skype too resource heavy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
Not sure this is the right place to post this. As the title says, skype is too resource heavy for my laptop. Does any of you know if there's something like a lightweight skype version or some alternative?

Try an older version? I use 6.20.0.104 and it hardly uses resources. You can go back to a certain amount of versions before you get told you can't use them.

I think the only thing this software is good at is creating problems and being heavy on system resources... and for no reason, as far as I'm concerned. I had so many problems with this Software; bad connections, dropping in mid conversations, huge CPU usage from video chat as it struggles to encode and decode - and all for bad quality, HUGE memory usage that seems to accumulate every minute for no reason, and the bugs are horrific, there's a bunch of new bugs each update. I remember one bug that just blitzed my CPU for about 10 minutes after each startup. It wouldn't be as bad if my laptop was 10 years old, but it was 2 at the time, two years old; pretty modern with decent specs.

You look at the "Skype Community Forum" and see so many problems with very little fixes, every topic has one problem after another with half of the titles saying "[Solved]" when clearly it isn't. I used to be a member of this forum, you have a bunch of users dodging specific versions or trying to downgrade to earlier versions that worked for them, what kind of software is this?

The problem is a matter of dependencies, Skype uses so many features and functions that are integrated into the OS, couple that with bad coding and you get an unstable peace of honeysuckle like Skype, now Windows 10 is out I guarantee there are a billion and one problems since there's change with every OS, and with change and dependencies comes problems. Don't get me wrong I know what it's like to have to adapt software to change, but Skype is on a different level because of the way it's developed. And they have to practically recode entire functions and modules just to get it working again, which, of course creates yet more problems with the already-working versions.

MSN was far superior software, 90% of the functions of Skype with far more stability, it didn't use nearly as much resources and it was far smaller in size. Not to mention more pleasing and easier to use - you can't even change your ******* FONT in Skype chat, what's that all about? Seriously? Such a basic function like that neglected, and for the pathetic size of it they couldn't squeeze that in?

I stopped using Skype a long time ago because I truly hate the software, I used a program called Trillian that uses other chat protocols form other chat software (Skype included), but unfortunately [Skype] in their ever increasing efforts to push their own honeysuckle software they decommissioned something called 'SkypeKit'. SkypeKit was something Trillian (And likely other AIO chat softwares) used to be able to use the chat protocol which of course meant that it no longer supported Skype. Now there was a few patched version of this which still allowed it to be used but I think Skype put pressure on Trillian to disable it's Skype feature. There's other multi-platform softwares too, like Pigeon, though I've never used that.

But here's another good point: The Trillian software used the Skype protocol (As well as many other social media formats), simplified everything, and everything WORKED, AND was a small percentage of the size. This proves it's the Skype software that's just so badly coded. The only reason I imagine so many people use this bad software is because:

1. It (somehow) runs better on tablets and phones
  2. They completely dominated the market pushing this honeysuckle
  3. They make it look so user friendly and easy to use

Well, that's my rant over, thanks for reading :)

I doubt Microsoft cares how many resources anything uses... Just look at how poorly Vista ran. But there's a few other chat programs you could use to see if you like it better. Ventrilo. Teamspeak. Mumble. Razer Comms. Others I can't remember at the moment.

VanillaCreme said:
I doubt Microsoft cares how many resources anything uses... Just look at how poorly Vista ran. But there's a few other chat programs you could use to see if you like it better. Ventrilo. Teamspeak. Mumble. Razer Comms. Others I can't remember at the moment.

Well I believe that Vista was a rushed product, kinda like the development of Windows ME. Also it was poorly organised between departments and they created a lot of apprenticeships with the Longhorn project (Ultimately Vista), hence why Windows 7 was released so soon after. Vista was kind of a lost cause, memory leaks was the worst thing I encountered in Vista, honeysuckle would just eat up memory constantly.

Things were better when they were simpler:

n2lcwm.jpg

lol.

9006 said:
Things were better when they were simpler:

That's usually the case. Skype was better before Microsoft put their greasy hands all over it.

VanillaCreme said:
That's usually the case. Skype was better before Microsoft put their greasy hands all over it.

I only used it because I was forced to use it due to them discontinuing MSN, everything was great before that MISTAKE. After that and my horrific experiences with Skype I kinda simply stopped using it. Kinda wish a good, popular chat app would take its place.

VanillaCreme said:

That's what I've been telling everyone here (irl) since then! Sigh!

For now I solved the issue by downgrading. Yes I know, it's not a real solution but well, it works. So, fine by me.

Latest posts

Back