Self worth

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing was said. The video isn't there. :)

EveWasFramed said:
Lol...technical difficulties. :p Look now.

Yes Ma'am I see it now. Nice video with a good message. I know I have self-worth even though some people in here treat me like I don't. (Not you.)

Thank you for sharing.

Just wish it was as easy for people to turn their thinking around as it was watching this video.

It'll probably be easier for me just to pay someone the twenty dollars.

Good message, but he could use a better analogy. A $20 bill isn't the moral agent here, rather the people who use it.

Some say self worth comes from within, others say it comes validation, and he says it comes from a higher power (god). Just because the message sounds nice doesn't mean it makes sense. I can't reconcile my lack of belief in god with the hope that a metaphor will make me feel better. He sounds very traditional too; something that I reject conclusively. Seeing the rest of his videos gives the idea he's the kind of people that creates loneliness in the world.

Well then I suppose there's nothing of value for you in what he's saying.
Perhaps someone else might find his words helpful.

Xpendable said:
Some say self worth comes from within, others say it comes validation, and he says it comes from a higher power (god). Just because the message sounds nice doesn't mean it makes sense. I can't reconcile my lack of belief in god with the hope that a metaphor will make me feel better. He sounds very traditional too; something that I reject conclusively. Seeing the rest of his videos gives the idea he's the kind of people that creates loneliness in the world.

No, there is a reason he said a force greater than you instead of God. Yes, the dude in the video clearly believes in God because he said God Bless, but he didn't say it in the message because of people such as yourself that do not believe in God so they can also follow the message.
You don't have to believe in God to feel there is a greater force above you. It could simply be the universe or a doorknob for that matter.

TheRealCallie said:
No, there is a reason he said a force greater than you instead of God. Yes, the dude in the video clearly believes in God because he said God Bless, but he didn't say it in the message because of people such as yourself that do not believe in God so they can also follow the message.
You don't have to believe in God to feel there is a greater force above you. It could simply be the universe or a doorknob for that matter.

Maybe, but he said the worth is put in us by a higher force, that's a totally unsupported claim. Even if is not a deity, the universe doesn't give value to anything; we do that. As with the bill he had. Money itself doesn't have inherent value, money its just a representation of currency and its value can be vary regarding the context. 20 dollars now don't mean the same that in the 1920's, for example. The only empirical force that gives you worth is society and it can strip it from you with ease as well. Give a man validation all his life and he will think he's confident from birth. He will fool himself to believe he did it, that he has control over his self worth. But a man can't know how to feel about himself if he's alone in the world. He can't know his worth without an external reflection of the concept itself.

That's what he believes in. No one ever said you had to believe in the same. And you don't determine what someone else believes in either.

VanillaCreme said:
That's what he believes in.

Never said he couldn't.

VanillaCreme said:
No one ever said you had to believe in the same.

Never said I felt someone was trying to obligate me.

VanillaCreme said:
And you don't determine what someone else believes in either.

Never intend it.

3 straw-man in one post. Nice.

200_s.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back