Memorable songs good or bad

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreakingtheGirl

Reaction score
Hello!
I would like to know what song or songs that you just cannot hear without a memory/memories flooding into your mind?
It could be a scary back beat of a song that gives you nightmares every time, a song that you cannot help but jump up & dance to everytime it's played because it reminds you of good times, a Christmas carol that reminds you of when you had your whole family together during the holiday, a song you always remember that played during a pivotal moment in your life, etc.

Mine would be Goyte's "Somebody that I used to know".
That **** song started playing on the radio in the US a few weeks before I had the worst break up of my life. Those lyrics were written exactly about that death of my relationship. Every word was exact truth to my situation (cut me off by moving out of the country & didn't contact me until 2 yrs later, changed his #, completely wiped me off the map after 1 yr of "we are meant for each other" crap, said we'd always be friends, a little relieved that I didn't have to suffer through his constant bad moods when we broke up).
It haunted me for a full year...every radio station, multiple times a day & I mean many times played back to back while switching radio stations. Playing inside stores at the mall, people blasting it in their cars, etc. I seriously couldn't heal myself because it was always there as a reminder. It felt like I was being punished to ensure that pain & constant reminder of abandonment. It would not leave me alone for even 1 day for a whole year! Worst song during a break up ever!! Still haunts me, but at least I can listen to it w/ no emotion these days.
Just the memories of that year are brutal to think back on.

Whenever I hear "Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls, I think about this old flame I had when I just up and moved to Ontario and we ended up dating while I was there and after my visitor's visa ran out (I moved to New Hampshire). We dated for a few months after my move, but the distance just became too much. I mentioned about her in one of the old threads. She was amazing, could go from old soul mature with wisdom in spades then turn right around and act like a giddy 20-something and it just made me smile when she did that...thought she was fantastic. Still think about her from time to time even if Slide isn't playing in the background.

Now, the past couple of weeks, it's been the song "Springsteen" by Eric Church. I got my co-worker into country music (I listen to everything, but she never cared much for country till I started playing a thumb drive full of songs, mainly alternative rock, mixed with a handful of country tunes). Anyway, this song is kind of ironic as Eric Church wrote this song about a girl he met at concert, then dated, and to this day whenever he hears a certain song by that artist he immediately thinks of her. Outside of that song, he never thinks of the girl. The artist wasn't Springsteen, but he made the song fit with different titles of Springsteen songs, plus he is a big fan of Springsteen.

Anywho, it's the first song I play on the computer and we listen to it sometimes three or four times in a row since she absolutely loves the song. Unfortunately, due to us becoming much closer over the past few months...yeah, I think of her as the song is playing. So, this song is very bittersweet. Crushing on a co-worker sucks.*shaking my head*

I'm a huge music junkie. So many songs remind me of different things. I think I'll go with the positive ones though. I'm a huge disney lover, so I dl the soundtracks to disney songs haha. My daughters 7 and like any little girl is obsessed with frozen. Anytime love is an open door hits my random I think of how many times I'm cleaning/dancing with her and playing this song on repeat. When i hear under the sea it reminds me of going to florida with her and hitting up disney world. I absolutely loved the little Mermaid ride, it reminds me of riding in that clam singing along like a little kid. I think I loved it more than she did.

When i hear that if you steal my sunshine song, it reminds of my childhood. Sneaking into the rich lake community to skate on their lake in the winter (skate with my shoes haha) old school greenday and smashing pumpkins always give me fond memories of my childhood too. When i hear the music box dancer it reminds me of being at my dad's house. I have very little memories of him, but I always listened to that song at his house. My happiest times in life was when I was a kid, so anything that can take me back to those good ol days, even if it's just in my head, I love.

For me, there's a lot.

Some early Smashing Pumpkins songs come to mind. "Drown", for instance. The lyrics fit the way I felt about someone. A couple "someone's" actually. "Doorstep/Meladori Magpie" does the same thing, as does "Whir" and "Obscured". Smashing Pumpkins' cover of "Landslide" reminds me of them too, but also of lots of other things.

Early Smashing Pumpkins in general reminds me of my childhood..."Tonight, Tonight", "1979", "Cherub Rock", "Today", and more I can't think of offhand. That's one of the bands that was big then along with bands like Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Offspring, and others.

My Dad and I used to play ping pong in the basement, and when we did, we'd usually listen to his Beatles CDs. So they remind me of those days.

The song "Time" in particular by Pink Floyd was the first song that I really listened to over and over. Pink Floyd and Red Hot Chili Peppers were the first bands I really got into.

Some Red Hot Chili Peppers reminds me of my senior year in high school, when I first started developing my music taste. It was also one of the first groups that I bonded over with my friends.

