Work Your Way Around the World!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DreamingOfValdez

[size=medium]
I'm 20 years old, currently living in southern california. Most of my friends were born here, have never lived anywhere else, and have no plans to leave. They will develop a career here, start their famlies here, grow old here, and never know anywhere but here. How can such a thing satisfy the soul? How can you know your place in the world, if you've never seen it?
I'm having a hard time finding someone to talk to about these things. So i'll put it in writing, and hope that people who care and can relate will find this. I'm looking for a change. After a massive re-evaluation of things, I've come to the conclusion that there has to be more. Life doesn't ever have to feel boring and pointless. There are no rules saying we have to work a job we hate, in order to live the life we dream of.
I've accepted that I will never be rich, and material things aren't what makes me happy. Nevertheless, there are things that I want to do, that require a lot of money. Managing to save up enough cash for a vacation is a seldom experience that always seems to end way too soon. I get home, my savings are gone, and it's back to the tedious day job and boring routine. If I don't take control and do something, my life is going to float by with no meaning. I WANT ADVENTURE!
After careful research, I've found a website that has a huge list different links (with detailed descriptions) that offer apprenticeships, career training, seasonal/year-round jobs, volunteer work, and internships all over the world. Each is a life changing opportunity, most with no experience required. A lot of these companies will pay for all of your expenses, provide housing, and provide stipend. Some of them even award scholarships or grants if you stay for the entire time you committed to them (usually 6 months-1 year).
Good luck everyone. Let me know what you think. I've posted all the links at the bottom of this page. Here are some inspiring things said by some great thinkers of our past.

Remember, being an individual is harder than blending in.

When work has a meaning to the world, it will give meaning to your life.

Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.
-Aldous Huxley

The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. The trite subjects of human efforts, possessions, outward success, luxury have always seemed to me contemptible.
-Albert Einstein

All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind.
-Aristotle

It is no profit to have learned well, if you neglect to do well.
-Publilius Syrus

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is not a barking dog, to be tethered on a ten-foot chain.
-Adlai E. Stevenson Jr. (1900 - 1965), speech at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, October 8, 1952

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.
-Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)

Jobs in the Great Outdoors
U.S. Adventure Jobs
Adventure Jobs Worldwide
Camps, Ranches, and Resort Jobs
Winter Ski Resort Jobs
The Environment-Nature Lover Jobs
Sustainable Living & Farming Work
Artistic & Learning Pursuits
Heartfelt/Meaningful Work
Work, Volunteer, or Intern Abroad

Latest posts