Overseas travel

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paraiyar

Have many of you tried travelling overseas on your own? I only ask because I am right now and it is starting to boost my confidence. Maybe something to consider if you have low self-esteem.

I did travel some times overseas alone and, now that you make me think of it, you are right. It's a pity lately I haven't had to chance to travel at all. Maybe next summer I should plan a short holiday somewhere :)

Paraiyar said:
Have many of you tried travelling overseas on your own? I only ask because I am right now and it is starting to boost my confidence. Maybe something to consider if you have low self-esteem.

I have traveled on my own, but I met up with people in my destinations. So I don't know if that counts as solo traveling.

I did have a lot of anxiety when taking the plane and doing transits all on my own. I always picture them trying to pick an issue with me for something and then detain me somewhere and torture me. I ... know my imagination runs a bit wild sometimes.

Other than that, it does take quite a bit of courage/confidence to travel on your own. Often times I get anxious just wanting to go to shops alone. Especially if there was a language barrier.

Yes I have and do travel alone often. But never on holiday. I think that would feel very different to going for other purposes. Some day I will, I hope. But I do think that it would be a good way to boost self-esteem and confidence, since you'd have to confront those issues by having to deal with people one-on-one and with any problems that may arise by yourself.

ladyforsaken said:
I did have a lot of anxiety when taking the plane and doing transits all on my own. I always picture them trying to pick an issue with me for something and then detain me somewhere and torture me. I ... know my imagination runs a bit wild sometimes.

Lol LadyF.. mhm. Depends where it is, but it's not just you. :p

Overseas, I don't think I could ever do that. But traveling from state to state on my own, I think I would if I could.

I have been abroad alone a couple of times back when I was in my twenties. I had mixed feelings about it. On one hand it could get lonely. On the other hand I could poke around secondhand bookshops to my heart's content, as there was no one saying 'Can we go now?' to me every few minutes.

ladyforsaken said:
Paraiyar said:

I have traveled on my own, but I met up with people in my destinations. So I don't know if that counts as solo traveling.

Other than that, it does take quite a bit of courage/confidence to travel on your own. Often times I get anxious just wanting to go to shops alone. Especially if there was a language barrier.

Oh I started out with cousins in London but have been alone since I hit the mainland. I might be meeting up with someone I know now that I'm here in Vienna.

Oh and I get the same anxiety about customs and the people who check train tickets. Pretty normal I think.

I know somebody that used to travel all over the world. I won't go into details but the amount of memories and people that person has made/met over the years says something for it.

Plus you'd get to explore fascinating places and see things in the flesh that you might have only seen in pictures.

I say go for it, I'd do exactly the same myself if I wasn't so mentally unwell.

I went to the UK as a student in my 20s and stayed 2 years. I didn't know a single soul before I got there. My life wouldn't be what it is today without that adventure and I would do it all again if I could. In fact, I'm sure I'll be on more similar adventures in the future. Good luck and have fun! :)

-Teresa

Latest posts

Back