Other bands that remind me of hanging out with friends were The Pillows, Teengenerate, Rancid, and Operation Ivy.

Old Less Than Jake reminds me of tearing around on my bike when it's just starting to get warm out and I had my whole summer ahead of me.

Jawbreaker's song "Do You Still Hate Me" reminds me of someone I miss.

lonelypanda said:
I'm a huge music junkie. So many songs remind me of different things. I think I'll go with the positive ones though. I'm a huge disney lover, so I dl the soundtracks to disney songs haha. My daughters 7 and like any little girl is obsessed with frozen. Anytime love is an open door hits my random I think of how many times I'm cleaning/dancing with her and playing this song on repeat. When i hear under the sea it reminds me of going to florida with her and hitting up disney world. I absolutely loved the little Mermaid ride, it reminds me of riding in that clam singing along like a little kid. I think I loved it more than she did.

When i hear that if you steal my sunshine song, it reminds of my childhood. Sneaking into the rich lake community to skate on their lake in the winter (skate with my shoes haha) old school greenday and smashing pumpkins always give me fond memories of my childhood too. When i hear the music box dancer it reminds me of being at my dad's house. I have very little memories of him, but I always listened to that song at his house. My happiest times in life was when I was a kid, so anything that can take me back to those good ol days, even if it's just in my head, I love.

Those sound like wonderful memories. I have great memories associated with Disney movies myself (Sword in the Stone, Great Mouse Detective, the Lion King, Robin Hood, The Jungle Book, and more) more so the movies but the songs were good too.

And I agree about the old school Green Day and Smashing Pumpkins. They made me think of the same time, my childhood. I like your taste ;)

TheSkaFish said:
Those sound like wonderful memories. I have great memories associated with Disney movies myself (Sword in the Stone, Great Mouse Detective, the Lion King, Robin Hood, The Jungle Book, and more) more so the movies but the songs were good too.

And I agree about the old school Green Day and Smashing Pumpkins. They made me think of the same time, my childhood. I like your taste ;)

I still watch all the old movies I watched as a kid and sing along to them. I think I love the singing parts now more than I did when I was a kid. Haha

I had the biggest crush on Billie joe armstrong when I was little. When I think about it now it's kinda weird how I had a crush on a grown ass man as a child haha I named my ken doll Billie joe, and i was barbie so we were married in my barbie world. lol

beautiful loser said:
Whenever I hear "Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls, I think about this old flame I had when I just up and moved to Ontario and we ended up dating while I was there and after my visitor's visa ran out (I moved to New Hampshire). We dated for a few months after my move, but the distance just became too much. I mentioned about her in one of the old threads. She was amazing, could go from old soul mature with wisdom in spades then turn right around and act like a giddy 20-something and it just made me smile when she did that...thought she was fantastic. Still think about her from time to time even if Slide isn't playing in the background.

Now, the past couple of weeks, it's been the song "Springsteen" by Eric Church. I got my co-worker into country music (I listen to everything, but she never cared much for country till I started playing a thumb drive full of songs, mainly alternative rock, mixed with a handful of country tunes). Anyway, this song is kind of ironic as Eric Church wrote this song about a girl he met at concert, then dated, and to this day whenever he hears a certain song by that artist he immediately thinks of her. Outside of that song, he never thinks of the girl. The artist wasn't Springsteen, but he made the song fit with different titles of Springsteen songs, plus he is a big fan of Springsteen.

Anywho, it's the first song I play on the computer and we listen to it sometimes three or four times in a row since she absolutely loves the song. Unfortunately, due to us becoming much closer over the past few months...yeah, I think of her as the song is playing. So, this song is very bittersweet. Crushing on a co-worker sucks.*shaking my head*

Crushes on co-workers, oh yeah I've been there lol.
Man I haven't thought of the Goo Goo Dolls in years! Definitely loved their songs. I'm gonna have a listen to "Springsteen" & check it out :)

lonelypanda said:

I've always wanted to go on the Little Mermaid ride!! I saw videos on YouTube of the actual ride inside & I was in love haha. Mulan was on last week & im shocked I still knew all the words after not watching it for yrs. Also all the older ones like Aladdin, Pocahontas. I used to know every single line beginning to end of The Lion King & used to sing & recite it all the time as a kid. I haven't seen Frozen & always wonder what's the appeal. Guess I gotta find out sooner or later ;)

OMG "Steal my Sunshine"! Wow I've not thought of them in yrs. still can see the music video in my head.

TheSkaFish said:
For me, there's a lot.

Some early Smashing Pumpkins songs come to mind. "Drown", for instance. The lyrics fit the way I felt about someone. A couple "someone's" actually. "Doorstep/Meladori Magpie" does the same thing, as does "Whir" and "Obscured". Smashing Pumpkins' cover of "Landslide" reminds me of them too, but also of lots of other things.

