Perspective On My Volunteer Hours Used to Hire Someone Else

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alone By Faults

Reaction score
Some of this is being a petty person and dealing with hurt....

I volunteer for a local non profit. Answer phones, do filing, and talk to people for two full shifts during the work week. I get some satisfaction from this. People that run the place indicated that wish we could pay you but... Figured it was a platitude but times were tough.

They applied and got an additional grant come through. This would enable them to hire additional help. That they are doing. I was a little hurt that I was never told I was considered or worse they thought of me and declined without telling me.

Now....I know enough to not bring it up as it is like asking people why didnt I get invited and such...it does not change people's minds and makes the situation even worse...

Should I do the humble thing and just do the tasks that I perform or should I quietly transition an exit a month or so later.....

This strikes right at my fear of being evaluated and coming up short in peoples eyes

Alone By Faults said:
I volunteer for a local non profit. Answer phones, do filing, and talk to people for two full shifts during the work week. I get some satisfaction from this. People that run the place indicated that wish we could pay you but... Figured it was a platitude but times were tough.

But I am confused. Did you tell them you needed the money / would like to be employed with them? If I had someone happy to volunteer for me for no money and then later got money, I would see the opportunity to get double the help. Not just pay the person who was willing to help. So I wouldn't even ask. It might even seem that you are happy not being paid.

I did not convey nor tell them this. Their remark about paying me at the start was along the lines of if we could we would....then when the situation arises they look outside....

If I did not have problems then I would not be on this forum.....

Know the proper thing would just be to smile and perform my functions....

I just want to work things out in my head and get perspective from people that are far from this loop

Alone By Faults said:
If I did not have problems then I would not be on this forum.....

Err, everyone in the world has problems on this board or not.

If you do want to be paid, I would calmly go and talk to them. Don't put them in the position of explaining but just say, for further reference, you would like to be considered for any paid positions. I do feel like their overlooking you might not be on purpose and not specifically about you.

I think their line about wishing they could pay you was simply puffery to avoid an awkward moment.

But you shouldn't just continue working for free if you want to be paid. Sometimes people feel it is a sign of a "go getter" that you would say something.

They can pay someone else and still get your time for free! Yay management!

I'd bring it up so they know the problem. See how they respond. Then probably leave.

kamya said:

I'd bring it up so they know the problem. See how they respond. Then probably leave.

I agree with this.

Tiina63 said:
kamya said:

I agree with this.
Yeah, I would, too.
I actually have worked for and with nonprofits before, including on administrative stuff, and they are quite notorious for doing stuff like this. They want their cake and they want to eat it, too. Unless people make a big fuss about a problem nothing is ever going to change. But if you do make a big fuss about an issue they seem to all stop twiddling their thumbs for a moment.

If you don't say something, then they are just going to do it to the next person, too. And the next and the next and so on until someone says something.

Don't worry about what they'll think. They're the ones in the wrong here and they need to know that. I'm sure the reason you're volunteering is because you want to make a difference. Right? So make one here.

Alone By Faults said:
Know the proper thing would just be to smile and perform my functions....

I don't necessarily consider that the proper thing. This may not be the case, but I wouldn't want to be used like that, for sure. So, I would bring it up to whoever is in charge with all that. If they told me something stupid, something that just didn't sound right, I'd then see fit to leave. Because I don't think that's right of them to hire someone without even mentioning it to everyone already there.

No, they don't have to, but it's the common courtesy of it. Don't blatantly let people walk all over you and your efforts. But if you don't bother to say anything, then it'll be on you.

Latest posts

Back