Women less forgiving towards unattractive men.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kamya

Reaction score
Women less forgiving towards unattractive men.

"Oh it's all about confidence! You have to have a sense of humor. Women can sense like this like aura mannn. They can feel the negative woo woo energy. They can sense when you aren't confident. Just be yourself." Bullshit. The big secret really is, you aren't attractive. That's all. It's simple really.

I'd like to see the reverse study of this. I'm sure it would be the same with men acting worse towards unattractive women. Bottom line, don't be unattractive.

It's not fair but there's nothing you can do about it. No more shooting glitter up people's asses. It's ok to accept reality. It's ok to be angry and bitter about it. Don't judge people for not being ok with the shitty hands they've been dealt.

Why does this article seem familiar to me? It was written back in May but I believe I have already read this.

I can't accept this to be true. Not at all.

From the article: "Two male faces -- one attractive, the other not -- bearing similar features were paired in two written scenarios. In the one, the man committed a major social no-no, in the other not," the researchers explained.

What were the "social no-no's"? Did they pull a chair out from under the woman in a restaurant and because the guy was attractive he got a pass? Did they secretly try to date the girl's sister/best friend/cousin? Did the unattractive guy get thrown to the curb because of this but the attractive guy got one more chance?

I really want to know what these social no-no's were.

Quoting from the article again: The study of 170 college-age women revealed that unattractive men earned a “negative double bias” upon violating a social norm. 170 women? That's it! Don't you think that if you are conducting a study you'd want to interview or poll more people than that?

Now, had they conducted this from coast-to-coast and interview women college age and up and had thousands and thousands of responses it may be different. But 170 women. Studies like this aren't worth the paper it is printed on.

With logic like that no study has any value.

The complete study has been published in the Springer's journal Gender Issues.

Have at it then if you want more details.

Delude yourself all you want. Like I give a fresia.

I seem to remember we had the same argument last time. As a rule of thumb I usually have 1000 participants in mind to make a study representative. A teacher told that to me during my school days in relation to writing papers including statistics. Which is not the point actually.

The halo effect has been around for a while and I don't doubt people are naturally inclined to connect beauty with flawlessness, innocence or general goodness in both genders and act accordingly. The only question I have is how much this is affected when these female participants conceive themselves as unattractive. Makes you wonder if you are less biased when you hit a bunch of branches falling down from the ugly tree yourself. That adds some relativity to the whole thing.

Do we even want to go into how less forgiving are men towards unattractive women? What to do, the world is a bad place.

kamya said:
With logic like that no study has any value.

He's right though, Mr. ya. 170 college girls are hardly a representative cross-section of society.

If it was 1000 you'd ask for 10,000. If it were 10,000 you'd ask for 50,000. There will always be some way to attack any study if you really want to. With the sample size given the margin of error is within 7.6 percent. The differences between unattractive or attractive were large enough that a 7.6 percent margin of error doesn't really change much. At that point there isn't really an reason to continue once results are that conclusive. But what do I know? :) Clearly I need more edumucation.

And yes peaches I agree it would be the same or worse if genders were switched.

BeyondShy said:
Why does this article seem familiar to me? It was written back in May but I believe I have already read this.

The last time this study came up, you read basically the same thing here.

kamya said:
If it was 1000 you'd ask for 10,000. If it were 10,000 you'd ask for 50,000. There will always be some way to attack any study if you really want to. With the sample size given the margin of error is within 7.6 percent. The differences between unattractive or attractive were large enough that a 7.6 percent margin of error doesn't really change much. At that point there isn't really an reason to continue once results are that conclusive. But what do I know? :) Clearly I need more edumucation.

And yes peaches I agree it would be the same or worse if genders were switched.

Yes I agree. Same for men and women. I believe the study.
It's what I have been saying on here for a few years.

Well if it tends to be like that it doesn't mean the world is doomed to end up that way. Plus not everyone is like that, so not everyone you meet will be like that. I think personality matters a whole lot more than looks or physical attractiveness. Nothing anyone say can change my mind about this.

"More attractive" men don't get privilege from me just cos they are deemed as more attractive by society. Plus, what makes one more attractive, honestly?
It's just bullshit when people talk about looks. Sure, it could be reality out there, but I refuse to let my mindset fall along the same lines as that. I live my own life the way I want it. If some guy treats me like honeysuckle because I am ugly to him, then so be it. fresia, life's too short.

Peaches said:
Do we even want to go into how less forgiving are men towards unattractive women? What to do, the world is a bad place.

Yes, the same can be said about men towards women. These kinds of ideas are pointless imo. How about changing it to how unforgiving people are towards the unattractive in general...

coffeeaddict said:
Peaches said:

Yes, the same can be said about men towards women. These kinds of ideas are pointless imo. How about changing it to how unforgiving people are towards the unattractive in general...

Or how about we focus on what good things we all possess and how we can exhibit them to others so that no matter what or how you look, you'd still be attractive to others?

