family

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nondescript

Reaction score
How do you feel about your immediate family?

For me its upsetting that although my parents/sibling care for me I don't have my social needs met from them.

They know I'm lonely but are unable to help - its very isolating and adds to a feeling of being a loser/having failed somehow.

Dad was a *******. He was a self righteous, sanctimonious, holier-than-thou, two faced, lying, backstabbing fountain of hypocrisy. And he was openly contemptuous of me....utterly disrespectful.

Two older brothers were self involved with their own survival in a dysfunctional family....I don't blame them. One got out of the house when he was 14 and I was 6 or 7; the other escaped to boarding school when I was 11. They were OK to me but life without them in the house was simpler.

Mom is, was and always has been borderline bi-polar....four times a year she'd oscillate between deep depression and bubbling mania. Dad didn't know how to cope and never learned.

When I was 5 yrs old I walked in on Mom out on a ledge thinking about jumping. I've been her care giver ever since. Dad's been dead for 14 years and good riddance.

I've never actually trusted anybody, although now I'm involved with a girlfriend and trying to be a good man.

nondescript said:
How do you feel about your immediate family?

For me its upsetting that although my parents/sibling care for me I don't have my social needs met from them.

They know I'm lonely but are unable to help - its very isolating and adds to a feeling of being a loser/having failed somehow.

I like my family. We differ on a few things but have always usually been supportive of and caring for each other. I wish I hadn't caused them so much trouble earlier in my life.

And I do understand what you mean. I think there's many types of loneliness and that no one group or person can meet all of a person's social needs. For example, I have my family and I have my friends so both of those categories of needs are met for me. They both have their roles in my life that neither group could substitute for the other. However, I don't and have never had a girlfriend, so that need has been consistently unmet, and none of the groups I have in my life can relieve it. In the category of romantic love, I have been very lonely. I think it's nice to have all of the roles in your life but they're all different.

I have 5 sisters and 2 brothers ...I am the youngest BTW

My sister inlaw said it best " we ***** chew make fun of each other , get pissed off at each other BUT if anyone else fucks with us IT'S ON "

Get on great with my parents. Sometimes I think I'd have a bigger social circle and be better with people if I'd had an older sibling though. But my Mum was 45 when she had me so I didn't wind up with any siblings younger or older.

Latest posts

Back