new school

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dn560

Reaction score
i dropped out of university and now im in a new school doing a new course. i swear i know absolutely nothing about this course. my previous degree was about chemistry and biochemistry and now im doing an industry course. i have no idea wtf is going on and it seems like im the only person whose lost and struggling in this class. the work content is twice of what i had in university and i just feel like im going to fail this. i feel like im out of my element, im not comfortable with anything about this course. the teachers dont give a honeysuckle and well being the weirdo that i am im not gonna beg osmeone for help so im thinking about dropping this. i read the stuff and i just dont understand this. guys in my class are good at this course, they answer questions and can explain honeysuckle for a powerpoint presentation. when its my turn i might embarass myself as usual so idk what to do. im just so depressed atm idk if its me or if its too much but i cant continue like this else im gonna fail.

What's an industry course? Is this the course of study you're interested in? If so, go today and ask the teacher or a guidance counselor for help. If it's a difficult course, I'd be willing to bet there are other students struggling too that also don't want to speak up for fear of looking stupid. After earning my graduate degree, I've learned there is no such thing as a stupid question in college and do not drop out without asking for help first!

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
What's an industry course? Is this the course of study you're interested in? If so, go today and ask the teacher or a guidance counselor for help. If it's a difficult course, I'd be willing to bet there are other students struggling too that also don't want to speak up for fear of looking stupid. After earning my graduate degree, I've learned there is no such thing as a stupid question in college and do not drop out without asking for help first!

-Teresa

industry course as in those course you do to get jobs in the gas sector. i was not interested in it im just doing it because i heard about it and was told it pays alot. well the teachers dont seem to give a **** so idk who to ask cuz most people in the class treat me as if im invisible.

LiLeila said:
So why you are in this school if this is not your interest?

im doing it because this field of work has alot of money involved. my real interests are in biochem and chem.

Well if you're determined to make this work, I'd suggest you try to research and read up about this course with your free time, or seek help from others in the field you might know of.. or online. I usually do my own research and reading online when I was studying and feeling lost or behind with the lessons.

dn560, first of all let me congratulate you on having the courage to do a course that's completely out of your comfort zone. I've been there myself, and I know too well how challenging it can be, especially when there's no support.

I felt so stupid and clueless so many times that I started to wonder if I had any intelligence in me in the first place. But it can be done! Just don't give up. Try to talk to your lecturers one on one. A lot of the times, lecturers and teachers seem uninterested because they're under-appreciated. So they lose their spark and motivation after awhile. Can't say for sure that yours are like this, but its worth a shot.

Keep trying...keep pushing. If you fail, its ok. Just re-do it. And don't shy away from asking for help. Its not begging, and what are these people going to do with all that knowledge anyway, if its not meant to be shared right? And it they aren't generous, then at least you know you've tried.

What you're experiencing is very normal but with time, as you pick things up, it will become easier.

You can do it!

dn560 said:
i was not interested in it im just doing it because i heard about it and was told it pays alot.
dn560 said:
im doing it because this field of work has alot of money involved.
From my experience, I think you're completely pursuing the wrong things.
Money is important due to how this society works, but it's not ever going to make you happy, nor will it ever make you happy with a terrible job.

Many people seem to make that horrible mistake and regret it much later after they are in that job and hate going to work every day, just to make money that they often can't spend because they're too busy hating their job or even their entire life, or they spend it recklessly to fill the holes in their life, such as spending much of it on alcohol or some other vice.

dn560 said:
my real interests are in biochem and chem.
Why are you not pursuing this then? It completely puzzles me.
Most people your age have absolutely no clue what they even want to do or what their interests are. They go through course after course, switching from one to another, or often pick the 'good money' options, only because they just don't have any idea what is 'right' for them.

You have that and yet you're throwing it away for 'money'?

First, I'm rather very sure there are plenty of very well-paying jobs in chemistry.

Second, doing what you like to do is so much more important than getting a lot of money. You'll not only feel it is easier, but going to that job everyday probably won't make you hate yourself, because you're doing what you like. And the more interested you are the more likely that it comes easier to you, which means it is more likely you'll get a better paying job.

Third, being in a field you're interested in, with other people interested, gives you a better sense of yourself and can also help you to make some friends. Sharing the same interests gives you a commonality that makes it easier to associate with those people.

My suggestion: I'm not sure what you were studying in university before you left, but I suggest you go back and get into a chem program or find an alternative way to pursue the chem-field. There is no point in pursuing this field that you have no interests in pursuing just to make money. If anything that will just lead you to being more miserable than you already are, even if you make it through this rough patch now.

Latest posts

Back