Any good horror movie suggestions?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paraiyar

Just got done watching 1408. I have no idea this got a 6.8 on IMDb. Not even remotely scary, lots of stupid special effects to attempt to compensate for the complete and utter lack of plot and no real pay off at the end either. Actually a real waste of time which is sad because the premise was somewhat promising.

Last night, I watched Lake Mungo which actually wasn't bad as a film but not scary in my opinion. A few nights before that I watched the remake of The Woman in Black (never seen the original) which was pretty weak although I quite liked the ending.

Eh, I didn't like REC either which most people seem to love, just didn't find it very frightening at all. I didn't even enjoy Ringu either from memory although I may not have been paying enough attention. Maybe I'm the problem here.

Anyone got any good suggestions for horror films?

I liked 1408 actually, but it's more of a giant psycho trip and if you're not into that, you won't be genuinely scared. So the simple question is: What makes you uneasy? Plain gore, jump scares, general eeriness, insanity, possession of inanimate objects (Poltergeist-like), stark contrasts (as in "Friendly neighbors gone crazy")...the list goes on. If you can actually answer that, I might have some more suggestions.

My personal favorites are mostly psychological stuff, so that likely won't scare you. Frankly, I'm not scared by most of them either, but I still like them. Anyways, here's a short list:

• Jacob's Ladder
  • Session 9
  • Audition
  • The Hitcher
  • Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer
  • The Thing
  • The Mist
  • Who Can Kill A Child?
  • Candyman
  • Cube

Well, what have you liked in the past? Anyway, here are the first titles that came to mind:

The House of the Devil
Inside
Repulsion
Let the Right One In
Nosferatu (or the 1979 remake from Werner Herzog)
28 Days Later
Creep

Paraiyar said:
Just got done watching 1408. I have no idea this got a 6.8 on IMDb. Not even remotely scary, lots of stupid special effects to attempt to compensate for the complete and utter lack of plot and no real pay off at the end either. Actually a real waste of time which is sad because the premise was somewhat promising.

Last night, I watched Lake Mungo which actually wasn't bad as a film but not scary in my opinion. A few nights before that I watched the remake of The Woman in Black (never seen the original) which was pretty weak although I quite liked the ending.

Eh, I didn't like REC either which most people seem to love, just didn't find it very frightening at all. I didn't even enjoy Ringu either from memory although I may not have been paying enough attention. Maybe I'm the problem here.

Anyone got any good suggestions for horror films?

I have the same problem, LOVE horror movies, but don't find them to be very scary... I will suggest a few, though you may hate them.

I do like the "found footage" genre so a few i will suggest are those types.

Grave Encounters
Grave Encounters 2
Session 9
Orphan
Sinister
The Conjuring
The Exorsicm of Emily Rose
Mama
The Ring
V/H/S

Those are just a few. You probabally wont find them "scary" per say, but I thought they were entertaining.

Remember that subject you hated in school? Find a lecture in said subject on youtube and watch that.

(Sorry that I don't have any actual suggestions)

Ever seen The Thing? It looks a bit dated, but it's a pretty cool movie. Just be sure to look for the 1982 version, and not the 2011 one.

Two sort of real life horror movies that literally I cannot watch again for the rest of my days.

"threads" sort of like the morning after but done realistic. What if there was a nuke war? And "Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer" -- had to watch that one with eyes closed in some parts.

More more "fun" horror. I really loved the original nightmare in elm street. That one was scary.

I watched a Japanese one called Pulse today. Had an atmosphere but not scary at all and quite slow and unsatisfying to be honest.

I also watched Grave Encounters just now and didn't find it remotely scary. Someone said they had to sleep with a night light on for 3 nights as a result of watching it which I struggle to believe.

I wonder what The Conjuring 2 will be like. The first actually wasn't bad although there was really only one moment that gave me a fright.

Going to try Session 9 now, thanks Danielle.

I really liked A Tale of Two Sisters. Korean horror, I believe.

^I admit I am scared by the smallest of things...

LOVE scary movies!
"Lovely Molly" creeped me out. A lot of scenes with no dialogue that you have to figure out mentally. No dialogue & creepy scenes with low to no music tend to scare me.
Also "Lords of Salem" gave me the creeps, but I was also stoned at the time so... lol. It's pretty disturbing, funny, weird, inappropriate, and gross. I like the idea of the plot though. I'm not too keen on Rob Zombie movies, but this one did creep me out. I think it could have been better with a different director than Zombie, but I enjoyed it for what it is.

Just watched The Descent. One or two better jump scares than most of the ones I've been watching lately but still not really scary.

"The Grudge". The plot has been done a thousand times before, but the cinematography and directing impart a relentless, implacable sense of mounting dread that just never stops, it keeps building up and the characters in the film are always about 2 or 3 steps behind the remorseless and pitiless forces of.....the grudgeholders who lost their lives so horribly and who'll never forgive anyone who's still alive and living in that house.

"The Ring" was pretty good too. It was so gloomy, dark and hopeless.

The original "Omen" with Gregory Peck was good too. The audience just knew that the Satanic loyalists were going to possess the little kid and nothing could stop them from doing it.

original Romero's zombie trilogy : night of the living dead, dawn of the dead, day of the dead, dawn of the dead being the best one in my view
Texas Chainsaw Massacree
the Babadook looks interesting but I haven't seen it
for me the scariest ones are the Halloween movies
the orphanage was pretty scary
the others is just beautiful
first Nosferatu
cronenberg the brood

Just watched Noroi. Great atmosphere but didn't really end up getting freaked out by it at all. What a shame.

Latest posts

Back