I'm Pretty Confused - Post Party Panic

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, there's a lot to get through here, so sorry if it becomes an incoherent mess, but I'll do the best I can. Any responses would be much appreciated.

Okay, so a couple weeks ago, I went to this party an I was talking to this girl from school. We were kind of flirting, in a weird way. To be honest whenever I flirt with someone it's a little weird, but it seemed to be going well on this occasion. I mean, she was putting her hand on my chest and stuff like that. But there were a few things that bothered me throughout the night, and ultimately I feel as though they have ruined my chances:

- I can't remember what I talked about with her at all. I was a little out of it, not smashed but enough for me to lose all recognition of the conversation. I could've said any old crap, and I would have no idea about it.

- I didn't make a move, but we held hands... At the time it seemed like the right thing to do. I've been through a lot of emotional wreckage associated with relationships this year, so I felt like not making a move was a wise decision on my part. Of course, thinking back on it now, I feel pretty stupid, given that we held hands but I didn't make out.

- The "friendzone" topic was raised by some other party-goer and I lacked the confidence to respond, well, confidently. Yeah, again stupid, but I get a lot of anxiety over anything to do with social situations, and the term "friendzone" at times like that is a horrifying prospect. So I fumbled my way through that exchange, leaving myself feeling pretty awkward.

- I had to run to catch up with some people who I was meant to leave the party with. I made sure not to run when I was passing the girl on the way home, but I fear she and her friends may have seen me when I was further away. Being caught running can be social suicide or mean nothing at all depending on who sees it, but the general consensus is: don't run if you think you'll see someone you know.

Now, I don't know if she's actually resentful of our flirting on that night; it would be understandable, but she's been acting more or less as though I don't exist since the night of the party. We weren't close friends beforehand, but we'd been talking more during the week before the party. Now it's gone back more or less to how things were until that week, which is quite frustrating. She still says "hi" if I make eye contact, but it's much less 'warm' I guess you could say.
My friends are giving me varying advice as well, and I can't decide whether I should stick it out and wait, or try and forget about her, both of which are easier said than done. There's lots of reasons that she could be ignoring me now. She could simply feel awkward about the night, or dislike me, or it could be pressure from her friends, being from a separate group.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with this kind of thing, I'd appreciate any advice you could provide very much. I tend to overthink things, which prevents me a lot of the time from choosing a course of action, so if you guys gave me some suggestions that would be great!

Thanks a bunch! :)

P.S. I know this isn't a massive problem, and I know there are people on this forum with much larger issues, but I'd still really appreciate your advice.

Maybe she feels just as awkward because she doesn't remember details early either and thinks she may have said/done something embarrassing while under the influence too?

VanillaCreme said:
What's wrong with running?

Honestly, I have no idea. No teen in Melbourne likes to look like they're in a rush I guess.

JHK said:
Maybe she feels just as awkward because she doesn't remember details early either and thinks she may have said/done something embarrassing while under the influence too?

I think that's unlikely. She's pretty confident. Who knows though.

Maybe she feels just as weird about it as you do, or maybe she thinks you don't like her enough because you didn't make a move.

I'd go with either one of these.

NoRain said:
Maybe she feels just as weird about it as you do, or maybe she thinks you don't like her enough because you didn't make a move.

I'd go with either one of these.

Yeah, I thought about that. I dunno, there's so many things it could be. But thanks anyway guys. Should I just ask her if we're chill? I'm really bad at this sort of thing.

Guy_In_The_Corner_ said:
Should I just ask her if we're chill? I'm really bad at this sort of thing.

I'd say it depends on what you're looking for. As an awkward girl myself, if a guy with whom I spent an entire party talking/holding hands with asked me those exact words, I'd think you really don't want anything to do with me besides being friends.

I know it can be scary as fresia, but if you really do like this girl, ask her if she wants to hang out some time. You don't have to say the word "date" if it makes you even more nervous, just let her know you actually want this to move forward.

Good luck! :)

NoRain said:
Guy_In_The_Corner_ said:
Should I just ask her if we're chill? I'm really bad at this sort of thing.

I'd say it depends on what you're looking for. As an awkward girl myself, if a guy with whom I spent an entire party talking/holding hands with asked me those exact words, I'd think you really don't want anything to do with me besides being friends.

I know it can be scary as fresia, but if you really do like this girl, ask her if she wants to hang out some time. You don't have to say the word "date" if it makes you even more nervous, just let her know you actually want this to move forward.

Good luck! :)

Thanks! I'm really not sure at this point. It's been awhile, but I'll consider it. Still, thank you. It is difficult to do this stuff.

Latest posts

Back