Fears/Phobias?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolateMoose

Reaction score
Anyone have any fears or phobias they have that they would like to share?

I have a stupidly silly phobia called trypophobia. Basically fear of holes.
HOLES!
Looking at photos of lotus seed pods and beehives have induced panic attacks in me.

(If you are uncomfortable talking about your phobia, that's OK. But I urge you to tease me about mine ;) )

I can truly say that I've never heard of that phobia before. Is it any hole? Or does it just strike unexpectedly with a series or pattern of holes?

WhatDidYouDoNick said:
I can truly say that I've never heard of that phobia before. Is it any hole? Or does it just strike unexpectedly with a series or pattern of holes?

When they are small and in groups (like beehives). I can look at a hole in say, a tree, and I won't be bothered by it. It's super ridiculous.
I'm guessing that if someone were to drill a bunch of tiny holes in said tree then I would freak out.

Wasps (spheksophobia) and bees (melissophobia or apiphobia), but wasps more than bees. I'm scared of other bugs too, but not as phobic.
Driving (vehophobia). Or more specifically, causing an accident.
Needles.
Dentist and doctor appointments.
Cameras pointed at me.

ChocolateMoose said:
When they are small and in groups (like beehives). I can look at a hole in say, a tree, and I won't be bothered by it. It's super ridiculous.
I'm guessing that if someone were to drill a bunch of tiny holes in said tree then I would freak out.

I'm oddly and overly fascinated by this condition.

I'm really averse to sitting in a chair that still has someone else's body warmth on it. I always hold my breath close to anyone else's face because I don't want to breathe in what they've just exhaled out. I'm uncomfortable touching anyone, and I absolutely dread getting their sweat on my own skin.

I'm not sure if any of that qualifies as phobias though. Maybe something else. Seems a little weird now that I see it.

The interstate.
I don't travel much, but I'm afraid of getting lost on it.
That and people drive like maniacs on it.

omg dying alone.
I'm coming to a point were I realize I've been in relationship after relationship longer than people go to grade school. 3 year. 6 year. and now 5 year. I need a break. Who am I?

I still want love. a Family. That dream. That life. I have now crossed 30 into 31. Someone recently jokingly called me "old man" not meaning any harm. but with my spinning head problem it really got to me. My Mortality is weighing me down and my relationship that just ended seemed like my only hope for happiness while I am still young. I need to give my self a breather to remember who I really am before I can try again but ****, father time. *sigh*

Well, I might has well add mine to the mix...

I fear parking next to concrete pillars. Ya know, the ones you find in public parking garages. This goes beyond the rational reason that the car could get scraped, and into full-on anxiety attack. But I've made progress on this one. I can usually mange now without outward visual signs of my anxiety.

I fear leaving the house to go to the market. This isn't at a panic level, but merely anxiety. I don't fear leaving to go for a walk outside, but specifically going to the grocery store. Well, going alone I should say. Never had this issue until I became single.

1. Heights: Especially if I'm standing on a bridge or a ground where you can see through it - I bet you I will stay frozen and never be able to move.
2. Roaches: Just.. I literally shake at the sight of one and have developed panic attacks from this.
3. Automated sliding doors/machinery: I mean, who doesn't get paranoid about the elevator door closing on you as you step in? That's one horrible way to be stuck in pain and crushed to death from. *gulp*

WhatDidYouDoNick said:
I fear leaving the house to go to the market. This isn't at a panic level, but merely anxiety. I don't fear leaving to go for a walk outside, but specifically going to the grocery store. Well, going alone I should say. Never had this issue until I became single.

I'm oddly and overly fascinated by this condition.

For me, I don't like heights. So I can identify with ladyforsaken there.

I am scared of snakes and I don't like bugs.

ChocolateMoose said:

HOLES!
Looking at photos of lotus seed pods and beehives have induced panic attacks in me.

(If you are uncomfortable talking about your phobia, that's OK. But I urge you to tease me about mine ;) )

I thought that had to be kind of a network of holes bunched together.

Solivagant said:
Wasps (spheksophobia) and bees (melissophobia or apiphobia), but wasps more than bees. I'm scared of other bugs too, but not as phobic.
Driving (vehophobia). Or more specifically, causing an accident.
Needles.
Dentist and doctor appointments.
Cameras pointed at me.

Didn't know vehophobia existed. If so then I guess I am vehophobic too, but just with cars. XD

9006 said:
ChocolateMoose said:

HOLES!

I thought that had to be kind of a network of holes bunched together.

Yep! Only groups of holes set it off. Just a singular hole doesn't induce it. I always feel like something's living inside of them, or I get the scary fear of "what if I wake up and suddenly am covered in tiny holes!?"

ChocolateMoose said:

HOLES!

Yay, someone else that doesn't like holes!!!
I can't say mine is a real fear, but a group of holes has my skin crawling and I have to get away from it.

ChocolateMoose said:
Yep! Only groups of holes set it off. Just a singular hole doesn't induce it. I always feel like something's living inside of them, or I get the scary fear of "what if I wake up and suddenly am covered in tiny holes!?"

I think everyone has this to a certain extent, there's something about it that makes you feel a bit grossed out.

One common to many: heights...

Enclosed places - this wasn't a phobia at all until fairly recently and I think there were two things that contributed to this: I watched a thriller-type movie about a serial killer at the advice of my hubby who said it was really good...this is not the type of movie I would generally watch as the disturbing parts get stuck in my head for days. Anyway, a lady was kidnapped in this movie, and it turns out she was buried alive. Fast forward to a few weeks later - I was playing with my kid and he wanted me to hide in a box. So, I crawl in and a few moments later, I'm having this massive panic attack and freaking out. It was weird, I was not prepared for my strong reaction, but thinking about it later, it's those two things that coincided to suddenly produce a phobia in me.

And last, but not least, dolls - like the life-like sort of dolls...ugh.

Clowns after being shown Poltergeist as a child thanks to an evil babysitter. Oh and Bob and his relatives.

planes, elevators, crowds, interacting with people, although the biggest one has always been and always will be - psychiatrists and the psychiatric ward.

Latest posts

Back