Breaking point at work.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jafo

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever reached the breaking point at their job to where they clock out and never come back. I'm getting to that point now. I just don't like my job anymore and am very unhappy there. It has affected my personal life and I think a job as insignificant as mine (which is in retail) shouldn't have that affect on me.

Yeah, with a few jobs. Once of which broke me down to the point of self harm, the other is what brought me here. The latter wasn't so much the job but the situation it got to. Thankfully I current have a job with a boss who is none of that.

Your job isn't insignificant, it is very important. Seems more like it might be the situation which is making you feel the way you are?

Jafo said:
Just wondering if anyone has ever reached the breaking point at their job to where they clock out and never come back. I'm getting to that point now. I just don't like my job anymore and am very unhappy there. It has affected my personal life and I think a job as insignificant as mine (which is in retail) shouldn't have that affect on me.

I had that experience in my firts job. I remember I had so much anguish one day that I cried. I was so explotative and stresful that I didn't even dreamed. I just keep seeing images on my retine at night for so much repetition. I didn't just stoped going, I talked with the manager and said I would complete the month and take off. They took it well. It was barely 5 months but it feeled like a year.

I've been with my current job for almost 4 and half years. It's just not fun anymore and it has affected my health. I lost a lot of weight awhile back and due to the stress/depression my job puts me in I have gained almost 25 pounds. I hardly workout at the gym anymore and stopped eating healthy. I would like to talk to my manager and tell her how unhappy I am there but I hear when you do that in retail they slowly try to push you out. And trust me, retail is insignificant. High turnover rate as people quit all the time. I just want to stop going.

Then stop going altogether and find another job. Can't you do that?

I was having major work anxiety when I was teaching for 5 years, mostly due to the horrible management and superiors, on top of very challenging kids. I was near a breaking point all the **** time. I quit when I hit my 5 year mark, simply because that was the end of my contract. I've felt much better since then. I fell sick a lot back then too.

Jafo said:
Definitely start looking for another job; there's no point staying in an unpleasant situation if you can opt out of it.

I've been under pressure where I've felt like walking out, but I consider a permanent job really important as to just stick it out. Whenever I feel in such a position I try my best to think of the benefits of the job, what it brings etc... I already have experience of having no job and looking for employment and it's definitely not somewhere I want to be again. This is usually enough to relax me a bit, in the mean time if it's really that bad then definitely look for another.

My last job, I didn't clock out without ever returning, because I needed the money and couldn't just quit - but I was burned out. I had one especially bad day (I remember the exact date and it was 11 years ago) and went home that evening with a laser focus on getting a different job - I updated my resume and immediately started applying for other jobs, which led to my current job.
Are you looking for another job? Maybe you should start there. Do you have friends that also work in retail? Maybe they can help you get a new position somewhere else. The holiday hiring season is coming and the job market is also way better now than it was 4 1/2 years ago, when you started your current job. Good luck!

-Teresa

Yes, I am looking for another job. I've already had one interview and they called me back for a 2nd one later this coming week. Sadly, its in retail which I really want to get out of. But its better hours and better pay, plus I would never again have to deal with certain people who I just can't stand to be around at my current job any longer.

Jafo said:
Yes, I am looking for another job. I've already had one interview and they called me back for a 2nd one later this coming week. Sadly, its in retail which I really want to get out of. But its better hours and better pay, plus I would never again have to deal with certain people who I just can't stand to be around at my current job any longer.

The new store might not be so bad. I quit a retail job last year because of the damage to my emotional/mental health. I ended up getting a job at another store. Similar responsibilities, but the stress level is much lower. A strong group of employees/managements can really make a difference when it comes to retail. Good luck!

Well the place I have the 2nd interview with wants me as a part time assistant manager. It would involve me being a keyholder. Opening and closing the store, closing registers, that kind of stuff. Never had such responsibility and it scares the hell out of me. But I need to get out of where I am now before Thanksgiving.

I'm also at a breaking point in my job.Can't stand it any longer. Like you is also in retail and I hate what my job has become and what corporate has been asking from us. Work more with less help and everything.The only thing that keeps me there is because of the flexibility of my schedule since I go to school also and to finish paying off my car which should be early next year.Once I am done with my debt, I will focused myself 100% to my studies, working only one day every other week to keep the "benefits", while looking for a much better job.

Just keep applying for anything. Keep knocking doors and one will answer. But don't get stuck in this job, it will drive you insane or you will make a bigger mistake, like getting fired because you scream back at a costumer for having just too much, etc. Is not worthy. Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

Your job has to be somewhat enjoyable. Most people spend 8 hours at work, and when you think of that, it's a 1/3 of your day! Goodluck. I hope you find a better one.

Nicolelt said:
Your job has to be somewhat enjoyable. Most people spend 8 hours at work, and when you think of that, it's a 1/3 of your day! Goodluck. I hope you find a better one.

No, it is no longer enjoyable. Hasn't been for well over a year and I've been there for almost 4 and half years.

Jafo said:
I would like to talk to my manager and tell her how unhappy I am there but I hear when you do that in retail they slowly try to push you out. And trust me, retail is insignificant. High turnover rate as people quit all the time. I just want to stop going.
Is it really going to hurt anything if they try to push you out? You're already thinking of leaving. Might as well try anyway. Some managers are okay. They might try to work something out for you. And if not, that just gives you another reason to quit.
Or maybe even get fired, which means then you'll probably be able to apply for social benefits, though I guess that depends where you live.

I would first suggest lining up a new job either way, though. You're not happy where you are now so finding a new one should be your first priority. The loss of income is never a fun ride and often you'll just find out the relief from leaving the job that made you miserable doesn't last too long as the bills start pouring in.

I've known some people who skate from job to job every once in a while just so they don't get stuck in this situation where they end up hating their job. I just don't recommend doing that constantly in high frequency because employers will catch on and realize if you don't stay at jobs for very long that means you probably won't stay at theirs for very long either.

Jafo said:

I hope you get the new job.

I have hated my job many times. I've wrote my resignation a few times, handed it in once. It wasn't always the job (I work in retail as well) it was usually somebody I had to work with. Mostly one of the managers. I always stuck around because I thought whoever was giving me a hard time would get moved on. Managers tend to get moved a lot. And that is what happened. This twat of a manager got moved to another shop in the area and I have loved my job since. The new Manager is a nice guy and everybody is happy in their work.

I got the job. Giving my 2 weeks on Monday and will be starting at the end of the month. No insane holiday hours and I will finally get to have Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Jafo said:
I got the job. Giving my 2 weeks on Monday and will be starting at the end of the month. No insane holiday hours and I will finally get to have Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Well done.
Hopefully the new job will be better than the last one.

Jafo said:

Oooh, exciting! Congrats! :)
Enjoy that turkey and pumpkin pie :)

-Teresa

Latest posts

Back