Ready to actually overcome my problems

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, I am done complaining and crowning myself king of failures.

It's obviously much more productive to identify specific problems and deal with them individually. I have a number of smaller issues which are creating the biggest issue: My lack of self confidence. I don't mean confidence as merely comfort in talking to people. I mean it as self-belief. The confidence that I can do whatever I put my mind to.

I don't have a car and live with my parents. I have a job but I always wind up not saving much of it (I pay rent, only $200-$300). Embarrassing as it is, they are moving to Texas and I am moving with them, simply because I think Houston, Texas will be better for me than the Colorado Denver area.

So I guess the first thing I want to address in terms of a social life is the fact I will be in a new city knowing nobody but my parents. I will attempt to go to college there also, but college is taking a lot longer than I planned so I am not sure how it will all play out.

Anyway, could anyone give any advice on making friends as a 22 year old in a new city? I am not religious and I don't mind drinking/partying and that kind of thing, but I'm not loud and a terrible dancer.

Also, does anyone here know tips on landing a job? I'd prefer to work indoors. I have no degree, but a little cooking and dishwasher experience.

Congratz on being proactive :D

Most campuses, every single one as far as I know.. has orientation days/week/s and social groups. As an organisation they are very well aware that students often don't have a lot of free time and they facilitate something of a social life.

Perhaps you could start there.

I myself just moved cross country and straight into a shared household. In a few weeks, I have made friends with housemates and have even become familiar with certain shopkeepers who always say hi. Just get out there and be yourself :)

If you're still interested in restaurant work, your best bet is to start there. Or maybe do overnight work at a store. Those types of jobs also require an efficient work ethic and the ability to be on your feet all day. For job hunting, research various application sites or even look around and try places with "Now Hiring" signs.

Yes, that's the right mindset to have :) I hope everything works out for you :D

Maybe move somewhere else instead. Might do you good to be away from your parents. Wish I'd moved out earlier.

For a job i sugest you to deep inside in you and wait for what you like maybe you can work in a restaurant .As for making friends be optimistic be hapyy and social person and they will come to you .My advice its to have a smile on your face and people will speak with you .Just think at it if you see a similing girl and a angry and furious gilr o sad ,what girl its atract you more? yes i think the first option

MikkishtheLeper said:
Paraiyar said:
Maybe move somewhere else instead. Might do you good to be away from your parents. Wish I'd moved out earlier.

Exactly how? I have no car.

Is there a train system where you live or buses?

Paraiyar said:
MikkishtheLeper said:
Paraiyar said:

Exactly how? I have no car.

Is there a train system where you live or buses?

Absolutely no transit in the area south of Houston, Texas. And as of now, we are already on the way there.

Congrats on feeling ready to take on your problems. :)

Have you considered volunteer work? I think this might tackle two problems in one go. Volunteer work usually involves working with others and doesn't really involve drinking most of the time, so you might meet some new people there.

Employers also look for experience in a resume, so volunteer work is one way to get that experience without having to pay a cent.

Wishing for the best over there. Good luck! :D

Your mindset is amazing, and i wish you nothing but the best in life. Keep pushing forward!

Latest posts

Back