Early Smashing Pumpkins in general reminds me of my childhood..."Tonight, Tonight", "1979", "Cherub Rock", "Today", and more I can't think of offhand. That's one of the bands that was big then along with bands like Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Offspring, and others.

My Dad and I used to play ping pong in the basement, and when we did, we'd usually listen to his Beatles CDs. So they remind me of those days.

The song "Time" in particular by Pink Floyd was the first song that I really listened to over and over. Pink Floyd and Red Hot Chili Peppers were the first bands I really got into.

Some Red Hot Chili Peppers reminds me of my senior year in high school, when I first started developing my music taste. It was also one of the first groups that I bonded over with my friends.

Other bands that remind me of hanging out with friends were The Pillows, Teengenerate, Rancid, and Operation Ivy.

Old Less Than Jake reminds me of tearing around on my bike when it's just starting to get warm out and I had my whole summer ahead of me.

Jawbreaker's song "Do You Still Hate Me" reminds me of someone I miss.

"1979" was my anthem as a kid. I couldn't WAIT to get my own car, roll down the windows, & blast that song w my friends. Still blast it when it's on the radio. It's so chill, I love it. "Ava Adore" was a favorite too. I wanted a love who wanted me with passion like that lol. Still love Nirvana & RHCP (hence my username :) ) Used to listen to Rancid because one of my old friends was a Rock-a-billy chick & listened to them all the time.
Green Day is a good childhood memory. My mom & I would drive about an hour every weekend to visit a house we were gonna have built & I played their album "Dookie" every time. She even knew many songs. I thought she was so cool to connect with me like that. Their lyrics aren't the "cleanest" but she never complained haha. She DID make me take back my Blink 182 cd though!

I have quite a few, I tend to find I associate a memory, experience, relationship, friendship or something that never was with a song. But for me it is too personal for me to share on here. I am enjoy everyone elses though :).

I've got hundreds of them. Maybe I'll post a few later when I'm back home.

BreakingtheGirl said:
I've always wanted to go on the Little Mermaid ride!! I saw videos on YouTube of the actual ride inside & I was in love haha. Mulan was on last week & im shocked I still knew all the words after not watching it for yrs. Also all the older ones like Aladdin, Pocahontas. I used to know every single line beginning to end of The Lion King & used to sing & recite it all the time as a kid. I haven't seen Frozen & always wonder what's the appeal. Guess I gotta find out sooner or later ;)

OMG "Steal my Sunshine"! Wow I've not thought of them in yrs. still can see the music video in

I love the rides they have in America! They have nothing like that where I'm from. I want to go disney in California next, I heard it's better.

Charlotte's web isn't disney, but that's one movie I could quote word for word, alot of those songs became lullabys that I sing to my little one.

You should watch frozen, it's not as typical a disney movie as the other prince/princess ones. They take a different angle on the true love aspect.

lonelypanda said:
I still watch all the old movies I watched as a kid and sing along to them. I think I love the singing parts now more than I did when I was a kid. Haha

I had the biggest crush on Billie joe armstrong when I was little. When I think about it now it's kinda weird how I had a crush on a grown ass man as a child haha I named my ken doll Billie joe, and i was barbie so we were married in my barbie world. lol

I remember wanting to be Robin Hood, the fox. I always liked the idea of anthropomorphic animals, so I always liked that about the Disney cartoons. There's just something undeniably sweet about it. I'm glad you still hang on to them :)

BreakingtheGirl said:
"1979" was my anthem as a kid. I couldn't WAIT to get my own car, roll down the windows, & blast that song w my friends. Still blast it when it's on the radio. It's so chill, I love it. "Ava Adore" was a favorite too. I wanted a love who wanted me with passion like that lol. Still love Nirvana & RHCP (hence my username :) ) Used to listen to Rancid because one of my old friends was a Rock-a-billy chick & listened to them all the time.
Green Day is a good childhood memory. My mom & I would drive about an hour every weekend to visit a house we were gonna have built & I played their album "Dookie" every time. She even knew many songs. I thought she was so cool to connect with me like that. Their lyrics aren't the "cleanest" but she never complained haha. She DID make me take back my Blink 182 cd though!

Yeah "1979" was a good one, I remember it used to be on the radio all the time. That and "Tonight, Tonight", back when those songs were new. I like listening to those songs especially at this time of year for some reason. They feel very autumnal to me.

And yes, I picked up on your username as an RHCP song. Nice :) My friends and I really got into Stadium Arcadium, but we like all the old albums too.

