wrong materials on purpose

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
(sorry about the thread title.. couldn't think of a fitting one)

I never ask anyone for help, even when I'm in a very bad situation. I don't know why, maybe I just don't trust people.

Anyways, let's keep it on topic. For once, I had decided I actually needed a little bit of help with some university studies.. and so I asked the closest person to a friend I have (who studies the same subjects).

He replied with an email.. attaching everything that I had asked for, and more, saying that's what friends are for. I didn't check until a week ago, more or less, when I found out he had removed some parts so that what he sent me was actually completely useless and consisted of material I already had, mixed in with some unrelated stuff.
And no, it wasn't sent that way by mistake, since it was organized in such a way that I didn't notice at first glance etc.. (I won't go about it in detail)

Now, I admit I shouldn't ask other people to take care of my responsibilities, since I should probably have done that work on my own in the first place.
However, what bothers me is that he actually sent me bad material, while claiming to be my friend, instead of actually saying he couldn't help me, or didn't want to.

If someone asked you for this kind of help, what would you do?
- Help him, since it's the first time he asked
- Not help him, and telling the truth to him
- Not help him, but making it seem like you did
- ?

And if you have any idea why he could have behaved that way, please write it below. (I'll add that at the moment it'd be difficult for me to contact him and anyways I have no want for unnecessary drama)

Could be you asked the wrong person. Myself, I'd be the last person anyone would or should ask for help with school work. If someone did I'd try to help but I would probably end up giving them wrong information.

Are you sure he did it on purpose? I mean, he could have simply thought you didn't have any of what he sent or even might have sent the wrong files. I wouldn't jump to conclusions without talking to him about it. Maybe asking him if he has anything else. It could have been an innocent mistake, regardless of how well it was organized.

I doubt it was a honest mistake, but I guess I'll talk with him anyways.

Sci-Fi said:
Could be you asked the wrong person. Myself, I'd be the last person anyone would or should ask for help with school work. If someone did I'd try to help but I would probably end up giving them wrong information.

You mean without wanting to, or deliberately? If you mean the second case, would you please explain what could be the possible reasons for that?

Wayfarer said:
Sci-Fi said:
You mean without wanting to, or deliberately? If you mean the second case, would you please explain what could be the possible reasons for that?

I'm pretty sure he means accidentally, way. I think your friend may have just made an honest mistake too, as callie said. Were you very specific? Maybe he misunderstood. Maybe he gave you what he had. Don't immediately presume the worst of him, especially if you consider him a friend. Presumptions and assumptions about people will always lead to misunderstandings. I hope you do ask him and things turn out alright. =)

If you're both studying the same thing, then it probably was on purpose. If your friend is wanting to graduate or pass, then they probably wouldn't just hand off their best material. They'd want to use it for themselves, which I can't exactly blame them for, but at the same time, if it were me in their shoes, I would have just said that I didn't think I could help with that. I'd rather take myself out of a position like that than to pussyfoot around, editing things just so the other person didn't get my upper hand. I've had school work stolen (for lack of better word) before, and even though it was just an art thing, I still scratched my head at it. Obviously you didn't steal any information they willingly gave you, but still... If I were you, I wouldn't expect anyone to just hand over anything more than class notes, especially if they're in the same class.

Perhaps you can get someone who's already passed or graduated the class to help with things next time.

Wayfarer said:
I doubt it was a honest mistake, but I guess I'll talk with him anyways.

Sci-Fi said:

Yeah like Aisha said. They may have done it not knowing, it may just be their actual work and not their best subject or really understood the work.

Possibility of being honest mistake is high but can't be sure since he studies same subject. Maybe he doesn't have real grasp on subject matter. It's better to talk about it with him, it may clear lots of things. I too have sent some wrong notes few times cause of absent mindedness sometimes but sending whole thing wrong that doesn't good at all.

I don't understand why it matters if they are taking the same subject or not. It's not a competition, it's a class. As long as you aren't turning in something identical or with similar wording, there's no harm in helping out a fellow classmate.....Especially if you are friends, because after all, it's what friends do.

Personally, I would give him the benefit of the doubt, as there doesn't seem to be any reason at all for malicious intent.

TheRealCallie said:
Personally, I would give him the benefit of the doubt, as there doesn't seem to be any reason at all for malicious intent.

Yeah, no, I'm not saying he did it for sure. I don't know why he sent over what he did. He may have felt as though what he sent over was helpful to him, so he gave it to someone else. But, still, I honestly wouldn't expect anyone (not just him) to give out their best material. But maybe he really did think it was helpful.

If it bothers you enough, perhaps ask. Or maybe ask if he has anymore notes.

Perhaps he removed attachments thinking it wasn't relevant, I understand how he's studying the same subject an all, but it could have been a misunderstanding.

On the other end of the spectrum maybe wanted to help you, but not help you to do better than him.

I don't know this person so it's impossible to say for sure, you could try mailing him asking for the missing parts.

Well let me just add some parts as to end this thread.

The attachment was only one, but it contained many files. Of these files, their content I mean, parts were missing.

In any case he isn't answering to emails and I probably won't see him again anyways, so I don't care anymore. Just wondering, because it just seems strange to me, that's all.

THE END
XD

Latest posts

Back