Sensitive People

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamc88

Reaction score
I'm writing because I feel considerably more depressed than usual. Something happened just before Christmas to make me sad and worried about the next month or so. It sucks for my whole family but I notice that I am almost catatonic a lot of the time in the last few days. All the little nice Christmas things I can't deal with because of the depressing thing whereas my family are coping normally and think its just one of those things. I am starting to realise that I am worse at coping with things than most other people.
I originally joined this site to just rant a bit about how I struggle to get anywhere in life but now I think I have a real emotional problem that has always been there. I should be much further on in life for my age but I keep falling into periods of depression and disappearing. Sometimes its a lack of energy or enthusiasm and sometimes its a real melancoholy sadness I have and when its worse than that I almost go into childlike states. I feel like crying at the moment but I won't because there are people around. Before, my Mum came in the room while I was listlessly going on Google Streetview to talk about something fairly trivial and then asked me if I was ok. What is bothering me so much, is it just the depressing thing? I was so wobbly I could hardly answer. I felt like crying and I barely cried at all in front of anyone else since I was about 11. If the weather wasn't so bad I'd go for a walk.

Other examples of my fragile mental state: Earlier this year, on hearing that an old relative's deteriorating condition has declined noticeably further I took it in and for the next few days I wasn't right and I kept thinking about the condition for weeks and pondering about my parents possibly getting it in the future. And when I went to the funeral of another relative that I wasn't even really that close to I struggled to keep it together for the bit where they play the music when everyone files past the coffin. Whereas the deceased's immediate family were very strong at the wake.
I'm so sentimental its really getting in the way of living life in the moment. My whole life I've been a worrier. I remember a few years ago when my only long term girlfriend dumped me I went into a childlike depression where I found and watched a film on Youtube that I remember watching one afternoon when I was about 8. It was an animated film about a toaster designed for children. Even when the relationship was going strong I remember being in my room alone watching the theme for the early 90's series of Rupert Bear and trying to make myself cry. I have these weird regressive childlike emotional waves.
What the hell is wrong with me? I am often completely normal and happy but these periods of different kinds of depression are bothering me and I worry about the future if I can't cope anymore and if I am on my own in my forties or fifties. I'm not suicidal but if I have the same kind of emotional range into the future will I feel like killing myself? One mantra I have started saying in my head recently is something along the lines of "I wish I was dead". I don't mean it and it usually goes with rolling my eyes back but its not a good sign.
I realize that the recent things I mentioned are legitimate reasons to be sad but I can't easily take a break from these emotions whereas other people seem to be able to compartmentalize better. I wonder if I should some sort of mild anti-depressant such as St John's Wort to take the edge off a bit. Any stories or ideas would be appreciated very much. Many thanks if you've read all that

Jamc88 said:
I'm writing because I feel considerably more depressed than usual. Something happened just before Christmas to make me sad and worried about the next month or so. It sucks for my whole family but I notice that I am almost catatonic a lot of the time in the last few days. All the little nice Christmas things I can't deal with because of the depressing thing whereas my family are coping normally and think its just one of those things. I am starting to realise that I am worse at coping with things than most other people.
I originally joined this site to just rant a bit about how I struggle to get anywhere in life but now I think I have a real emotional problem that has always been there. I should be much further on in life for my age but I keep falling into periods of depression and disappearing. Sometimes its a lack of energy or enthusiasm and sometimes its a real melancoholy sadness I have and when its worse than that I almost go into childlike states. I feel like crying at the moment but I won't because there are people around. Before, my Mum came in the room while I was listlessly going on Google Streetview to talk about something fairly trivial and then asked me if I was ok. What is bothering me so much, is it just the depressing thing? I was so wobbly I could hardly answer. I felt like crying and I barely cried at all in front of anyone else since I was about 11. If the weather wasn't so bad I'd go for a walk.

Other examples of my fragile mental state: Earlier this year, on hearing that an old relative's deteriorating condition has declined noticeably further I took it in and for the next few days I wasn't right and I kept thinking about the condition for weeks and pondering about my parents possibly getting it in the future. And when I went to the funeral of another relative that I wasn't even really that close to I struggled to keep it together for the bit where they play the music when everyone files past the coffin. Whereas the deceased's immediate family were very strong at the wake.
I'm so sentimental its really getting in the way of living life in the moment. My whole life I've been a worrier. I remember a few years ago when my only long term girlfriend dumped me I went into a childlike depression where I found and watched a film on Youtube that I remember watching one afternoon when I was about 8. It was an animated film about a toaster designed for children. Even when the relationship was going strong I remember being in my room alone watching the theme for the early 90's series of Rupert Bear and trying to make myself cry. I have these weird regressive childlike emotional waves.
What the hell is wrong with me? I am often completely normal and happy but these periods of different kinds of depression are bothering me and I worry about the future if I can't cope anymore and if I am on my own in my forties or fifties. I'm not suicidal but if I have the same kind of emotional range into the future will I feel like killing myself? One mantra I have started saying in my head recently is something along the lines of "I wish I was dead". I don't mean it and it usually goes with rolling my eyes back but its not a good sign.
I realize that the recent things I mentioned are legitimate reasons to be sad but I can't easily take a break from these emotions whereas other people seem to be able to compartmentalize better. I wonder if I should some sort of mild anti-depressant such as St John's Wort to take the edge off a bit. Any stories or ideas would be appreciated very much. Many thanks if you've read all that

I dont have an answer for you as I'm currently regressing with netflix myself, but your post was nicely articulated.