I'm surprised your mom listened to Green Day with you like that though haha, their lyrics are indeed less than squeaky clean. In fact I used to not like a lot of the bands I like now, I used to not listen to anything at all because of my first memories of my classmates getting into bands, because I used to think they just used it as an excuse to swear and be mean - like they weren't really fans, they just wanted to shock and offend parents and teachers. I was a very un-rebellious person, still am in some ways. Then when I got older I realized I was missing the forest for the trees...to focus on the swearing is to miss the point. It's about the energy.

But yeah, "Dookie" is a favorite of mine. I like "Kerplunk" and "1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours" as well. The rest is allright but the first couple of albums are in my opinion their best. I felt like they had the most energy and drive in their early days.

I don't know about that Blink 182 though! I always felt like those guys were a little cheesy, like the kids from school who just wanted to be heard and seen swearing and being "edgy". Jam-packed with MORE vulgarity! MORE crude sexual jokes! MORE nacho flavor! Sorry, I've just never liked the Blink :p I think I would have sided with your mom on that one!

The rest of the music you mentioned is pretty cool though!

Serenia said:
I have quite a few, I tend to find I associate a memory, experience, relationship, friendship or something that never was with a song.

Yeah, I find myself doing that too a lot, as you can see. It's mostly fun, but when things go south with the person you associate the song or band with, it's kinda bittersweet to listen to those songs at times. I get that completely.

They're super cheesy!! I guess you can say it was influenced by my group of friends I hung out with at that time. Some kids have friends who are bad drug & rebellious influences, I had friends with bad music influence lol. Blink reminds me of Sum 41, just less angry about society & rage-y?
Oh yeah, definitely knew a lot of kids creating "garage bands", waiting for their chance to be played on "TRL" on mtv hah.

I wasn't rebellious at all either. I did bad things once in a while but not to rebel. Good thing you didn't cuss when you were younger, shows respect for yourself & probably had better use of vocabulary. I did, but never in front of family or friends' families. Thanks for explaining the energy of it all! I couldn't put into words why I enjoy using vulgar words haha. It's very therapeutic & relieves stress for me I think. Welcome to the club :cool:

Grade 9 we did the drum beat, in class to make the substitute teacher run in fear lol..Principal gave us one weeks detention... Soooo worth it..ah my rebellious youth..[video=youtube]

Arachne said:
Grade 9 we did the drum beat, in class to make the substitute teacher run in fear lol..Principal gave us one weeks detention... Soooo worth it..ah my rebellious youth..[video=youtube]

LMAO that's amazing. Straight out of a movie or something. I would have graciously accepted a week of detention for a funny memory like that! :)

BreakingtheGirl said:
They're super cheesy!! I guess you can say it was influenced by my group of friends I hung out with at that time. Some kids have friends who are bad drug & rebellious influences, I had friends with bad music influence lol. Blink reminds me of Sum 41, just less angry about society & rage-y?
Oh yeah, definitely knew a lot of kids creating "garage bands", waiting for their chance to be played on "TRL" on mtv hah.

I wasn't rebellious at all either. I did bad things once in a while but not to rebel. Good thing you didn't cuss when you were younger, shows respect for yourself & probably had better use of vocabulary. I did, but never in front of family or friends' families. Thanks for explaining the energy of it all! I couldn't put into words why I enjoy using vulgar words haha. It's very therapeutic & relieves stress for me I think. Welcome to the club :cool:

Oh, yeah haha. I'm sorry if I came off as rude, I only thought later that I may have come down a little hard on something you really liked.

Yeah, the kids that were around my grade I don't think were even in bands. I think they just wanted to swear, make sexual innuendos, and act all "hard" and "edgy". I never liked that because I felt it was fake and forced and also I was happy, my world wasn't dark. Everything was fine.

I tried not to cuss for a long time but eventually caved when I started getting really frustrated with some things about life...social hierarchies/relationships, money and work, dumb luck and the people who have it, all these systems and all this bullsh- see what I mean? :p

Anyway. Thanks for sharing your music memories.

TheSkaFish said:
BreakingtheGirl said:

Oh, yeah haha. I'm sorry if I came off as rude, I only thought later that I may have come down a little hard on something you really liked.

Yeah, the kids that were around my grade I don't think were even in bands. I think they just wanted to swear, make sexual innuendos, and act all "hard" and "edgy". I never liked that because I felt it was fake and forced and also I was happy, my world wasn't dark. Everything was fine.

I tried not to cuss for a long time but eventually caved when I started getting really frustrated with some things about life...social hierarchies/relationships, money and work, dumb luck and the people who have it, all these systems and all this bullsh- see what I mean? :p

Anyway. Thanks for sharing your music memories.

Oh no worries, I didn't read it as rude at all! Made me laugh actually hahah.

Latest posts

Back