Newbe. Expat in Mexico.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goingnuts

Reaction score
Newbe. Expat in Mexico.

Howdy to all.

In Feb. I’ll be 77. Being on my own at 15, I’ve lived an adventurous life. Rock climber. Traveled widely in the States. Biz man. Have 3 adult sons who have families. Been married 3 times which lasted 15 years each. Earned BA and MA degrees. Had many careers. Teacher for years at University and Colleges. Biz owner of a production company where I was Producer, Director and Writer for TV/Film shows for Private Industry.

(lol. I just reread this and want you to know I can write in full sentences. It’s just that the facts in my life are boring to me.)

While having these careers, I was also was a writer for 35 years, creating many screenplays, stage plays, and lately, fiction.

My current situation is occasionally lonely. I came to Mexico for the increased purchasing power for my Social Security checks. A Mexican family adopted me and I returned the favor and adopted them. They are bilingual so I can talk them in English. We’ve been together for many years, and built a plank house with a tin roof, on a small Ranchero. We grow corn, and table vegetables. We raise pigs, sheep, goats and chickens. We are home to 2 dogs, a cat and 2 parrots.

I’m still writing fiction and never feel lonely while doing so because the work keeps my mind active. As does Eross, the 8 years old, who I taught how to play Chess. He’s an example of the student overtaking the teacher as I usually lose. His Mom and Dad are pleasant to me but not really that interested in my feelings or my work. I guess we live together in a cultural divide, which is why I sometimes feel lonely.

I’ve read some posts on this site. It’s very supportive and I want to participate. I always feel better ‘giving’ more than ‘receiving’, and hope there are some people interested in writing here who I can be helpful to.

Reaching out is a good way to counter loneliness.

goingnuts

Hi.. you sound like a very interesting person to have a conversation with.

It's good to have you on board, goingnuts, and it's also good to meet another older guy on the site....I'm 62 myself and a former ex-pat, foreign born and raised but a USA resident since high school.

I hope you find the forum worthwhile and interesting.

You seem like a really nice person, who got to enjoy life to the fullest. We are fortunate to have a member like you,that can share so many wonderful experiences. I love your farm life style now. I have been always curious about it. Is it relaxing being away from the city?

Hope you feel very welcome here on the forum and anything you need, you can always write to us for anything. Thank you:)

Zhara said:
Hi.. you sound like a very interesting person to have a conversation with.

Thanks for the welcome and compliment. Bring it on. What would you like to converse about. I promise not to be pontifical.

...say hello to 3 strangers tomorrow... It will please you.

constant stranger said:
It's good to have you on board, goingnuts, and it's also good to meet another older guy on the site....I'm 62 myself and a former ex-pat, foreign born and raised but a USA resident since high school.

(((Being an expat in a different culture is a real challenge. Nothing seems to be the way I'm used to.)))

(((I have high hopes.)))

constant stranger said:

(((Yikes. I'm just learning how to use this site. I already tried to respond to you and it disappeared. So you may get two from me. Please know that I'm not a redundant person.

I have absolutely nothing to say about the advantages of aging! Except that each day makes you older so hug someone soon.)))

(((I have high hopes. Thanks for the welcome.)))

Hello,
What area of Mexico do you live in? My good friend & her husband are from Nayarit and my daughter's dad's family is from D.F. I've never been there but, who knows, maybe I will retire there too since the cost of living in my state is sky high lol.

Welcome to the forum! :)

-Teresa

Hey goingnuts......yeah, try not to be redundant. And try not to repeat yourself. In addition, it's better not to say what you've already said.

OH yeah, watch out for those mixed metaphors......they're a real pain in the neck so just toss them in the rubbish bin.

SofiasMami said:
Hello,
What area of Mexico do you live in? My good friend & her husband are from Nayarit and my daughter's dad's family is from D.F. I've never been there but, who knows, maybe I will retire there too since the cost of living in my state is sky high lol.

Welcome to the forum! :)

-Teresa

Hi Teresa.

If you look at a map of Mexico I'm located in the rural Boondocks, where the countries of Gautamala (sp) and Belize are located. I haven't bothered to go to either, although I'm very curious about Belize, rumored to be owned by Hollywood money.

Before settleing here, I spent times in other locations. I spent a lot of time in a 'tourist' fishing village south of PV. I lived in LaPaz for awhile.

I have come to love Mexico and its people. I hate 'mordita' which seems to be everywhere.

I have lived in many places in the states, and I must say I have never felt more at home than here, but I still miss San Francisco a great deal.

Come on down for a visit before you move.

going nuts.

Eliraven said:
You seem like a really nice person, who got to enjoy life to the fullest. We are fortunate to have a member like you,that can share so many wonderful experiences. I love your farm life style now. I have been always curious about it. Is it relaxing being away from the city?

Hope you feel very welcome here on the forum and anything you need, you can always write to us for anything. Thank you:)

I have a saying I use for myself: If happy 51% of the time I beat the odds against a house dealing a stacked deck. I've been beating the odds most of the time. But there were times when I busted and couldn't see out of the darkness. Right now, this life I'm living, is usually around 65%.

The only time in my life when my happiness was sky high was in love with someone who loved me. And as anyone who has experienced this knows, you're insane until the seizure stops.

As to the return to a simpler life: it's boring. Learning new facts is always exciting for me, but there's only so much you can learn about farming and animal husbandry and new info moves into the need to know. But I must say that a simple life leaves a lot of time for my writing.

Thanks for the welcome.

constant stranger said:
Hey goingnuts......yeah, try not to be redundant. And try not to repeat yourself. In addition, it's better not to say what you've already said.

OH yeah, watch out for those mixed metaphors......they're a real pain in the neck so just toss them in the rubbish bin.

I was trying to be funny, goingnuts, but I don't think I succeeded.

:club:

hehe love your name.. Welcome to ALL and bright Blessings to.. ^.^

Latest posts

Back