Who else self medicates to escape depression?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jafo

Reaction score
And what is your medication of choice? Drugs? Alcohol?

Drugs and alcohol are not self medicating, it's self destruction. It's choosing to live in a fantasy world of delusion. It's an escape mechanism and in the end, doesn't do a **** thing help you. Just because you are drunk or high doesn't mean your problems go away.

TheRealCallie said:
Drugs and alcohol are not self medicating, it's self destruction. It's choosing to live in a fantasy world of delusion. It's an escape mechanism and in the end, doesn't do a **** thing help you. Just because you are drunk or high doesn't mean your problems go away.

Indeed. Once you stop 'self-medicating' those artificial barriers that you've built up come crashing down and your problems seem bigger than ever...

Really? Drugs and Alcohol for medication? I haven't heard that thing until now.

My self-medication is time, my alone time. No disturbance, nothing.

PenDragon said:

Where you been? People have been self medicating for donkeys years! And you've only just heard of it?
What do you do in your alone time pen? I like the beach, nature, cooking, I made soda bread yesterday ;) I like music too and reading. Horses :D I love horses.

"Self Medicating" will only cause harm in the long run. Do you have any other interests? Reading, walking, hiking, cooking...etc..?

If you are "self medicating", you should reach out to a professional, if you haven't already.

Devon said:
PenDragon said:

Where you been? People have been self medicating for donkeys years! And you've only just heard of it?
What do you do in your alone time pen? I like the beach, nature, cooking, I made soda bread yesterday ;) I like music too and reading. Horses :D I love horses.

Detachment from everything, no responsibility, no worries. Void of all thoughts, well it starts with looking out from windows then focusing my gaze on something far, very far until it gets blurry then sudden stop from chain of thought. It's quite peaceful then afterwards a glass of water. :)

I used to self-medicate with food. Fatty food, sugary food, you name it. It's probably why I was overweight. I turned my attention to other things and was able to shed the excess weight.
I think we all have our go-to activities for when we're feeling sad or anxious. Maybe it's obsessively checking a smartphone, maybe it's eating cakes and ice cream, maybe it's using drugs or maybe it's cleaning the house top to bottom at 3am.
My self-medications are physical activities like walking and playing music on my violin and I wouldn't be surprised if those have the same physical effect as an anti-depressant medication. I've solved many a personal problem and cleared out the cobwebs by chugging along on long, long walks through the neighborhood or parks. Plus it's a great way to meet neighbors :)

-Teresa

food definitely, and internet addiction - oh my, I thought that was all over, here it is again

I'm sort of naturally self-destructive. I've made my peace with that.
Kinda goes with the territory of Black Metal, heh....

That and, I honestly like to explore altered states as a means to learn more about myself. I don't really smoke weed, because of the whole job aspect. If I do it's on a rare occasion. Aaannddd I don't really delve too much into psychedelics anymore either, due to a shortage on having them and getting them again, and proper people to talk to about them.... And I'm toning down my drinking, because it's costing me too **** much, and I get way more done with I'm sober anyhow....

Sssoo, I've progressed back to my originals: Music, food, and reading/writing/drawing.

I wish something gave me some kind of relief. I probably would self medicate.
From my experience, alcohol doesn't work, and oddly, to my dissatisfaction, I have a naturally high tolerance for it. It really ticks me off, because alcohol can be quite expensive. So I really don't drink it since I have to consume mass quantities to see an effect.
Food doesn't help at all. It just make me feel physically sick when I eat too much and I don't really enjoy food all that much anyway.
The internet 'addiction' thing just makes me feel lonelier a lot of the time. I seem to be better off when I'm working on hobbies, but I don't have enough time, energy or focus for those sorts of things anymore.
And the whole 'drugs' thing is difficult. Perhaps they would work, but I don't know since I've never had them. I don't know where to get them and I don't really like the idea of possibly going to prison in attempting to find a method to obtain them. Oh, and of course the awful side-effects.
Occasionally I'll be able to invest myself in a video game for a while, but that really doesn't last very long and again I don't have much time for that these days. Maybe if I had more time I could get into them more, but that's neither here nor there.

In any case, I doubt this topic was intended as a source of remorse for being unable to self-medicate. So I'll go.

I know this thread is dead, but the replies didn't really answer your topic. More like scolded & advised but is definitely the truth. Any therapist would say the exact same things because it's the truth about self-medicating. The problems are only being covered like a band-aid. The healing won't ever start by self-medicating, it just helps you forget for the time you're under the influence.

I smoked weed for 8 yrs, 6 yrs every day all day. I smoked before & after work, before family get togethers & holidays. No one knew at all. I'm normally smiley & bubbly in public anyways so I wasn't much different when high at all. More calm & pleasurable, not easily angered or saddened at all. Quit smoking cold turkey 9 months ago because I couldn't afford it & my marijuana rec certificate (semi-legal in CA) expired. Never got a new one & have no friends/boyfriends to smoke me out so I just stopped.
Don't really like drinking because I used to be a happy/fun drinker, but recent months I will start bawling then have a bad headache in the morning so I just don't do it.
These days I've been abusing sleeping aides, but due to cost, I've started using Melatonin which is more natural & a sleep aide doctors recommend first. Over the counter sleep aide abuse also cause bowel movement & urine blockages (gross I know) so that really sucked & hurt :( . Helped me stop that as well lol

Drugs relieve your pain, they don't cure. So as soon as the relieving effect is gone, you are back to where you were, with some money wasted.
I am currently reading a lot of stuff about cure of depression, and combining all the literature, it concludes that depression is just a huge bunch of negative thoughts. Of various kind, created by different logic. Which also means that we can reverse engineer it and reset our mental state. But that's really a difficult job.

