Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who else self medicates to escape depression?
And what is your medication of choice? Drugs? Alcohol?
Drugs and alcohol are not self medicating, it's self destruction. It's choosing to live in a fantasy world of delusion. It's an escape mechanism and in the end, doesn't do a damn thing help you. Just because you are drunk or high doesn't mean your problems go away.
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 

[Image: Quotefancy-19173-3840x2160.jpg?resize=1165%2C655&ssl=1]
(09-28-2015, 07:35 PM)TheRealCallie Wrote: Drugs and alcohol are not self medicating, it's self destruction. It's choosing to live in a fantasy world of delusion. It's an escape mechanism and in the end, doesn't do a damn thing help you. Just because you are drunk or high doesn't mean your problems go away.

Indeed. Once you stop 'self-medicating' those artificial barriers that you've built up come crashing down and your problems seem bigger than ever...
Really? Drugs and Alcohol for medication? I haven't heard that thing until now.

My self-medication is time, my alone time. No disturbance, nothing.
[Image: determination.jpg]
(09-28-2015, 11:12 PM)PenDragon Wrote: Really? Drugs and Alcohol for medication? I haven't heard that thing until now.

Where you been? People have been self medicating for donkeys years! And you've only just heard of it?
What do you do in your alone time pen? I like the beach, nature, cooking, I made soda bread yesterday Wink I like music too and reading. Horses Big Grin I love horses.
"Self Medicating" will only cause harm in the long run. Do you have any other interests? Reading, walking, hiking, cooking...etc..?

If you are "self medicating", you should reach out to a professional, if you haven't already.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss
(09-28-2015, 11:20 PM)Devon Wrote:
(09-28-2015, 11:12 PM)PenDragon Wrote: Really? Drugs and Alcohol for medication? I haven't heard that thing until now.

Where you been? People have been self medicating for donkeys years! And you've only just heard of it?
What do you do in your alone time pen? I like the beach, nature, cooking, I made soda bread yesterday Wink I like music too and reading. Horses Big Grin I love horses.

Detachment from everything, no responsibility, no worries. Void of all thoughts, well it starts with looking out from windows then focusing my gaze on something far, very far until it gets blurry then sudden stop from chain of thought. It's quite peaceful then afterwards a glass of water. Smile
[Image: determination.jpg]
I used to self-medicate with food. Fatty food, sugary food, you name it. It's probably why I was overweight. I turned my attention to other things and was able to shed the excess weight.
I think we all have our go-to activities for when we're feeling sad or anxious. Maybe it's obsessively checking a smartphone, maybe it's eating cakes and ice cream, maybe it's using drugs or maybe it's cleaning the house top to bottom at 3am.
My self-medications are physical activities like walking and playing music on my violin and I wouldn't be surprised if those have the same physical effect as an anti-depressant medication. I've solved many a personal problem and cleared out the cobwebs by chugging along on long, long walks through the neighborhood or parks. Plus it's a great way to meet neighbors Smile

-Teresa
En la boca cerrada no entran moscas.
food definitely, and internet addiction - oh my, I thought that was all over, here it is again
“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.”

“I'm fine. Well, I'm not fine - I'm here."
"Is there something wrong with that?"
"Absolutely.”

<a href=
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D2d4joqp8cA/Tq...29alt2.png </a>
I'm sort of naturally self-destructive. I've made my peace with that.
Kinda goes with the territory of Black Metal, heh....

That and, I honestly like to explore altered states as a means to learn more about myself. I don't really smoke weed, because of the whole job aspect. If I do it's on a rare occasion. Aaannddd I don't really delve too much into psychedelics anymore either, due to a shortage on having them and getting them again, and proper people to talk to about them.... And I'm toning down my drinking, because it's costing me too damn much, and I get way more done with I'm sober anyhow....

Sssoo, I've progressed back to my originals: Music, food, and reading/writing/drawing.
♆☾♄♆

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Work used to be my escape but now.. Naizo 2 194 05-17-2019, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Naizo
  Depression is Caused by Demons Who Cause Chemical Imbalances in the Mind AlertChristians 4 249 05-02-2019, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Siku
  Depression is taking a physical toll Lonewolf33 5 425 03-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Raph
  Depressing music in situational depression OverTheRainbow 5 1,116 02-28-2019, 03:16 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
  venting ranting depression anger TammyLynn1972 6 693 10-10-2018, 06:48 AM
Last Post: TammyLynn1972
  Depression causes uncertainty Guzheng 4 549 09-16-2018, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Tealeaf
Exclamation Things I've Done to Ease Depression V.V. 2 725 08-20-2018, 04:13 AM
Last Post: harper
  Mild depression man-Argentina 0 503 07-15-2018, 04:53 AM
Last Post: man-Argentina
  Depression since oldest child memory, nothing works. tone303 10 1,412 07-14-2018, 02:32 AM
Last Post: Richard_39
Sad How do I help people with depression? Mrloggy 5 1,185 05-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Last Post: DarkSelene