Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I lost the key at work
I've already looked everywhere for the key. Under furniture, in drawers, in pockets of all of my clothes, in every item in the laundry bin, etc. It's simply nowhere to be found. What bothers me so much about it is I'm usually excellent at keeping track of important things like that. I'm not the type to go and lose track of things other people trust me with.

But it's probably a moot point now anyways. I received notification the day after I posted this that my contract was going to be ended on Friday (and it's Monday now), so I'm back to being unemployed. I sort of cheated about turning in the key, too. I had a duplicate made of another key that was the same type (left over from where I used to live). So I gave them that one instead, and they didn't bother checking it. If at some point that do check and find out it's not the correct key and call me, I can just claim I must've accidentally given the wrong key because it was the same exact design as one of my other keys.

I guess all of this really does just show that I'm not allowed to ever be hopeful, though.
(11-24-2015, 09:46 AM)el Jay Wrote: I guess all of this really does just show that I'm not allowed to ever be hopeful, though.

I don't see how you go from "I lost a key" to this.
Actually, I take that back because depression and anxiety can distort one's thinking. A depressed or anxious mind can turn a manageable event into what it believes to be a catastrophe.
Did your thought that you might have to pay $1,000 for new keys come true? No. But the issue here goes much deeper than a lost key.
I'm sorry that you're unemployed now and I hope you're able to find something again soon, please keep us updated on how you're doing.
The next time life throws a problem at you (and it will, it always does), I hope you're able to manage it effectively without jumping to "I'm not ever allowed to be hopeful or have good things happen to me".

-Teresa
En la boca cerrada no entran moscas.
(11-24-2015, 09:46 AM)el Jay Wrote: I guess all of this really does just show that I'm not allowed to ever be hopeful, though.
Hey, I don't know why you think that because you got away with not having to pay a ton of money to replace a dumb little key. That's a good thing. That should give you some hope that things will be fine, not take it away.
Just take this as a sign to be a little more careful with the 'important things' in the future. Lesson learned. Sure maybe this job didn't work out right now but if you keep looking there will be another.
Create your own hope. That's how hope works. Smile
"But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."
-- Lewis Carrol, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
If they try come after you tell them to go jump in lake, they accepted the key and didn't check it that is there loss.

Still think it's a scam don't care what the situation is. If the keys were that expensive or they'd have to replace the lock then why give everyone a key, that is just stupid on their part. I don't know of any place who gives every employee access to the building either. My boss didn't give me a key to his place right away and he's known me for going on thirteen years now. I still don't have a proper access code for the alarm system either, I just use his that he told me. So any place that is going to give everyone a key and force them sign a contract is just looking to make some easy extra cash off of their employees. Especially if they are just renting this place, odds are the owners would change the locks after so many renters or the next ones coming in would have them changed for security reasons.

[Image: p5XQ_g.gif]
(11-26-2015, 11:38 PM)Sci-Fi Wrote: If they try come after you tell them to go jump in lake, they accepted the key and didn't check it that is there loss.

Still think it's a scam don't care what the situation is. If the keys were that expensive or they'd have to replace the lock then why give everyone a key, that is just stupid on their part. I don't know of any place who gives every employee access to the building either. My boss didn't give me a key to his place right away and he's known me for going on thirteen years now. I still don't have a proper access code for the alarm system either, I just use his that he told me. So any place that is going to give everyone a key and force them sign a contract is just looking to make some easy extra cash off of their employees. Especially if they are just renting this place, odds are the owners would change the locks after so many renters or the next ones coming in would have them changed for security reasons.

It was a small office in the same building as their main office that was rented for the seasonal temp employees. It was a key to that office only, since the building itself is a corporate complex building with multiple offices, and the lease on that office expires soon (regardless of how long anyone is kept on).

And to the others, the reason why I'm so hung up on "I'm not allowed to think something good will happen" is because it's true. This situation is just the latest example. I can't even remember the last time I thought to myself "hey, this is going well, maybe I can finally be happy about it and not constantly worried it's going to end abruptly" where I started thinking more positively and DIDN'T have it end abruptly shortly thereafter (usually on the order of within a week afterwards). Relationships, projects, plans with friends, you name it. Sure, sometimes things work out, but those examples I usually stay pessimistic about and assume they won't happen or plans will fall apart up until they've happened already. So it's not like I'm not allowed to have or experience good things. I'm just not allowed to think positively or be optimistic. I have to constantly be on guard and expect failure from anything and everything, or else I'm robbed of the thing I'm finally feeling good about.
(11-28-2015, 08:26 AM)el Jay Wrote: And to the others, the reason why I'm so hung up on "I'm not allowed to think something good will happen" is because it's true. This situation is just the latest example. I can't even remember the last time I thought to myself "hey, this is going well, maybe I can finally be happy about it and not constantly worried it's going to end abruptly" where I started thinking more positively and DIDN'T have it end abruptly shortly thereafter (usually on the order of within a week afterwards). Relationships, projects, plans with friends, you name it. Sure, sometimes things work out, but those examples I usually stay pessimistic about and assume they won't happen or plans will fall apart up until they've happened already. So it's not like I'm not allowed to have or experience good things. I'm just not allowed to think positively or be optimistic. I have to constantly be on guard and expect failure from anything and everything, or else I'm robbed of the thing I'm finally feeling good about.
You're not really listening to what I've said. And maybe I didn't explain it very much, but I figured you would still get the message.

I used to think pessimistically about everything, too. Like you I always thought that if something good happened there was always going to be something bad next. And more often than not it came true. But you know what? I moved on. Every single time.
Eventually I just got plain tired of worrying about 'what was next?' and I just went with it. I started doing things just because I wanted to and stopped worrying about the consequences or the 'inevitable outcome'. And you know what? My life got so much better. It just did.
That wasn't "luck" either. I've never really had "luck" on my side. That was purely because when I stopped looking for the next bad thing to happen I was just moving on quicker, I was more willing to take chances, and I was generally a happier-minded person who wasn't always so pathetically negative all the time. People see that kind of thing, too. And they are more open to people who aren't negative.
And you know what happened next? I even started to think positively after a while. I started to think that maybe I wasn't just a loser. That maybe I wasn't just some freak. Maybe I wasn't worthless. Maybe, just maybe, I actually had potential. Potential to fulfill my dreams. A real chance to look at the future with hope. Something I absolutely never could have done before, because I never let myself do it.

And, I'll tell you now. Shit still happens. But I move on, as always. I will never be like I used to be anymore. And, no matter what happens I will have hope. Even if I look death in the face tomorrow I will smile at him and laugh. 'Cause that's just what I do now.

So let me tell you something you might not be able to tell yourself right now. You have potential. You can have hope. You can be happy. So just try it. Let yourself smile. Do not worry about the things to come because they aren't here yet.
"But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."
-- Lewis Carrol, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Had a breakdown at work Lonewolf33 1 147 05-23-2019, 05:25 PM
Last Post: sunlight_hope
  Work used to be my escape but now.. Naizo 2 197 05-17-2019, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Naizo
  I feel overwhelmed by all the work I have yet to do worthless_loser 5 591 01-31-2019, 09:31 AM
Last Post: worthless_loser
  I have already lost in life llost 4 851 10-25-2018, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Jessicat
Sad Feeling lost in life, tired of it Augusto 11 1,966 03-23-2018, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Richard_39
  I'm lost... Shigeru 6 1,483 11-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Shigeru
  Does therapy actually work? Musicman 13 3,643 03-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Last Post: pokétrek
  Work Losertron 9 2,479 01-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Losertron
  Lost Chrome 1 968 12-11-2016, 06:34 PM