Our thoughts go in chain form. (thought) ->(thought)->(thought)->(thought) ..................When negative thoughts are in chain form, it is easier to solve them.
And -ve thoughts are sometimes in loop form.
When negative thoughts form a loop, we feel depressed, because our brain cant figure out a way to break the loop.
By understanding the complete loop, problems can be reduced.
One technique that I read about understanding our problem is as follows:
1. Try to describe the exact state of your mind on a paper, when you are feeling depressed. (eg: I am feeling lonely and I want a friend to ask me if I am fine, but nobody cares)
2. Write the reason of your problem on the next page. (eg: Because I do not have friends)
3. Reason for the situation in 2. (eg: Because I cant mix up with them)
4. Reason for the situation in 3. (eg: Because I cant trust them)
5. Reason for the situation in 4. (eg: Because I have been rejected/insulted before)
6. Reason for the situation in 5. (eg: Because I couldn't do something that I could've/did something that I shouldn't)
7. Reason for the situation in 6. (eg: Because I have no experience of love/friendship)
8. Reason for the situation in 7. (eg: Because I feel inferior)
9. Reason for the situation in 8. (eg: Because I lack experience)
10. Reason for the situation in 9. (eg: Because I do not have friends)
See, you are back to 3. So you figured out the loop. Now the weakest element of the loop is found in order to break the loop. Once you do that, your depression is reduce to a considerable extent.

Caution: This technique has rebound effects. Means you will feel good once you follow the above steps, but sometimes you may feel depressed more than regular times. But now that you know your loop and its weakest point, the process can be repeated to get back to track.

This process may take time for permanent results, and takes a lot of your patience and eventually makes you stronger along with solving your problem. Try it!!

SOURCE(s): My appointment with the best psychiatrist, hypnotist and neurobiologist in the world. You can contact me if you want to know who he is, he works for free.

M_also_lonely said:
Drugs relieve your pain, they don't cure. So as soon as the relieving effect is gone, you are back to where you were, with some money wasted.

In the end it makes it worse, when I was on drugs after quitting i was really unstable emotionally. It took years to get back to "normal".... and by normal I mean a manageable amount of depression.

M_also_lonely said:
I am currently reading a lot of stuff about cure of depression, and combining all the literature, it concludes that depression is just a huge bunch of negative thoughts. Of various kind, created by different logic. Which also means that we can reverse engineer it and reset our mental state. But that's really a difficult job.

I want to do this so bad, but the mind is such a powerful thing. A few years ago I started on a healthy journey. I overhauled my whole diet which was hard, I still eat junk every now again.. mostly cakes and cookies but everything else i eat is really good. On that journey I knew the 2nd part was mental health. I was done with taking anxiety and depression meds. I honestly wanted to be done with all pills but I suffer from migraines so I can't stop with that. It's taken work, but I try and derail a negative train thought when it's coming. It's not always a perfect process and I'll get days where I succumb to it and want pills to make it all better, but as of right now i feel like trying to over come this on my own will be better for me in the long run. If I'm sad instead of listening to music that will further my moods I use music that will take me somewhere happy. Sometimes I think I've created a worse problem though, because I push myself so far into a fantasy world that I just want to stay there and not here. Ugh, I just want to be at a place where I'm always happy and it's me who controls that. One day at always time I suppose.

Here is a homemade basic self medication guide for the socially anxious:
1. Alcohol will remove a lot of anxiety, but addiction leads to irresponsible actions in black outs, bad breath and general wobbly idiocy. Quitting gives you night shakes and anger and is pretty awful. 4/10
2. Weed will help when alone, but in social situations, it can lead to nervous over thinking. Not to mention it is illegal in most places, making it expensive and slightly anxiety inducing to acquire. 6/10
3. Anti anxiety medication (zoloft/sertraline/SNRIs) has little effect if any, but no noticeable negative side for me. Meh/10
4. Codeine is the winner. Relaxing euphoria that only opiates can provide, works with or without other humanoids. Removes all the scummy aspects of buying/smoking/injecting heroin. Anyone can get it if they look for it and have paper towels. 8/10

DISCLAIMER - drugs are bad, mkay. Mick Jagger, Lou Reed, Bob Marley, Billie Holiday and all those guys were just singing about it because it's edgy.

Alcohol and marijuana, I have a medical license.... I quit smoking tobacco after 12 years recently, I quit marijuana 2 weeks ago, and alcohol I can never get addicted to, but about once a week I still drink and I feel nothing from it. I'm going through a rough time right now trying to deal with sobriety, it's pretty depressing.

self-medicating is far preferable to coercive medicating, and that is all that the low (i.e. most of us) will ever know. we live in a dying world, thanks to eugenic policies that are by now irreversible.

what helped me the most was to hate, hate, and keep hating what was done to me, and stop blaming myself for the horrible behavior of others. the side-effect of this is that i might as well give up ever living a legitimate life, but that was not really an option - the more i learn, the more i realize that this world was stacked against me from the very start, and there really was no hope. all of this was for eugenics, all of it, and everywhere i look it is only the filthy tentacles of eugenism marching over everyone else.

drugs and such don't do a whole lot, mostly because the useful drugs are held by eugenic gatekeepers (oh, you didn't know that the drug trade is fueled by eugenic policy too? drug use could be stamped out within 20 years if TPTB wanted to do so, without changing the legal code significantly - not that it matters since we already live in a police state, but said police state gains nothing but benefit from the trade in vice.)

effective diet can go a long way to aiding ones state, but it is hard to pick out what is genuinely useful from the mountains of bullshit. fasting for a few days often helps me, anyway.

I currently do, weed, or alcohol, or benzos. I just want my mind to stop working.

Latest posts

Back