Perhaps with different clothes or hairstyle. As for the word ugly, I think it refers to something thats truly horrid....which as far as I am concerned doesnt apply to living things. Id say someone was ugly becaue they were cruel but thats it.

A wrench in one hand, and a pizza in the other. That's good looking to me.

Triple Bogey said:
What about ugly then ?

People use Ugly slightly different, it's more of a general term and can be adapted to different things, with 'good looking' it's about how it's said. For example you can say "That T-Shirt is ugly" which can either mean that it doesn't suite you or that it doesn't look good, but you don't say "That T-Shirt is good looking".

I'm just thinking generally here, I think for what is pretty standard for most people that you're looking a bit too much into it.

VanillaCreme said:

Not so sure about the wrench, but the pizza sounds nice, lol.

Veruca said:
Id like to add to what everyone has said. Sometimes, our perception of someone's attractiveness can change. I find that at times, someone I had initially not found attractive, becomes good looking to me due to them having a great personality or being a good person. I dont know how to explain it but its like a veil is lifted and I can suddenly see the little nuances of attractiveness that weren't there before.

Triple Bogey said:
What about ugly then ?

I think when people use the word ugly to describe another human being they are either being intentionally mean (this has nothing with the person's looks per say) or they are misusing the word (they mean to say unattractive not ugly)

To me, unattractive means the person has potential to look better. Perhaps with different clothes or hairstyle. As for the word ugly, I think it refers to something thats truly horrid....which as far as I am concerned doesnt apply to living things. Id say someone was ugly becaue they were cruel but thats it.

Some really interesting points !

+1

9006 said:
Triple Bogey said:
What about ugly then ?

People use Ugly slightly different, it's more of a general term and can be adapted to different things, with 'good looking' it's about how it's said. For example you can say "That T-Shirt is ugly" which can either mean that it doesn't suite you or that it doesn't look good, but you don't say "That T-Shirt is good looking".

I'm just thinking generally here, I think for what is pretty standard for most people that you're looking a bit too much into it.

VanillaCreme said:

Not so sure about the wrench, but the pizza sounds nice, lol.

I'm not looking too much into anything, just asking what other people think.

I came across this a few months back: http://nedhardy.com/2014/05/30/average-human-face-looks-like-every-country/

There are common proportional characteristics to each face regardless of the different ethnic backgrounds, they all look fairly attractive. It's been suggested that this is due to a close-to mean facial structure being an indicator of genetic health.

Sorry for such a depressing post but it sounded like you wanted a 'scientific' type explanation.

9006 said:

a lass at work last week said she couldn't believe I hadn't had more girlfriends ! - which was a nice compliment !

Triple Bogey said:
a lass at work last week said she couldn't believe I hadn't had more girlfriends ! - which was a nice compliment !

To me that's not just a compliment on looks, because you work with her and she probably notices you.

9006 said:
Triple Bogey said:

To me that's not just a compliment on looks, because you work with her and she probably notices you.

I was thinking the same. Don't know about other females, but I've said that before to guys I thought were attractive.

VanillaCreme said:
9006 said:
Triple Bogey said:

I was thinking the same. Don't know about other females, but I've said that before to guys I thought were attractive.

She's half my age. We get on though. She said I was 'lovely' a few weeks ago.

To me, good-looking mostly means "in shape". Though personally, I certainly have been attracted to women with a few extra pounds.

I would say that it has most to do with being in your best possible shape, having a pleasant disposition and expression, and good body language. Even if you don't think you're good-looking, I think it helps give you an extra boost to at least be trying to look your best. People might notice your effort, and think more positively of you. because of it.

VanillaCreme said:

Lol! I would also add - a sponge and dish soap in hand and a smile that says "Here, let me wash those dishes for you. You go sit down and take a break." :) That's hot.

I guess "good-looking" means different things to different people, it all depends on what your personal preferences are. And, to be candid, I judge men and women differently too.

-Teresa

Good looking to me is the weathered face of life, the struggles that were fought. The determination to keep going despite the obstacles.

For me it's about the way she carries herself. I worked with someone that I thought was absolutely gorgeous. Her smile, rosy cheeks the works. But she was most certaily not a bikini model. Slightly plump for want of a better word.

The thing is she behaved like a lady. She treated everyone with respect, was playful when it was allowed and did not take herself too seriously.

The point is it's the whole package that makes someone good looking. If you are attracted to someone, you won't even notice the little physical imperfections.

Latest posts

Back