Having not read up on the subject and the relevant research I can't really take an opinion. This was one study, which does seem a little vague in it's methodology. I wonder if there are better ones out there on a similar subject.

Still, I always regard myself as an ugly person. I have taken steps to improve my body image, but ultimately I was dealt a crap hand when it came to looks and it's probably one of the biggest sources of my general unhappiness. I'm never going to be able to change it though. In my limited experience with relationships and dating, I have found that despite being horrible guys, women will always prefer the attractive guy over the unattractive guy who's actually quite nice. I remember most girls I've shown an interest in visibly shuddering at the idea of being close to me. That wasn't exactly great for my already limited confidence. In fact I'm pretty sure I harbour some sort of resentment against women in general for it. Which is horrible, but... well. People hurt me too many times like that and it's not so easily forgotten.

Sure, there are people who say they don't care about looks, and fine. You say that then I'll believe you, but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt. I've never met, face to face, anyone with that outlook. I question if such a person really exists, or if it's something they just say.

I don't know, I'd like to think it's the case where looks are a factor, but they're not all that important. Or something like that. Unfortunately this isn't the case I've experienced. Quite a personal subject for me I'm afraid so... yeah, heh.

ladyforsaken said:
coffeeaddict said:
Peaches said:

Or how about we focus on what good things we all possess and how we can exhibit them to others so that no matter what or how you look, you'd still be attractive to others?

attractive people don't understand what unattractive people have to put up with.

ThatZealousOne said:
Having not read up on the subject and the relevant research I can't really take an opinion. This was one study, which does seem a little vague in it's methodology. I wonder if there are better ones out there on a similar subject.

Still, I always regard myself as an ugly person. I have taken steps to improve my body image, but ultimately I was dealt a crap hand when it came to looks and it's probably one of the biggest sources of my general unhappiness. I'm never going to be able to change it though. In my limited experience with relationships and dating, I have found that despite being horrible guys, women will always prefer the attractive guy over the unattractive guy who's actually quite nice. I remember most girls I've shown an interest in visibly shuddering at the idea of being close to me. That wasn't exactly great for my already limited confidence. In fact I'm pretty sure I harbour some sort of resentment against women in general for it. Which is horrible, but... well. People hurt me too many times like that and it's not so easily forgotten.

Sure, there are people who say they don't care about looks, and fine. You say that then I'll believe you, but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt. I've never met, face to face, anyone with that outlook. I question if such a person really exists, or if it's something they just say.

I don't know, I'd like to think it's the case where looks are a factor, but they're not all that important. Or something like that. Unfortunately this isn't the case I've experienced. Quite a personal subject for me I'm afraid so... yeah, heh.

I believe you. I think you are right, 100%.
Attractive people coming on here and saying 'blah, blah, blah - it's not true' - they have no idea, not a clue. They don't understand. Judging by that let's see the faces thread, many people on here are attractive. So I don't think they really qualify posting on this thread.

TheRealCallie said:
And then you have those that THINK they are unattractive but really aren't.....where do they fit into this kind of study?

It's a sad day when I'm hoping I'm one of those people. Never heard anyone say I'm attractive though, and I doubt anyone ever will.

I believe you. I think you are right, 100%.
Attractive people coming on here and saying 'blah, blah, blah - it's not true' - they have no idea, not a clue. They don't understand. Judging by that let's see the faces thread, many people on here are attractive. So I don't think they really qualify posting on this thread.

Well, I'm not saying they have no clue or anything. Granted, it's hard for an attractive person to have the best view on these things. They probably don't go through what I go through each day. All I'm merely saying is that this is what I have found to be the case. I don't know if I'm completely right, I hope I'm not.

On the topic of that thread though, I did see that and I do find it odd how there are so many attractive looking people on this forum. Sort of made me feel awful, like if they can't do it then what chance do I have? I don't know though, if those attractive people also have a hard time maybe it's not just looks. Hmm.

ThatZealousOne said:
TheRealCallie said:
And then you have those that THINK they are unattractive but really aren't.....where do they fit into this kind of study?

It's a sad day when I'm hoping I'm one of those people. Never heard anyone say I'm attractive though, and I doubt anyone ever will.

Let's see you :D

I think people in general treat others much by how attractive they find them. But I think there are exceptions. Maybe 8 in 10 will give you honeysuckle if they find you unattractive, while others will be more open. Then there's people who got a different aesthetic taste and find someone good looking, that the general public doesn't.

And I, like others, think it's OK to be bitter. Either you're bitter or you're ignorant. You pick.

Bitterness isn't a very productive state though, so one shouldn't dwell too much on it. Think about other areas of life where appearance means nothing. Music doesn't care how you look. Neither does a lot of careers and hobbies.

Then there's the other extreme that will treat you with pity and condescension.

Indeed. At least those can perhaps be manipulated if one is clever about it. Leveraging their pity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back