Great answers

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_also_lonely

Reaction score
I have been in a lot of interviews, and failed almost all of them. I don't know why. If they ask me, "What do you want to achieve in life?"
And if I say, "I want to help the poor people get proper food and housing and their kids, good education." , I will be made fun of, by the interviewer. I don't know the reason. And when some so-professional type of person enters, and answers something (I don't know what, but mostly, about what she/he wants to achieve for herself/himself), the interviewer will be so impressed. Why?

How do they give great answers? Like if I am asked some simple question, I will give an answer. But other people give so great answers and people are so much impressed. How do they do that? Why cant I do that?

Most people who go to interviews already more or less know what to say beforehand. And if they don't, they know which answer may impress the employer more.
And unfortunately what you answered is most of the time made fun of as an answer. :/

How do they do that? I don't know.. hmm.. I'd try to think about which answer the employer would want to hear.
Sometimes it's also the "atmosphere" people give off that matters.

Note: all of the above is valid, provided that you answer the more technical questions related to the job correctly.

If I were you, i too would have answered something similar to what you said.
Maybe you can try to rephrase your answer in some other way ....Like "To give my best for the welfare of the company and society"
Play as per the situation demands, Goodluck!

I think the answer you gave is not appropriate for most jobs unless you find yourself in the fields of foreign aid or community work perhaps. We'd have to know what kind of employers you approached first.

But the way I see it, it makes you seem a rather idealistic (good case) or completely naive person not tied to reality (worst case). Regardless, these aren't traits most companies would look for in their future employees. They want to hear what you have planned for yourself. Realistic goals, preferably related to the position you're applying for.

Be specific. Think about it from the interviewer's point of view.

Rodent said:
I think the answer you gave is not appropriate for most jobs unless you find yourself in the fields of foreign aid or community work perhaps. We'd have to know what kind of employers you approached first.

But the way I see it, it makes you seem a rather idealistic (good case) or completely naive person not tied to reality (worst case). Regardless, these aren't traits most companies would look for in their future employees. They want to hear what you have planned for yourself. Realistic goals, preferably related to the position you're applying for.

This.
"What do you want to achieve" isn't meant as some life awakening type of thing when asked at a job interview. They more want to know your career ambitions. They want to know if you will be a good fit for the company and your answer to that question will tell them a lot about whether or not you would fit in and/or work hard.

I dont understand what you all want to say. How do they know beforehand? I dont know what you mean when you say
, "Be specific". They can give great answers to the simplest questions. Why cant I do that?

And these are not job interviews.

By 'be specific', I meant relate it to whatever reason or purpose you are at the interview for. If it was a job interview that would mean things like how you can be of benefit to them and your own goals.
Have a plan about what it is you want to get out of the interview, don't be generic, show them that it is something that is important to you.

TheRealCallie said:
It's unlikely to be a Miss America or whatever pageant, so "helping the poor" really isn't going to get your anywhere unless it's an interview for missionary work.

Just considering if it's one of these half-personal "What are gonna do once you get out of this hellhole" yearbook questionaires. Carry on...

TheRealCallie said:
It's unlikely to be a Miss America or whatever pageant.

It could be. I hope it is. That would be add interesting twist to this.

It did puzzle me but I was trying not to address it. But what other situation in your life do you go through 'a lot of interviews' apart from jobs? Do you mean college interviews, M?

Aisha said:
TheRealCallie said:
It's unlikely to be a Miss America or whatever pageant.

It could be. I hope it is. That would be add interesting twist to this.

It did puzzle me but I was trying not to address it. But what other situation in your life do you go through 'a lot of interviews' apart from jobs? Do you mean college interviews, M?

Yes, for being a part of anything, including councils, or management committees for any kind of functions or events, and exams for subjects like Communication Skills.

For those kind of 'interviews', it's not really so much what you say, it's more about how you say it.
Want to help the poor and feed the hungry? Well, sure, but tons of people want to do that. The question is 'How?'.
Provide them with something they've never heard before. Show them that you're not just someone who wishes for things, but someone with real and practical ideas. Someone who can 'put their foot forward'. And try to say it, to the best of your abilities, with as much confidence as possible.

That's how you give 'great answers' to interviewers. Give ideas, not thoughts. And do it with a smile.