Jamc88 said:

What can I say.. I'm a bit like you too. If you don't mean it, your mantra is funny :p

As for medication, I always think it's better to ask a doctor before using it, but I'm way too sensible lol

I also have periods of depression and disappearing. Well. I always am disappeared lol I mean it's more like I have moments when I force myself to "become visible" again. As for depression.. this last week (until the day before yesterday) was a clear example :/

Uhm.. I'm not helping here, am I? ^^;;
As I see it, let's just try and do our best.. ;)

Jamc88 said:

I relate to this so much. Thanks for putting it into words.

Jamc88 said:
I should be much further on in life for my age but I keep falling into periods of depression and disappearing. Sometimes its a lack of energy or enthusiasm and sometimes its a real melancholy sadness I have and when its worse than that I almost go into childlike states.

I just wanted to tell you I really related to a lot of the stuff you wrote in your post. I too fall into periods of gloominess about life, and I sort of shut down for a while. During these times, I have difficulty doing the simplest things, like posting and replying to messages and emails, and even in the offline world I'll just be lethargic, I won't feel like doing very much. Sometimes in the past I would just lay down on the floor feeling sad, feeling like life passed me by. It's hard to wake up some mornings because of this feeling. I just want to stay in bed and hide.

I've been a worrier my whole life as well, though I'm trying to quit by practicing meditation and mindfulness. I'm trying to tell myself that I don't know that things will turn out badly or that I'm too far gone, and that I should just enjoy today.

I'm sentimental too, and like to hang on to things from my past and memories. I still have a soft spot for old cartoons like the ones you described (I remember the Brave Little Toaster too, haha). Things like talking cartoon animals and stuff like that, like Disney movies, the Land Before Time, or this other old cartoon about prehistoric times that had a creature in it called a "landfish", he was very endearing. They make me happy because they're comforting, sweet and warm and good-natured, but it makes me sad that childhood is over and I can't go back that simpler world. I don't want to have to harden up and pretend like things don't matter to me as much, because they do and I'll feel like I'll lose a bit of myself if I do that. I want to be able to stay friendly and warm, and I want to keep holding on to the things that mean something to me.

I don't know if this helps any but I just wanted to say, I feel the same way.

TheSkaFish said:
Jamc88 said:
I should be much further on in life for my age but I keep falling into periods of depression and disappearing. Sometimes its a lack of energy or enthusiasm and sometimes its a real melancholy sadness I have and when its worse than that I almost go into childlike states.

I just wanted to tell you I really related to a lot of the stuff you wrote in your post.  I too fall into periods of gloominess about life, and I sort of shut down for a while.  During these times, I have difficulty doing the simplest things, like posting and replying to messages and emails, and even in the offline world I'll just be lethargic, I won't feel like doing very much.  Sometimes in the past I would just lay down on the floor feeling sad, feeling like life passed me by.  It's hard to wake up some mornings because of this feeling.  I just want to stay in bed and hide.

I've been a worrier my whole life as well, though I'm trying to quit by practicing meditation and mindfulness.  I'm trying to tell myself that I don't know that things will turn out badly or that I'm too far gone, and that I should just enjoy today.  

I'm sentimental too, and like to hang on to things from my past and memories.  I still have a soft spot for old cartoons like the ones you described (I remember the Brave Little Toaster too, haha).  Things like talking cartoon animals and stuff like that, like Disney movies, the Land Before Time, or this other old cartoon about prehistoric times that had a creature in it called a "landfish", he was very endearing.  They make me happy because they're comforting, sweet and warm and good-natured, but it makes me sad that childhood is over and I can't go back that simpler world.  I don't want to have to harden up and pretend like things don't matter to me as much, because they do and I'll feel like I'll lose a bit of myself if I do that.  I want to be able to stay friendly and warm, and I want to keep holding on to the things that mean something to me.

I don't know if this helps any but I just wanted to say, I feel the same way.

Thanks, I haven't logged into this for a while but its good to know there are other people out there like this. I haven't been so bad lately although I have had a few gloomy periods. Before christmas I found out that I got a new job which should have been a good thing for most people but I got a bit freaked out about it which turned into being lethargic and worried for a week or so. 
    Ha! The Brave Little Toaster, yeah, I didn't want to actually name it. I actually think people like us who are my age in twenty years or so won't have many good cartoons to look back on. The early 90s was a golden age for kids TV and they had all those Warner Brothers reruns as well. I have a real nostalgia for a time when I haven't perceived myself to have "screwed up". Whenever I come up against something rough I usually retreat to a more comfortable time in my head like a few months or years earlier and imagine what I would do to be clear of the current rough patch as if I could actually predict the future.
    A lot of my nostalgia is for the pre internet age and a lot of it is for when my life should have been simpler by current standards (but it wasn't because I was worrying about kid or teenager stuff at the time). There's probably a lesson in that for my current self

Is it possible that you have manic depression or you're bipolar? Have you spoken to a doctor?
I was glad to see that your family takes notice of you and inquires about your moods.

EveWasFramed said:
Is it possible that you have manic depression or you're bipolar? Have you spoken to a doctor?
I was glad to see that your family takes notice of you and inquires about your moods.

I've never spoken to a doctor or anyone else about anything like this. I usually go a few months wthout having these miserable periods. I don't think I'm bipolar but I maybe have mild depression that I just kind of live with and am used to. Its not that bad really. I like to think my occasional worse periods are brought on by stress and I'm sort of retreating in my head to an easier time rather than just getting sad for a random reason but maybe thats what everyone thinks. I'm basically just a very nostalgic person and I worry quite a lot. But I don't really spend my free time watching kids cartoons. But like TheSkaFish said its just nice to occasionally remember a time before things got harder. I suppose some people had bad childhoods. Mine was quite good. My teens and twenties have been kind of hit and miss with a few bad decisions. Thanks for asking but I'm fine really.

Latest posts

Back