Friend ran away from home

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Seal The Albatros

Reaction score
So I got a text from my friend today. He said he ran away from home, and he hated his life. I tried calling him multiple times, but he didn't answer, saying he doesn't want to talk about it. After prodding him a few more times, he told me to call him at 6:00pm, and we'll talk about it. Problem is, I don't know how or what to say.

He mentioned one of his ex-girlfriends broke out of prison and is now chasing him, and if it's similar to previous things he told me, she will try to kill him.

I can't call emergency services. I don't know the phone number for the area's emergency services, and he refuses to tell me where he's went.

I've got around 3 hours before we call. If anyone has any advice,it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Don't try to push him into doing anything he doesn't want to do, as they will just make him shy away from you. You can try to reason with him, just don't go too far where he might think you are pushing.

For now, all you can really do is support him, be there for him.

Do you think what he told you about his ex is legit or is there a chance he could be suffering from a mental illness?

I'm sorry, Mr. Seal, but I have to ask the same question: are you sure your friend isn't having some kind of episode?

I don't feel like I'm in a position to give advice, seeing as how I've never been in this situation before. But I thought I'd just say sorry to hear it, Mr Seal. How did your conversation with him turn out yesterday?

((hugs))

Thanks for the replies guys.
Conversation was... interesting. I had to keep pushing the subject to make sure he was okay.
Good news is, the situation I think is resolved, and the ex was arrested... for now at least. Tone of voice suggested that things suddenly got better too. No idea if he went back home, but at least this is a step in the right direction.

Paraiyar said:
Do you think what he told you about his ex is legit or is there a chance he could be suffering from a mental illness?

I can never really tell to be honest. There have been times when what he tells me is inconsistent with what he said previously (ex. one day he'll tell me he's with his parents, another day he's in a campus residence), and sometimes what he says will be dramatic to the point it wouldn't look out of place in a movie. This makes it pretty difficult to figure out what he's thinking, so I go with whatever he says. Who knows, I might be doubting him too much.

However, this isn't the first time he's mentioned his ex was trying to kill him. For a while, he kept telling me that she was bullying him, driving him to depression, and I had to get his mother to help me talk to him. Then there were the multiple times last year when he mentioned she sent her boyfriend to his house to kill him. Thankfully, almost every time, he seems to feel better about it very quickly, and the boyfriend is always caught. However, he always wants to drop the subject when I try to bring it up.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
Paraiyar said:

I can never really tell to be honest. There have been times when what he tells me is inconsistent with what he said previously (ex. one day he'll tell me he's with his parents, another day he's in a campus residence), and sometimes what he says will be dramatic to the point it wouldn't look out of place in a movie. This makes it pretty difficult to figure out what he's thinking, so I go with whatever he says. Who knows, I might be doubting him too much.

However, this isn't the first time he's mentioned his ex was trying to kill him. For a while, he kept telling me that she was bullying him, driving him to depression, and I had to get his mother to help me talk to him. Then there were the multiple times last year when he mentioned she sent her boyfriend to his house to kill him. Thankfully, almost every time, he seems to feel better about it very quickly, and the boyfriend is always caught. However, he always wants to drop the subject when I try to bring it up.

Not to pry, but is this the same friend of yours who habitually tells tall tales? I thought you mentioned something like that before where you had a friend that kept telling you crazy stories claiming they were true but were just unbelievable, and this seems consistent with that. You even mentioned that some of his stories sound like they could be the plot of a movie, and this seems like another one of those stories to me.

I admit that I don't know the guy or the situation, but I find it odd when you brought up that there were many times last year when he thought his ex sent her boyfriend to kill him. I mean, if that were true, that sounds pretty serious. Wouldn't the boyfriend be in jail then, especially if he has been caught trying to kill someone not just once but several times? Why hasn't anyone done anything about it, especially since it's been a repeated issue?

I don't know, man. He might be telling the truth, he might not be. Either way I'd hate to see you get dragged down over this guy's problems.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:

Has your friend displayed any other worrying behaviours? Did you ever meet this ex? Did she seem like the bullying type or the type to have someone beaten up? Could you contact her to get her side of the story? Could his parents give you further insight? Sorry for all the questions, but there are a lot that spring to mind after reading your story.

Your friend seems to have a lot of paranoia about his ex, which may or may not be unfounded, but delusional thinking (e.g., believing that someone is trying to kill you when all evidence and logic says they aren't) falls under the umbrella of several psychiatric disorders. I hope your friend isn't mentally ill, but there are just so many question marks around him.

Latest posts

Back