Can business be done through facebook?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonymousMe

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I apologize in advance if I don't sound clear, I had to write this thread quickly. I have a doubt regarding likes and friend requests on facebook, it’s pretty much what I wrote in the title, but I’ll explain the situation to make it more clear.

I currently helping my dad in his job, he owns a wood factory that makes furniture and he delivers the finished products directly to his clients. I’m aiding him in a way as administrator would; I organize his paperwork, keep track of his computer information, send messages to his clients, etc. Ever since last year, he’s wanted to expand his contacts via the internet, someone’s currently creating a web-site for him and he’s asked me to search for people on facebook whom we could do business with, I’m doing this without much motivation, because I simply think it’s not going to work. The reason I think this way is because businesses and people in facebook have thousands, if not, hundreds of thousands of friends and who knows how many other friend requests, so they can accept my dad (a few have done this), but not keep contact with him, let alone even notice him again.

So am I incorrect in this? I see his whole situation as a unrealistic expectation and I don’t want to feel like I’m wasting my time, I really won’t care if he gets angry at me either, if it’s something that can’t be done, then there’s no reason to feel bad.
By the way, I really will appreciate it if I get answers as soon as possible; I could give a couple of reputation points :p

I don't know if I would use your own facebook page to dig out more clients, but do you have a business facebook page for the factory? You could share it on your page and whoever and if clients like it, they can like the page and spread the word that way.

TheRealCallie said:
I don't know if I would use your own facebook page to dig out more clients, but do you have a business facebook page for the factory? You could share it on your page and whoever and if clients like it, they can like the page and spread the word that way.

I am using the facebook page of the factory, not his personal page.
I didn't get your last sentence. >.< How can I share my page? Isn't that what I'm currently doing?

No, not share your page, share the factory page. You make a post on the factory page of like a deal or something and then you can go to the business page on your own facebook and share the post, then others will share it, etc etc.

I'm not sure Facebook is a good platform to advertise to new customers for your dad's furniture business. Facebook is mostly an app for posting memes and selfies. Aren't there other ways to get new customers via the web to your dad's business.? Virtual yellow pages? Aren't there ways to push Web pages (like the factory's page) to the top of Google searches? What about purchasing targeted Google ads? When I need a service, I go to Google, not Facebook.

-Teresa

TheRealCallie said:
No, not share your page, share the factory page. You make a post on the factory page of like a deal or something and then you can go to the business page on your own facebook and share the post, then others will share it, etc etc.

Ah, now I get what you're saying, but it's not going to work :p I've seen his personal facebook and his friends are completely unrelated to furniture; almost all of them are family or people that dedicate to music. Not to mention, they all live in Mexico, all of my dad's clients are in the U.S., so the chances of someone that wants to do business with my dad seeing his page are minimal. That's how facebook usually works, right? Friends of friends get categorized, in this case, they're musicians.

Yeah, but isn't there a way you could figure out how to market to musicians too? They need furniture too, right?

But yeah, it might be better to do something like ads on other websites that people frequent a lot and whatnot. As for getting your business to the top of Google searches, unless you pay Google off, it's not likely to happen quickly.

Ah, OK, thanks for the information girls. I didn't even bother in searching for clients today, so I'll just lie to him and say that I sent "lots" of likes and friend requests.
As for looking for other ways to advertise his business, I think I'm going to do that later, because my dad and my little brother are going to a furniture event in Las Vegas at the end of this month, with the objective of searching new clients and to get ideas to develop other products; depending on how well they do, I might look for those other ways or not.
Again, thanks. I gave you two a reputation point too ;) I'm not sure what they're for, but whatever. XD

Thanks for the rep point :)
That furniture event in Vegas is probably a good place to find out how others in the industry advertise. Then maybe you can get your dad off the Facebook idea, if that's not working out. "Hey dad, I found out you can also advertise on x and reach new customers by doing y and I hear you can get much better results that way than Facebook". Just a thought.

-Teresa

Bitcoin is a crypto currency. More precisely the progenitor of the whole family is crypto-currency. Used only in electronic form, although it is possible to exchange for real money. Bitcoin has another abbreviation XBT *Removed*

BezNika said:
Bitcoin is a crypto currency. More precisely the progenitor of the whole family is crypto-currency. Used only in electronic form, although it is possible to exchange for real money. Bitcoin has another abbreviation XBT *Removed*

?

Hey AnonymousMe, I might be able to help you out here.

I run a small marketing agency and help businesses to use Facebook to attract more customers. Facebook is an incredibly powerful tool for businesses and there are thousands of businesses using it to get more clients every day. And yes, people do make purchasing decisions on Facebook. It's not just for posting memes and selfies.

Take a look into Facebook ads. You set your own budget so you can spend as little or as much as you want. You can target your ads so they will only be shown to people who would have an interest in your dad's business. You would be stunned at all the targeting options Facebook offers advertisers.

But it does require some testing. Don't go into it expecting to get new customers overnight. It certainly helps to do your research first. But when you do find an ad that works well, you can get some great results from it.

Let me know if I can help you out in any way. I'm not trying to drum up business, just wanting to help out :)

Latest posts

Back