Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lonely Old People
I was driving home from work yesterday when I heard on the Radio how an old woman (92 years old) called the Police (via 999) because she felt lonely, and this woman was married living with her husband. Eventually a Police officer went her house for a cup of tea and a chat with her.

A lot of people were against this, the general gist was:
  • She has a husband, there was no need to call Police.
  • It's a waste of tax payers money.
  • It's taking officers from actual emergencies.
  • Officers are not trained for social care.
  • 999 is for general emergencies only.

Personally I think social services should have been called to deal with it. There's already a big deal going on in this country about having more Officers 'on the beat' rather than sitting behind a desk doing paperwork. And it's not helping their image that one time an officer DOES go out and deal with an issue that it's simply to chat with an OAP.

Then there's the issue with using an emergency number, I'm led to believe that if it isn't a genuine emergency then it doesn't get reported (To whatever service, Police, Ambulance, Fire...) but somehow this one was. I find it astonishing just how many people call this number for the most mundane things (Not referring to this particular case) other than what it was designed for. Are OAP's exempt from the don't-call-unless-it's-an-emergency law just because they're old?

Don't get me wrong; I'm not completely cold hearted here, I'm just looking at it realistically. I think that a Police officer calling round for a cup of tea has a bigger effect than anyone from social services would, maybe there should be some sort of service that offers this kind of thing. But then again I don't think it would have enough staff to realistically combat this issue, and even worse; who would fund it?
[Image: 2vj1q3q.jpg]
It was kind of the officer to do that, but I think there should be a separate social service to deal with things like that, who have more a more specialized background in dealing with these types of issues than a police officer. It's kind of like using a tool that got the job done, but not the best choice for the job.

Plus, having a social service to deal with this could open up new career fields and give more people a chance to get decent jobs.
(11-14-2015, 04:19 AM)TheSkaFish Wrote: Plus, having a social service to deal with this could open up new career fields and give more people a chance to get decent jobs.

I agree with this but things like that always struggle for funding. Unfortunately we live in a can't-do-right-for-wrong society, if the officer didn't go round then he would have been criticized; as it is he DID go and he's still criticized.
[Image: 2vj1q3q.jpg]
(11-14-2015, 04:30 AM)9006 Wrote:
(11-14-2015, 04:19 AM)TheSkaFish Wrote: Plus, having a social service to deal with this could open up new career fields and give more people a chance to get decent jobs.

I agree with this but things like that always struggle for funding. Unfortunately we live in a can't-do-right-for-wrong society, if the officer didn't go round then he would have been criticized; as it is he DID go and he's still criticized.

Yeah, it's unfortunate the way it goes. I believe you said you're in the UK if I'm not mistaken, and things are pretty much like that in the States too. Public servants making ridiculous salaries, inefficient budgets, but social services always going underfunded and when someone brings it up they always respond with, "well, do you want more taxes?"

I really, strongly believe that people should not go into public service because they want to get rich. If that's what they want they should just go into business.

Anyway. I definitely think it was right of the officer to go, if no one more qualified was available. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the lady's request should have been ignored. I just think it's too bad we can't have better social services in place for this stuff.
I'm glad you brought this up OP, I am far from cold hearted, but I also was like WTF when I read about this.

If I had rang the police like that I'm have gotten in trouble, and I'm more lonely than some married couple.
This is exactly what we need in the world. We're talking about a couple that is in their 90s, one who has gone blind (I read the articles). Yeah, I can't imagine how lonely I would feel in that situation. I have so much respect for this officer.

Could the officer find better things to do? Sure. There's also a billion worse places he could have been in.
I read somewhere, there was an actual issue with her blind husband, she was struggling with caring for him and did not know where to turn, but it did not warrant 999 or the police or an ambulance.

I am a compassionate person, but I think it was handled wrongly. In my opinion the call handler should have (if possible) transfered the call to 101 or asked the Lady to redial 101, where they have more time to take details and plot the best course of action. Whether they could get in contact with SS or one of the charties that are their to help people in exactly this situation. If they could not I am sure they could have found the number for the Lady to ring herself. If she did not have the capacity to do this, then I think an appropriate step would have been a Police Community Support Officer who as part of their job keep an eye on the known vulnerable people on their patch. The PCSO have many avenues of where to get help from this point if needed.

What is sad though, that the situatiob escalated to this point.
(11-14-2015, 01:28 PM)AmytheTemperamental Wrote: This is exactly what we need in the world. We're talking about a couple that is in their 90s, one who has gone blind (I read the articles). Yeah, I can't imagine how lonely I would feel in that situation. I have so much respect for this officer.

Could the officer find better things to do? Sure. There's also a billion worse places he could have been in.

+1

I feel much the same. Obviously, the emergency number is intended for just that. If his action caused an actual emergency to go unattended, I would understand the uproar.

However, this sounds like an isolated incident that has been blown way out of proportion by social media junkies. In my opinion, if you make it to 90+ in the world, you get a pass. We should all be so lucky.
[Image: Cat-Memes-High-Five-with-Hammer_zpsb91b11b9.jpg]
(11-15-2015, 12:00 AM)MissGuided Wrote: I feel much the same. Obviously, the emergency number is intended for just that.

Are we sure this lady isn't just a bit addled? I find most people by the time they get to 90 are addled by dementia / brain issues and simply can't make the best choices.

When my parents were elderly we did have to set them up with social services. Not only could they not figure out who to call, they had issues like "hearing" on the phone which stopped them from calling around. In addition it was like a generational thing, when they were younger these things weren't in place and so they had no experience reaching out to strangers at a social service agency.

I hate the way media outlets pick stories these days in a way that seems designed to distract us from what is really important.
First time I heard the calling the police angle, but years ago I worked for Circuit City I started out in the customer service dept, a older gentleman brought in a VCR to be returned, after I returned the item he left and went out to the sales floor, one of the other employees came up to me and said you will see him every time you work Monday or Friday mornings, I said "Really why?" she said he comes in on Friday and buys a VCR and returns Monday morning, then buys another VCR, returns it on Friday buys another and is back on Monday again.

I looked at her and said "You know why he does that?" she thought it was because he was lonely and and coming in to talking to the salesperson and buying something so not to think he was tying up his time time probably, I felt for the guy, I have known loneliness before, it can be odd to find out how people combat it.
No matter where you go, there you are!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are people nicer to you online than in the real world? TheHydromancer 131 35,186 07-27-2019, 07:12 AM
Last Post: Red Mouse
  Why do poor people get only what's left? African_weasel 47 12,885 06-21-2019, 12:54 AM
Last Post: ahsatan
test So, You Have People Trying to Murder You - Who Do You Call for Help? AlertChristians 4 1,034 05-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Sci-Fi
Cool Reasons Why Some People are So Thin and Twiggy Narrow AlertChristians 7 1,050 04-30-2019, 03:13 AM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  People are Being Attacked by Those with Supernatural Abilities or by Demons AlertChristians 105 4,436 04-30-2019, 02:08 AM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  Racism: Dark skinned people are frowned upon and not the other way around. Azariah 18 2,264 04-09-2019, 05:09 AM
Last Post: ITellYouHhwut
  Illuminati vs The People (Freemason Capstone Osiris Archangel Michael) Zion Matrix Phaedron 1 2,898 10-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Last Post: 9006
  Art Bell - The Shadow People Phaedron 11 6,977 07-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Phaedron
  I'm wondering if people thinks video game is art. deerhooves 8 3,455 07-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Phaedron
  Explaining gay people to kids Felix 47 10,593 09-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Last Post: LeaningIntoTheMuse