Though I will point out that the people in such positions to be interviewing are also often superficial or just plain ignorant. No one should 'laugh' at wanting to help the poor or feed the hungry. So if you want to be successful with those kind of folk you need to tailor your answers to them. Provide them an answer that is just as superficial as they are. Think of the way politicians say things. Politicians are as superficial as it gets. The real trick is to correctly identify people and know which answers to give. Sometimes that is hard.

Despicable Me said:
For those kind of 'interviews', it's not really so much what you say, it's more about how you say it.
Want to help the poor and feed the hungry? Well, sure, but tons of people want to do that. The question is 'How?'.
Provide them with something they've never heard before. Show them that you're not just someone who wishes for things, but someone with real and practical ideas. Someone who can 'put their foot forward'. And try to say it, to the best of your abilities, with as much confidence as possible.

That's how you give 'great answers' to interviewers. Give ideas, not thoughts. And do it with a smile.

Though I will point out that the people in such positions to be interviewing are also often superficial or just plain ignorant. No one should 'laugh' at wanting to help the poor or feed the hungry. So if you want to be successful with those kind of folk you need to tailor your answers to them. Provide them an answer that is just as superficial as they are. Think of the way politicians say things. Politicians are as superficial as it gets. The real trick is to correctly identify people and know which answers to give. Sometimes that is hard.

How to have ideas?
Some people get so many creative ideas. How?
How to do what you are saying?

M_also_lonely said:
Despicable Me said:

How to have ideas?

I am with DM (and a lot of the other members here). It all depends on what you want. Do you want people to hear your genuine goals and ideas? Or do you want to just get in?

If its the former, you've got to figure out how you're going to give them what they're looking for. How to figure it out? Think about the role description, what your duties might be, what might benefit this organization etc. Then list down ideas that are along those. The internet has lots of info. Talking to people who are in these positions may also help. Whether or not you actually carry out those ideas is immaterial. All that matters is that the interviewer knows that if they take you in, they're going to have someone who is going to do the work/pull their weight.

I also think its important to make yourself seem agreeable because one of the things interviewers dislike are idealistic notions. They deal with challenges all the time, so they need people who are going to be objective, persevering and motivated. Just keep your ideas realistic.

First thing, research the organization. Say, its a rotary club that does fundraisers for charity. Then, at the interview, you might want to highlight how you can contribute to fundraisers...marketing? spreading awareness? designing posters etc? ideas to draw people in? getting sponsorship? You'd have to tailor your answers to whatever it is the org is looking for. Research is key.

Now, if all you want is to get in, then the harsh reality is that you need to figure out what the interviewer is looking for. If the interviewer seems to come off as authoritative, then I'd highlight how I could be a teamplayer, how I'd obey instructions, work towards achieving the company's goals etc. If the interviewer is more interested in how I can manage a team, then I'd highlight my leadership skills...how I'd motivate the team...how I'd give them a little, so they'd give more to the company etc. If the interviewer is asking a lot of pointed questions, I'd think they were possible stress testing, so I'd try to remain as calm as possible by focusing on my breathing and taking time to respond.

Ultimately, its not about us, its about what they want. I hope this has been helpful. Good luck!

If anyone made fun of you for giving an answer like that, even if it is a little off topic for the job, they need a swift kick in the head, and by that I mean their ass since that is where their brain is at.

It's best to keep your answers job related, some will ask more personal type questions to get a feel for what type of person you are. You want to be honest and sell yourself but not oversell. Those people who give the "good" well scripted answers are usually feeding the cow. Some want a person like that, others don't, you won't always know.

Try your local employment office or job assistance programs, they can usually help you with interviews and run you through how to answer potential employer questions.

M_also_lonely said:
How to have ideas?
That is a difficult question to answer. So let me answer it with another question of something I know you're familiar with.
How does someone actually solve a Rubik's Cube quickly and not just think they are solving it quickly?
Or here's another:
How does someone actually ask a girl out and not just think about asking one out?

It requires taking your knowledge of a subject and putting that into something that can actually be practiced or done. The more knowledge and confidence you lack on a subject the harder it is to create a meaningful idea.

You're already good at coming up with ideas, M. You just need to trust yourself more.
You'll get there eventually. Sometimes it just takes a lot of practice, too. The experience of finding out what not-to-do often helps to realize what to do.

It's a bit unprofessional of them to make fun the way they did, but generally if they ask "What do you want to achieve in life" you should at least give answers based on the field of work you're applying for, not personal or eventual goals.

Latest posts

Back