What defines you as a person?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it easy for anyone to sum themselves up in a few words? I haven't achieved anything yet.. but then again I don't know if I would want to be defined by achievement alone. Isn't everyone searching for answers to those questions? Among others.
I wish I knew.

I think most people would struggle to answer this.

Myself. I started telling myself I didn't want to be the product of dysfunction, my own or someone else's, and I don't just want to be a cause or a belief, either.

I'm motivated by learning, fun, and organization.

I have no idea what defines me, but I know what motivates me. Having a child motivates me more than anything, I think I would succumb to old habits and my depression more if I didn't. Around 10 yrs ago I never left the basement, I put a computer down there (no windows) and was on the computer all night and slept during the day, was out of work for about a year doing this. When I finally came out and started working and met someone we ended up becoming addicts together, that carried to my 2nd relationship. I used those drugs to cope with depression, after straightening out my life and having a child I could never fathom doing that now. I have to work, I have to provide for her and give her the best life possible. When I'm having my worst days and I just want to give up, I remember why I do what I do. It also forces me to make plans to take her out so I'm getting out of the house and not laying in bed all day being depressey. Speaking of getting out, another thing that motivates me is sunshine ! When it's a super hot sunny day I'm dying to get out and go fishing ! Cold weather and winter makes me a bum. I wish I had friends though, someone to do things with. I would love to try lots of new things and I love being outside but it's hard to make friends. One of the ways I found that helped my depression was keeping my mind busy, if you're out and doing exciting things you're not letting yourself swirl deeper into those negative thoughts.

I think what defines me is my ability to empathise. Im not always great at it, but its guided my actions so I guess thats the best answer I can give. It is why I became a vegan and I do voluntary work. It is alao why I wanted to become a therapist (though that didnt work out)

Interestingly empathy isnt what motivates me. I am motivated by integrity and other good values. I suppose I see myself as lacking those and so I am always trying to become a better person.

What defines me? I get up. Maybe I take a while to do it, but I always get up and fight some more. Sometimes I forget that's who I am. I wish I had less personal troubles to offer this quality to others, I guess it could be useful. Someone once told me I have a wartime temperament, I'd give the best in wartime. Bah, I hope that helping out immigrants will be enough, don't need any stupid war.

My heart defines me. It is too nurturing, too caring, way too giving, too empathetic, too sympathetic, too loving ...to a fault.

My mom & the little hope I have for my future motivates me. No matter how many times & years I continually end up getting sh*tted on, I still have a minuscule amount of hope that things could change someday.

BreakingtheGirl said:
My heart defines me. It is too nurturing, too caring, way too giving, too empathetic, too sympathetic, too loving ...to a fault.

My mom & the little hope I have for my future motivates me. No matter how many times & years I continually end up getting sh*tted on, I still have a minuscule amount of hope that things could change someday.

I like this. :)
I'm not sure I understand...but my actions toward other people, my thoughts about them, me and world define me. My dreams define me.
My past defines me, but I'm not sure I like that answer.
I'll take that about heart, my heart defines me. :)

I'm not sure how to answer this.
Thinking about it for a while, I'd say

my ability to understand, to empathize, to learn, to improve, to search for meaning

What defines me... hmm. My personality and character, I suppose.

What motivates me, it's always been about helping other people until I came to a point where I couldn't even help myself. So what motivated me then? I think people's continued support and also something to look forward to. It can be just one simple thing as talking to someone or playing a game or just about anything of interest at the point of time.

Major motivation? To do what I've always wanted to do.. move out. Social work, living life as much as I'd like to. Traveling.

I have to say there was a point of time when my life was at its lowest and I had zero motivation. It is never an easy thing to muster up. It surely took time for me and a lot of reflections, mistakes and mindset-altering thoughts.

I like to think I'm defined by the traits I've picked up from others, who in turn make me who I am.
As for motivations... best if I kept that a secret. To be honest, to an extent, I'm not entirely certain myself, but if it's what I think it is, it's best left unsaid.

Of course, this is alongside my spontaneous random acts and love for cats.

My mind and thoughts define me, but I do not know how best to describe them.

What motivates me is the desire to do my best in everything I undertake. The effect of this is that I repeatedly try until I cannot go further, for ironically, how would one know that that was their best effort when they have not tried to achieve something better?

BreakingtheGirl said:

Same as me ^^

A heart of gold that was ripped out and stomped on far too many times. A humanity-hating humanitarian. A man who hates absolutely because he loves humbly. A ******* hypocrite, as this world would have it.

The unflinching, ill-informed judgement of all those around me, of course! We are all just waves of atoms, so definition can only be perceptual, a flawed concept for sure.

I define myself. I make myself who I am through struggles and hard work to overcome said struggles. No one else defines me but me, because I'm the only person that knows everything about me.

As for what motivates me, I suppose my kids do, aside from myself, of course.

Passion and everything it entails.

I'm an intense person, good or bad, and not everyone can handle that. Without it, however, I simply would not be me, and it's both my greatest strength and weakness simultaneously.
I'm a being comprised of the most contradictory traits all at once.

A Formless and Shapeless Cosmic Nothingness...
That is both what defines me, and what motivates me.
I always hate answering these two questions...

Latest posts

Back